Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/25/2009 12:29:40 PM EDT
I've never use the clamps or couplers that join two 30rd magazines together but am interested in getting a few (if they work well). For those that have used them, please tell me how they perform and which type/style/brand you prefer.
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never use the clamps or couplers that join two 30rd magazines together but am interested in getting a few (if they work well). For those that have used them, please tell me how they perform and which type/style/brand you prefer.

I don't recall seeing any troops engaged in combat using the things, but I'm sure some have, at least for a while.

The only use I can think of them as useful for is in dumping a lot of ammo fast, as in using a full auto in an ambush.

if you don't have a full-auto, AND aren't in a position to be ambushed, then are not useful.

Besides, after you have used both mags, how do you stow the unit?  Kinda bulky, and it won't fit in most ammo pouches or dump bags.

I was thinking of them along the same lines of a spare shotshell carrier; another way to keep extra ammo at the ready and affixed to the weapon. Some of the ones I saw appeared to have a screw in the center to tighten them; maybe a type of screw head you could use a penny or something similar on? A thumbscrew would be even better, but I haven't seen any with those.

Link Posted: 7/25/2009 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Gimmicks IMO. If you want 2 mags, install a Redimag.
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's a good option too, thanks, I was unaware of those. I found this video that shows them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moas5mUD9yA
However, I prefer not to mod my rifle like that.

Link Posted: 7/25/2009 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I mean no offense, but let's cut to the bottom line.  I get the impression that you want to buy this thing, and want some advice and support.

Before you buy any gizmo, ask yourself: "What important need does this contraption meet that cannot be met in some other way?"

I figure you work for your money, and I'm just asking you to ask a quwstion of yourself.

If you gotta have it, and if it will change your life somehow, then go for it.

OTOH, maybe there are better ways to spend your bux...

No problem raf. I thought these things were more commonly used than they are, it appears. I've seen the the spring steel ones for as low as $4 so it's not like I'm trying to "bling" out my rifle. The spring steel ones may be shit, I don't know. Maybe there's a better one or maybe they're all shit?

What important need does this contraption meet that cannot be met in some other way? Well, I've already explained that to the best of my understanding but was looking for input from other who've used them. I've also seen (on TV) three-gun shooters using them with both mags as a sort of bi-pod or shooting rest when in the prone position.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2009 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep - no substitute! -

no mods to rifle needed - installs in minutes -
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#8]
When I was in Iraq, I had a "high speed, low drag" setup of something like this. I was there in 2003 and we really had no idea what to expect or what we would be facing, so I would take two mags and lay them on top of eachother and the one on top face it backwords! Then flip that mag long ways and slide it about 4.5-5 inches down so it would clear the mag well and put black duct tape to hold them together. For quick mag changes all you have to is hit the mag release and flip your mags real quick! Not the greatest of systems but works!

~Zach
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a good option too, thanks, I was unaware of those. I found this video that shows them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moas5mUD9yA
However, I prefer not to mod my rifle like that.

No modification necessary.  They just bolt on. I use the standard old school Redimag which can be found on eBay or the EE for $50.

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Actually I have found the setup to be very useful myself (mag clamp).  I only use one which is always in the gun (never touches a mag pouch).  Use what works for you, don't rule rule it out until it has failed...
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 12:47:36 AM EDT
[#11]
There's a bunch of different ones out there - most are crap. In particular, the ones that just wrap around the mag are prone to sliding up and down which is an enormous pain in the ass.

The only ones I've ever owned that were genuinely good where some pressed metal ones that I got at a surplus store they held the two mags at the base, base plates together with the mags angled slightly apart and staggered. Much smaller package than the ones that hold the mags parallel and no slippage possible. Don't know for sure who made them but I was told they were Isreali... Never seen any since though.

Whatever you get, make sure that it fits your mags really tight (not all mags are exactly the same dimensions outside of the mag-well. As has been mentioned, you may also want to look at the redi-mag system which is more expensive but more versatile.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top