Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/18/2003 9:22:00 AM EDT
But I am curious to know if anyone has mixed several bottles together as one, say a gallons worth.  Does it make a louder and bigger boom? I would think it would...

Anyone got some cool pics of it going off?
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes that has been done.  It does work, although I read a post here warning that 10 lbs is the practical maximum for optimal detonation.

There are hundreds of videos and pictures around here showing cars, manhole covers, stuffed animals, stumps all getting blown to bits by Tannerite.

Enjoy it while you can, it is only a matter of time before someone makes it illegal for civilians to posess without complicated licensing...
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#2]
10lbs?!  Now that would be fun...guess I've got a use for that old, dead Honda Prelude after all!!

[banana]
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#3]
10 lbs would be plenty to take care of your old Honda, but you don't want to be anywhere close when you shoot it!
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
But I am curious to know if anyone has mixed several bottles together as one, say a gallons worth.  Does it make a louder and bigger boom? I would think it would...

Anyone got some cool pics of it going off?
View Quote

I just use the standard 1/2 lb. charge. There is a limit to how much you can mix; detonation is not linear.

http://renegade.tgtech.com/4Fun/4fun.htm
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, you can mix several bottles together, but the container and shape of it will help make the determination of whether it explodes in a consistent fashion due to the low speed of detonation.  

Having said all that, I don't think more than 4 or 5 will make a difference.  

Oh, and:

[url=http://www.a-10.org/video/ShootingMan/SM01_Tannerite_Gong01.avi]6 charges vs. man hole size steel chunk[/url]
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a video someplace out there on the net that showed some guys stowwing an ungodly amount of tannerie under a car and shooting it. The hood blew off and must have gone 50-75 feet in the air.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#7]
We used 1/2 lb. charges at the range in the spring, blowing up old computers. DO NOT USE under 100 yards, to dangers for bystanders.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#8]
how much is the stuff?  what is it's  shelf life?  can you use it to remove stumps and "cut down trees"?
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a bunch of trees to take down.  If this stuff would do that I'd be in heaven!  
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#10]
what kind of consistency does it have?  can you wrap it into a snake or a worm and put a ring around a tree and "cut" with it?  or if not can you pour it into a tube like a garden hose and cut with it that way?  will it work as a shaped charge?  are there other ways to detonate it besides shooting it with a gun?
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#11]
we did blow down and split trees with it.

its a white pouder like flower...then you mix it with the gray stuff, and its feels the same.  it just looks like gray flower. just dont touch the gray stuff....it never comes out.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#12]
here's a video of a gallon going off...
[url]http://www.users.muohio.edu/cliftojd/misc/tannerite.mpg[/url]

this was taken at Bulletfest 4.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#13]
it won't hold a shape by itself, and I don't think you can detonate it by anything other than a high velocity impact....ie...rifle bullet.  If you get a shaped container you could do a shaped type charge i suppose.  I plan on trying that next time I get some.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#14]
WOW!  And I thought 1 bottle was way cool!

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~tomilling/images/dsc00522.jpg[/img]

That's about 20 magazines, 1 phonebook and 1 bottle of tannerite...
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Mixing them together does allow for a slightly larger blast, however, there are some limitations to this.

As for using it to blow down trees...

ilikelegs [s]and I[/s] against my advice placed a regular charge against a 4-5" diameter cedar limb.  Complete severing of the limb.  I suspect it would be effective up to an 8-10" diameter trees.

As for making a shaped charged.  I don't see why that would not work.  Use plastic for your container, since anything metal WILL be flying back at you.  100 yards MINIMUM safe distance against a bare explosive.  When you start ADDING materials on your side of the blast, I would recommend you get back VERY far.

Very, very far back.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#16]
This is the first I've heard of Tannerite. I looked at the website, tannerite.com; the gun target kit. Do you just mix together into a bottle then put it under whatever & cut loose? Once hit, it explodes? D/L a video now....(no cable, so takes forever). If you shoot the potion by itself, it sounds like TNT (says the site)? Definitely will have to order some!
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Thats exactly right.  Just mix and shoot with a high velocity round and boom!!!  Way freaking awesome!
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Use plastic for your container, since anything metal WILL be flying back at you.  100 yards MINIMUM safe distance against a bare explosive.  When you start ADDING materials on your side of the blast, I would recommend you get back VERY far.

Very, very far back.

TRG
View Quote

Thats how ILL almost became a woman! [rofl]
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use plastic for your container, since anything metal WILL be flying back at you.  100 yards MINIMUM safe distance against a bare explosive.  When you start ADDING materials on your side of the blast, I would recommend you get back VERY far.

Very, very far back.

TRG
View Quote

Thats how ILL almost became a woman! [rofl]
View Quote

He 'beacame a woman' when he started hormone treatments about two months ago.  Pay attention, Citabria.  ILL has been going through 'the change' for a while now.

TRG

ps.  No, I am not kidding.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#20]
It does sound like a stik of Dynamite.

[b]due to the low speed of detonation[/b]

HUH?
In E-mails to the creator/seller of the Tannerite, I found that it "explodes" at a faster rate than TNT, but by just a few "digits"

BISHOP
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top