Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2011 10:20:40 AM EDT
Are they GTG for an AR, or should I stick with PMags, or what does the hive reccomend?
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 1:26:31 PM EDT
Stick with PMags
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 6:04:22 PM EDT
I would like to try one, but whenever I see them they are more money than PMAGs so I figure why bother.
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 6:43:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By colklink:
I would like to try one, but whenever I see them they are more money than PMAGs so I figure why bother.

Yep .................
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 4:19:13 PM EDT
I have a couple. They are a just as good as my GIs. I don't know who actually makes them for TAPCo.
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 4:38:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/25/2011 4:41:58 PM EDT by colklink]
Originally Posted By Bubbaguns:
I have a couple. They are a just as good as my GIs. I don't know who actually makes them for TAPCo.

I may be wrong, but I think he ment the polymer mags tapco sells, not their USGI aluminum mags.

This one I believe.

The MSRP on the site is $13.99, if they were say $9.99 I would be interested in trying a couple, but for the same price as Pmags, why not use Pmags?
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 6:48:13 PM EDT
the couple i have some where 'caused feed issues.  bought from different lots at different times..  i stuck with Pmags.  Get Lancers if you want something else to add some flavor for a different polymer mag.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 10:18:22 PM EDT
I bought a Tapco polymer mag and it has worked fine, no malfunctions,  but like others have said why not just use Pmags unless you can get the Tapco mags really cheap!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 6:45:10 AM EDT
The Tapco mags make excellent range mags. And for me that's all I ever need! I bought 10 of them back when they went to $14 before Pmags got cheaper and I'm still using the first one I opened. It is flawless in all my guns. No problems with any ammo including the Wolf.
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 9:28:13 PM EDT
Midway USA has Tapco polymer mags at $9.99 each. These are second generation (Dark Earth follower) in black, dark earth, and olive drab. I've yet to have a problem with them.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 12:26:24 PM EDT
I can't beleive people would buy them if they were "only" $10.  There have been Pmag and Lancer deals for $10 over the last year and usually a deal on a decent metal mag, (like the current D&Hs w/magpul followers for $8.50).  They would need to be $3-5 for me to try.
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 12:30:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By grun13:
Midway USA has Tapco polymer mags at $9.99 each. These are second generation (Dark Earth follower) in black, dark earth, and olive drab. I've yet to have a problem with them.  

I just clicked your link, says "life time warranty" and looks like all three colors available now.  Has anyone done a review on these yet?

Link Posted: 3/30/2011 3:56:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Speedfish:
Originally Posted By grun13:

I just clicked your link, says "life time warranty" and looks like all three colors available now.  Has anyone done a review on these yet?

i read the reviews on Midways site, they appear to be very hit and miss
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 10:49:34 PM EDT
I haven't had a chance to try mine out, but I was at Cheaper Than Dirt in McKinney, TX on Monday and they had the Tapco mags for $9.99 as a "managers special".  I ended up picking up a couple of them just to try them out.  (of course, they didn't have the ammo that I was there for to begin with, so not sure why I NEED more mags.  :) )
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 12:27:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By c5hardtop:
I can't beleive people would buy them if they were "only" $10.  There have been Pmag and Lancer deals for $10 over the last year and usually a deal on a decent metal mag, (like the current D&Hs w/magpul followers for $8.50).  They would need to be $3-5 for me to try.

It was a leap for me to even try PMAGs I figured why try a plastic mag when USGI mags work fine and cost less. I am glad I gave them a try. As for the tapco, if I ran across a smoking deal I would pick up a couple just for my own curiosity. But I do understand the ' just stick with USGI ' mindset. They work and are cheap.

Link Posted: 4/18/2011 3:18:00 PM EDT
I have tried both the polymer Tapcos and Pmags. I would go with Pmags every time without question. The Tapcos seem a little more "crude" in my opinion. The biggest thing I noticed was that if you are running tactical nylon, the Tapco's "ridges" will give you a lot of trouble when inserting/extracting mags from pouches. They will definitely be a friction fit. The Pmags are much more "aerodynamic" for lack of a better term, and will slide easily in and out of nylon pouches. I have never had a magazine-related failure in any of my Pmags (or any of my Tapcos for that matter) but I have witnessed a friend of mine have several magazine related problems with his Tapcos. The tactical nylon issue is a deal breaker for me as far as the Tapcos are concerned. Like it has been said before, get both to test them. It is largely a matter of personal preference, so find out what works for your needs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 3:23:46 PM EDT
Get some GI mags.
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 9:09:16 PM EDT
Buy some and try them. If they work for you, buy some more. If they don't work, call Tapco for replacement or refund.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:21:55 AM EDT
i have 3 tapco mags i bought recently, all seem to work fine .i paid $9.99 for mine ...try one, if u like it...great, if not send it back!!!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:24:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/5/2011 9:40:08 AM EDT by HeadCheese]
I guess the manager at Cheaper Than Dirt in McKinney thinks the Tapco mags are just a little more special now. I was in there yesterday, and the "special" is now priced at $11.95.

I was in there looking for Pmags, but apparently they don't carry them, or I was looking in the wrong place. Regardless, I picked up the Tapco to try out. It drops free in my Bushmaster Carbon 15, but feeding performance reports will have to wait until after the North Texas Monsoon season is over.

UPDATE: Magazine functioned flawlessly through many full loads without any issues, whatsoever. If I don't wind up getting any PMags, I may just stock up on these.
Top Top