Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 10:54:57 PM EDT
Hi folks,

As I await my grendel upper(backordered for a couple months), I am trying to decide on glass.

I have always used vari-x IIIs for my hunting rifles in the past. This is my first ar build for deer hunting. It is being designed as a light/handy rifle. However, it will also be used for stand hunting, in which shots could range out past 300 yards. 16" barrel.

I have been looking into some various scopes. I mounted one of my leupolds on a 14" ar last year and did some limited shooting with it. Seemed to be a good setup.

I have checked into some so called "tactical" models. What are the advantages of these units? They seem to be pretty pricey. Are they more durable? Better glass? Better coating?

I guess I am just looking for some reccomendations.

Basically, I want a scope that can allow me to take quick, close shots and still be able to reach out and touch bambi.

So far, the best choice(at least on paper) looks like this
IOR 2-12x32
http://www.riflescopes.com/products...rifle_scope.htm

On the less expensive side, I have also checked into this
burris 2-7x26
http://www.riflescopes.com/products...rifle_scope.htm

Since I am already familiar with leupold's hunting line, the mr/t tactical scopes would probably be a good choice. this
1.5-5 model seems like it would fit the bill nicely.
http://www.riflescopes.com/products..._riflescope.htm

let me know what you think.

-Boe

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not expert, but when I see the word "tactical" next to a scope, I immediately think it has the open, target style adjustment turrets and a Mil-Dot reticle.   This is the "tactical" setup because it allows for fast elevation adjustments and easy range estimation for the shooter.

I'm not convinced a "tactical" scope is any better built than the comparible hunting model from the same company.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#2]
If this helps you any...

According to my ballistics software (from Forest) that I modified to include the Burris Ballistic Plex reticle, the 6.5 Grendel follows the BP reticle more closely than any other cartridge I've ever tried to map!  It's less than an inch at ALL DISTANCES out to 500 yards!  I've also noticed that the matte Burris scopes I've owned have matched the finish of my ARs very well

I would wait a bit (while you're waiting for your rifle anyway) for Burris' new 2-7x35 with Ballistic Plex Reticle.  The larger reticle should give you a little brighter picture at dusk and dawn.

To add to what Glock24 said, my experience with "Tactical" scopes has been that they will have a very matte black finish, externally adjustable target turrets (sometimes covered), reticle illumination, and some sort of ranging capability in the reticle.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top