Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2003 8:18:45 PM EDT
Hello.  I am looking into purchasing a tactical vest.  I am looking at the BlackHawk Omega Cross Draw/Pistol Mag Vest.  I like this vest because it has AR15 mag pouches, a holster for my handgun, and handgun mag pouches.  What is your opinion of this vest or what would you recommend instead?  All input is appreciated.  TIA.

Link Posted: 9/7/2003 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me suggest this:

[img]http://www.lightfighter.com/item.html?PRID=850338[/img]

I prefer the Eagle Tac vests myself. While they are similar to the Blackhawk vests you mention, it is my opinion that the Eagle is more durable and comfortable. I would definately get one of these if you want to expect it to hold up to long-term use and abuse. On the other hand, if you will only give it light use and can still get in the $49 per vest sale at Galls, then you may find the Blackhawk good enough. Otherwise, get the Eagle.

Here's a big selection of various Eagle vests as well as a great place to buy them:

[url]http://www.lightfighter.com/generic.jhtml?pid=127[/url]

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag interested as well. Please include your reccomendations on thigh rigs and belts, as they apply to handguns (1911) and Ar and pistol mags.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:55:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm, you know something?  What we really need is a [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=10]forum for discussing tactical gear[/url].

Link Posted: 9/8/2003 5:34:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hmmm, you know something?  What we really need is a [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=10]forum for discussing tactical gear[/url].

View Quote

Ok so the guy posted in the wrong forum. But if you look in the gear forum there's hardly anything there. This way he gets more exposure. So how about offering an opinion? BTT
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#5]
belts:

[url]http://www.lightfighter.com/generic.jhtml?pid=30[/url]

Thigh rigs:

[url]http://www.lightfighter.com/generic.jhtml?pid=76[/url]

This type of gear is extremely personal. That means that what one person likes, another may not. Therefore I hate to recommend anything specific.

But for me, I prefer duty belts to web belts because they are more heavy duty and less prone to twisting. The loops at the bottom of the Eagle vest are made to help support the belt as well, so the belt doesn't have to be worn so tight that it's uncomfortable. Because I wanted my belt to match the OD color of my vest, I went with the Blackhawk. So far it has held up well. I assume several of the other belts would work just as well also.

I also chose the Blackhawk Omega VI Assault Holster for my Glock 17. I must admit that I tried to avoid Blackhawk gear as much as possible for personal reasons, but when I compared them all, this holster is what I liked most and bought. So far I still like it and think I made a good decision. The retention system and simpleness was what made me go with this particular holster.

Again, you can ask 10 different people this question and I would bet you will get 10 different answers. And none of them may be wrong! Just choose a manufacturer that makes quality stuff, then fine tune until you are left with the product/version that most suits you and your needs. Again, it's usually tiny details that really only matter to the individual that will ultimately help you decide what specifically you buy. Otherwise, they are pretty much the same, if they are all quality made.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ok so the guy posted in the wrong forum. But if you look in the gear forum there's hardly anything there. This way he gets more exposure. So how about offering an opinion? BTT
View Quote

a. Ignoring that forum will do nothing to increase the traffic in it.  

b.  You may be familiar with the term "signal/noise ratio"?  A low traffic forum populated by people who know what they're talking about is a Good Thing.

c.  By posting the question in the wrong forum the thread is much less likely to be found by those few people who actually bother to use the site's search feature.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry about posting in the wrong board.  I was not aware of the Tactical Gear section in the Armory Board.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry about posting in the wrong board.  I was not aware of the Tactical Gear section in the Armory Board.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]
SM1,

No worries, it is all good.

You might want to take a good look at the BHI Strike commando recon vest. this is PALs compatible chest rig with a optional bib and you can select the pouches depending on your needs.  the vest and four double 30rounds magazine pouches cross draw pistol pouch and a double pistol magazine pouch will run you about 175.00 this will get you on your way. and you can add more stuff to your load out as the needs grow.  excellent system for a starter gear head. it might be about 60 dollars more, but the added performance will be worth it.

Call Brad at Lightfighter to get your gear needs, Brad is the gear guru.  
[url]http://www.lightfighter.com/generic214.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#10]
SOE force Vest is another excellent option. Look over Brad's sight for a bunch of great equipment, call and talk with him about your specific needs and hell get you pointed in the right direction.

Clinth
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#11]
It would help to know what you are going to use this vest for. I, and most the guys I work with, have up to three different set ups. I have one that I use in the cities and on search warrants (BHI Omega EOD). 90% of the time when I need a vest this is what I use.
[img]http://www.blackhawkindustries.com/uploads/product_images/30VT05BK-All.jpg[/img]

The other 10% of the time I use my old LC gear. A lot of our guys use the military LBV with a Camelback. Some have gone to the D.A.O.V. from BHI for working in the woods in and around Marijuana grows. I'm too short and fat for that vest. But if you’re tall and lean then it isn’t bad. I am hoping to up grade to the ISSAK or the London Bridge version next spring and ditching my old LC.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I guess what I am really looking for is a vest that would be good for a SHTF scenario.  What would you recommend?
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#13]
The modular vests are great because you can set them upo any way you want.  My personal choice is a MAV from tactical tailor to hold AR mags and a seperate belt to hold canteens, first aid kit, pistol, etc.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#14]
There are a lot of good choices out there for a modular vest rig:

SOTECH HELLCAT MK 1 and MK 2
SOE Frog Modular
SOE Vest, Modular
Eagle MLCS
Eagle SF30AK Modular

Do yourself a favor and avoid the Non-Strike Blackhawk stuff. Some of us have used the Blackhawk Lifetime Warranty enough times to be on a first name basis with some of the staff over there. Through hard usage, most BH stuff won't last, although the STRIKE gear is better quality than the rest.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:00:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Eagle, SOE, and CQB Solutions are my favorites.

