Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2015 9:40:11 AM EDT
Are there any tactical scopes that would handle the beating of a heavy caliber rifle?
 I would think that any reticle that is designed to keep a person alive while dealing with dangerous people in close quarters would be equally good when dealing with dangerous animals in close quarters.
I'm looking for a scope for my .416 rem mag bolt gun. It will probably do some work hunting in alaska where bears can be a threat, and also hunting in africa. The Bushnell AR Optics has an illuminated small dot in the center, a an illuminated large circle, and hold overs. This reticle would be just about perfect whether it be 1 magnification using the circle in the brush or more precise shots at longer ranges on 4x using the precision dot and/or preset holdovers. But being a $250 scope designed for AR15s I would expect it to fly apart in short order.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't do it. Use the sights that come with the gun. It's usually quicker and more reliable. Look into African P.H.s and see what they use.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Whatever works for a 50 BMG will work for the 416 RM.  But it can't be had for $250.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whatever works for a 50 BMG will work for the 416 RM.  But it can't be had for $250.
View Quote

That's a great point. I should probably be looking at US Optics.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wouldn't do it. Use the sights that come with the gun. It's usually quicker and more reliable. Look into African P.H.s and see what they use.
View Quote

This

A decent set of express sights will do you better.  

Go to Saeed's site and ask them.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Everyone has their own opinion on such things. Mine is there is nothing faster or more rugged than a receiver sight for instances where you have to shoot quick at a moving target through the brush. Leaf sights will cover up a good portion of your target, and you will tend to want to look over them. A low power scope would be my second choice.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Ghost ring (peep) rear sight with a fiber-optic front bead.  This is what I use on my brush gun and it's very quick and very rugged.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out the Trijicon accupoint 1-4
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow, that's it. Based on your suggestion I did a search and there are a lot  of dangerous game rifles wearing the trijicon with really pleased owners. It's not at all cheap. It seems like this is one of the times when it's expensive because it's worth it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#9]
There are scopes specifically designed for dangerous game rifles.  Typically 1-4x with capped turrets and designed to handle .458 Win Mag and 460 Weatherby Mag on bolt guns.  Been used for decades.  Zeiss Victory and Zeiss Varipoint, both illuminated 1-4x24mm are commonly seen.  They ain't cheap, but they are extremely rugged and impervious to heavy recoil.

A tactical scope with exposed turrets would be out of place.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:25:44 PM EDT
[#10]
My 458 (Ruger #1) has destroyed 3 scopes so far.   The first two were a cheap Tasco, a Burris, and it currently has a Bushnell that the zero bounces on.  I wouldn't trust any of the cheap scopes to last.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Light > Heavy
Fixed > Variable
Simple > Complex
Etched > Stadia Wires
Bold Reticle > Fine Reticle
Build Quality > Optics Quality

These are some things I consider for a more robust/durable scope on heavy recoiling/dangerous game rifles.
Eye relief is important. Field of view is important. Eye box is important.
Warrantees no matter how good, do not guarantee there will not be a failure 200 miles from the nearest replacement.
Mounts are the other part of the equation.
A lot of otherwise good scopes are compromised by improper mounts/mounting.
Even good/reputable scopes have a finite number of shot cycles in each examples lifetime.
Detachable mounts allow for a spare scope as a replacement.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:27:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Wow, that's it. Based on your suggestion I did a search and there are a lot  of dangerous game rifles wearing the trijicon with really pleased owners. It's not at all cheap. It seems like this is one of the times when it's expensive because it's worth it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, if you're going over to Africa on safari to hunt wildabeasts and rhinos, I think you're more than likely in the demographic that can afford a Trijicon Accupoint.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top