Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/16/2017 9:12:25 PM EDT
So I took my gun apart for some maintenance and now the pivot pin is extremely tight. The only way I can get it in is with punch/hammer. Before that I could do it easily by hand.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Im experiencing this same thing on my Daniel Defense V11
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Lube and or light fine grit sandpaper.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you try buying it a few drinks and telling it that it looks like it's really been taking care of itself?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you try buying it a few drinks and telling it that it looks like it's really been taking care of itself?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Put a drop of oil in the detent channel and see if that fixes it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd avoid the sandpaper. Just clean up your surfaces and lube it. If it was good before you did maintenance, then something changed while you were doing maintenance, such as all the lubricant got removed, or you dirtied it up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
or you dirtied it up.
View Quote

According to Christine Aguilera that's a GOOD thing.....
Put a few drops of oil on the pin and maybe smear a dab of Vaseline in the groove in the takedown pin.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I never even knew there was a channel on the backside of the pins, as Ive never built a stripped lower from scratch........put a drop of CLP in the channel and that fixed my rear takedown pin being tight

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Had the same problem with a PSA Glock mag lower, a dab of grease on the detent pin channel got it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Did you remove the buffer tube?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#11]
The takedown pin and pivot pin issue is real, and applies to all AR rifles regardless of caliber.
A custom made rifle won't have this problem because it's hand fitted (and obviously you are paying for that).

The issue is large enough (no pun intended) that JP Enterprises now sells undersize pins to get around this very issue.

Before I assemble an AR I work on the pins to make sure they fit loosely. After painting, the pins are always snug.

The best cure for tight pins is to turn them down 2/1000ths or so on a lathe, or place them in a drill press and file/sand them from there.

It's not you, it's them.

G.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The takedown pin and pivot pin issue is real, and applies to all AR rifles regardless of caliber.
A custom made rifle won't have this problem because it's hand fitted (and obviously you are paying for that).

The issue is large enough (no pun intended) that JP Enterprises now sells undersize pins to get around this very issue.

Before I assemble an AR I work on the pins to make sure they fit loosely. After painting, the pins are always snug.

The best cure for tight pins is to turn them down 2/1000ths or so on a lathe, or place them in a drill press and file/sand them from there.

It's not you, it's them.

G.
View Quote

So his pin expanded?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

You owe me a keyboard...

But seriously... put whatever lube of choice you are using on the pin, and then punch it in and out several times, should loosen up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I love how some people make everything 27 times harder than it has to be. When something WAS working, and now doesn't, go for simple fix first before you redesign the whole rifle.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So his pin expanded?
View Quote

As the receiver lugs wore and settled in the geometry of the hole changed.
It happens.

I lap my receiver lugs before assembling.

G.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As the receiver lugs wore and settled in the geometry of the hole changed.
It happens.

I lap my receiver lugs before assembling.

G.
View Quote

And the pin is guided by the detent pin. Not like you can put it in up side down.
But the OP has not made mention if he took the pin out or not.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And the pin is guided by the detent pin. Not like you can put it in up side down.
But the OP has not made mention if he took the pin out or not.
View Quote

You don't need to remove the pivot pin from the lower receiver for the geometry of the hole (between the upper and lower receivers) to change.

Each time you separate your upper and lower, the pin is removed (entirely) from the upper receiver lugs. The anodizing or paint wears down, the upper settles in a bit more, and now your pins are tight.

One thing that is worth doing on all pivot and take-down pins is to radius the front of the pin. Hold the far end of the pin against a beltsander (gently!) at a 45 degree angle, and slowly rotate it. That helps the pin pass the sharp edge of the lugs from right to left.
The OP will still need to work his pin to a slightly smaller diameter, but it probably won't require much effort to do that.

G.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I would suspect the detent rather than the pin itself.
Alot of cheaper kits contain detents that are turned to a point that is too sharp, or out of steel, causing it to bind or grab when pins are extended to their max.

And I would not grind the finish off of my takedown / pivot pins by chamfering. If they are in spec and pass through when initially installed, they will be gtg. I have yet to see a pivot pin with a groove worn in it from the front lug, but I'm sure it can happen.  And as your upper lugs wear in, they will only get larger.

Oil is your friend.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top