I have REALLY become hooked on CQB Solutions gear.
Will use BlackHawk if I have to.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:09:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the Eagle TAC-V1-N Vest and my friend has the TAC-V1-N-A.  We are both very happy with these vests.  They are extremely rugged.  A few things that I should note, though: 1) you need to get a black web belt with it 2) if you are under 155 pounds you may probably won't be able to adjust it to be entirely snug around your body 3) the mag pouches will hold 2 mp5 mags, and maybe 2 m16 mags each...but that's really stretching it, much better off to put 1 m16 mag each in them.  And AK mags will fit, I tried them, but the velcro flap is lifted a little bit so although they don't fit elegantly

If you want a vest that is a tighter fit, too bad, there is none :( but, there are loadbearing vests that will cinch up more in the back.  (this is an issue with me because i only weigh 145)
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:25:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Eagle Tac-V is great vest and my personal vest right now.

Want to spend more $$ and get the latest-greatest? Check out SOE gear..great new stuff coming out all the time! A vest/rig for every scenario you can imagine. SOE quality is 110% on everything I have ever handled by them. The stuff is darn near bulletproof!

Link Posted: 10/4/2003 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#18]
What about the Blackhawk Omega 1 tac vest from Galls for $50?  It's the BEST deal out there!

[url]www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=TE126[/url]

It's only available in OD(and apparantly black too), but I got mine and I love it!
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Red_dragon,

it says its available in black also.  but i'm sure there's a reason it costs 3 times less.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:06:58 AM EDT
[#20]
The Blackhawk vest is the normal one that sells for ~$135.  It is the best deal out there for ANY vest.  Granted, a lot of the guys here hate Blackhawk and everything about it, it is STILL a great deal and a great vest.  Not the best, but it will do for guys like me that can't ever drop $200+ for a vest.  I would love to get some of the expensive stuff out there, but I'm not rich and can't afford stuff like that.  My wife thought $65 was a lot for a vest that I don't use every day and night. [:O]

Maybe one day I will be able to afford the good stuff! [:(]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#21]
The MAV from Tactical Tailor isn't a vest, but it is cheaper than the Blackhawk Omega (unless you're getting the Omega in that Gall's deal), has better construction, is a modular vest so you can configure it any way you want, and the thin straps make it much more comfortable if you're wearing any kind of a backpack.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:57:20 AM EDT
[#23]
YOu m ight also look at Tactical Assault Systems, [url]http://www.tacticalassaultsystems.com/[/url]
They specialize in chest harness systems, and they are TOUGH and reliable. These guys are former GI's, and they know what works.
I visited with them in their facility, these guys know what they're doing.
Their modular chest systems can incorporate a modular holster (sold separately, but inexpensive) which is very secure and easy to access. With the modular system, you can arrange both pistol and rifle mag pouches where you want them, along with utility pouches, radio pouches, etc.
Their stuff is some of the best I've seen.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I have only SOE gear.

SOE Mountain Ruck
SOE Patrol Vest w/ SOE Pistol Belt
SOE Riggers Belt
SOE M9 Tactical Thigh Holster w/ lanyard
SOE MOLLE Mag Dump Pouch
SOE Buttpack
SOE 100oz camelbak carrier
SOE Radio Pouch
SOE SureFire Pouch

Of course for the time being I'm only 20 minutes from them in Oceanside.

GREAT GEAR
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Okay, I have narrowed down my selections to just two vests based on what I want and what I can afford.  Now I need a vote on which vest to get.  Here are my choices:

1. Eagle TAC-V1-N Vest

2. Tactical Tailor TAC 1A Rifle Vest

So which one would you get if it were up to you?

Also, what color would you recommend; black, OD green, woodland camo?

One more thing, which brand of web belt would you recommend.  I am looking at either the CQB solutions belt or the Blackhawk web belt.

Thanks for all your help and suggestion.

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 4:13:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Vests: Those are both good choices, unless there's a specific feature on one that you prefer it's really more a matter of price and availability.

Color: Depends on where you are but OD Green works just about anywhere.  Coyote Brown is another good choice for a generic do anything color but it isn't as commonly available and theres more color variation between manufacturers than with OD Green.

Belts: Anything from CQB Solutions is going to be better quality than anything from BHI.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I decided to go with the Eagle TAC-V1-N Vest and the CQB solutions belt.  They should be here Monday.  I will let you know how I like them.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top