Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 7:44:47 AM EDT
My new grip does not want to start onto the rail. The HG was advertised as mil-spec but I've read that these terms do get fudged a bit by some manufacturers. I was considering releiving/chamfering the front edge with an exacto a tad to help get it started but wanted to check with the experts first. The railed HG is a FF unit from DPMS, it was not listed as being incompatible as these were:
   *Fobus or First Samco Rails
   *ARMS S.I.R. System
   *Bushmaster BMAS

Is is possible they just don't fit the DPMS rails or is the extreme tightness normal and I just gotta force it a bit? Is a small hammer a bad idea?

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:05:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Okay, to answer my own question...

Using this chart provided by Tango Down (www.tangodownllc.com/pdf/BGV-MK46.pdf) the dimension near the bottom edge of the drawing "2X.367 MIN" is not correct on my HG. The HG accepted two different mounts from other manufacturers but unless I shave some material off the VFG is simply wont fit this HG.

So take this post not as a question but add the DPMS raild FF HG as incompatible with the "BGV-MK46" sold by Tango Down.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#2]
here you go tango down VFG
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a TD VG which fit fine on my Surefire M73 but wouldn't fit on my LaRue 7.0

Go figure.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:07:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Use some thing to hold down the dual locking bars( small zip ties fit great )

Put a little lube on both surfaces and push real hard. if that does not work you can tap it on with a block of 2x4 or something that will not hurt the rails or TD  FVG . Hope it helps

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I spent a few hours with a flat file and beveled off the inner edge of the top surface, used about a 45* angle and the new flat I created was about 0.20 inch. Then with some coaxing with a standard claw hammer and a small piece of wood to avoid damaging it it went onto the rail.

ETA: I appreciate the constructive advice I get here, I need to overcome my fears of using some brute force on this thing. It took me a long time to remove the FSB since I just wasn't hitting the taper pins hard enough. The BFH principle definitely applies to these things.

THANKS!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Finally got my TD VG on my YHM FF Rails...I also filed the upper outside edges then when I was able to slide it partially onto the rail, I took a block of wood and tapped it on with a hammer.  I think I filed enough so it tapped on pretty lightly.

Question, could this dammage the FF rail?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I got mine onto my YHM rails with a 2x4 and a hammer.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I really like the looks and functionality of the tango down VFG and was thinking of buying one, but for around $60, it should not take the modifying that ya'll are talking about to get it mounted.  Is there a better VFG out there?

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#9]
After modifying it, I think it was still worth it.  I've checked out the other grips and the TD is my favorite..but everyone has a diff. opinion.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:14:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I got mine onto my YHM rails with a 2x4 and a hammer.  

Rubber mallet here.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top