Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/11/2004 7:04:10 PM EDT
Why does everyone hate it so much? What are the disadvantages? I personally like the look of it, anyone else?
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/product_images/701/ARR-303.jpg
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#1]
You can fit your fingers through those holes?!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I personally don't like the looks of it or see any advantages over a regular carry handle.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#3]
O.K.... I've been drinkin' here but, hey, honestly... to me... it looks poopy...
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
What would you attach to the sides?  What could you put on top that wouldn't be better on the flat top?  Oh yeah, it looks poopy too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the standard height Tactical C/H.  I needed a riser for a red dot and a BUIS, it fit the bill and took care of both needs, plus I got it in a sweet trade.  No way I would buy/trade into the one shown though, don't need the side rails or such heighth myself.

I forgot to mention, it's FUGLY!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:54:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You can fit your fingers through those holes?!

LOL good point I guess when I can finally call myself an AR owner I will steer clear of this. Im thinking filp-up rear with Aimpoint m2.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:55:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:58:46 AM EDT
[#8]
That looks somewhat like the DPMS High-Ryder (I think that is how they spell rider) but it has rails on the sides and a back iron site.  I like my DPMS High-Ryder, looks are good not great, eye-relief is so much better then an A3.  Only wish if had a dust cover.  Always places the shells in the same spot.

It's pretty nice.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What are the disadvantages?

1) Weight - it weights more than a comparable BUIS

2) Fewer choices of optics.  That unit was designed around the Aimpoint with the cheap-a$$ mounting ring that comes with the opic.  You can't use any of the GOOD mounting options and still co-witness. Most other optics are mounted way too high.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#10]
(1) It is not tactical.  It is an Aimpoint mount, period, and a poor one at that.  You must use the (non-QD) low Aimpoint ring, and the sight sits way too far back for a reflex.  

(2) It is not a carry handle.  It makes the rifle heavy without making it easier to carry.

I love RRA products; I've gotten a lot of good stuff from them.  I just don't know WTF they were thinking with this.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:38:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I wanna see someone that has one of those attach their VFG to the side rail... tha would be a riot.

I thought it was a cool idea back hen I first saw it because I don't have railed handguards.... but the more I thought about it the more useless it seemed... I'd rather just spend the extra money and buy a RAS
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#12]
To each his own, but the standard A2/A3 carry handle is still the best. Plus the tac carry handle is fugly, it looks like a black brick on top an AR.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I kind of like it because it is different, I really don't know if I would buy one or not.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#15]
That's not RRA tactical handle, It's one of those cheap copies you can get for Cheaper Than Dirt.

Real RRA handle doesn't have the side rails and has threaded hole on a side with protective cap( don't know what is it for exactly)

I have one and like it, much better then A2 IMO. 100 times sturdier for mounting optics then A2.  Got it for $75 shipped like brand new.

halik
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#16]
the threaded hole on the side of the RRA Tactical mount is supposed to be for some kind of battery. I have the RRA version and like the looks of it.  The DEA apparently like it as well, as they just contracted Rock River to be their main provider of their tactical carbines.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Poopy Poopy Poopy

And heavy too

And Ya'll know how much I hate heavy!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#20]
poop
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Everything is tactical these days!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I got one so I could have iron sights on my flattop, and use my Aimpoint.  The tact. "handle" and a detachable front sight were a lot cheaper than a flip up rear sight and a flip up front sight.  I guess you could say I got one because I was cheap.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:57:59 AM EDT
[#23]
My wifes came with it, I wanted her to use the irons first, and She likes it.

Was going to get real sights and optics but my cash stash went down after lay-off.

Better times ahead, better late than never.  Getting up on the charging handle with that short stock beats the shit out of glasses though.= .Still a good time
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:24:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm sorry to dissent.  I think this does have a purpose.

i am now working on putting a scope (simmons 3-9-50) on my flatt top, and was thinking of ways to leave on the buis.  the (crappy) mount pictured above, or the REAL hi-rider tactical UTE carry handle would allow me to use higher rings with the see through underside.

(doing my best impression of the replies to come:) "But then your line of sight is too high for a proper cheek rest"

answer: you can get used to anything.

My other option was to get a trirail riser, and pop an aimpoint on the side.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#25]
TROY- Settle down...
Regarding RRA getting the contract for the DEA, the articles I read did not deal with any other contractors. You also seem to be an authority on the Tactical handle for the DEA? Maybe you have yet to read the articles in several of the law enforcement magazines with photos showing the Tactical handle attached, to the DEA version.  Also, the RRA website has it included on their Entry Tactical LE carbine.  I can only reference what I read and see.
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I have the RRA one that was part of the 2001 LEGP deal. Once you ditch the ring that comes with the Aimpoint and get the Aimpoint "heavy duty" ring (about $25) it's plenty sturdy and does barely co-witness. It IS a good bit heavier than the best setups, and is limited by having only one choice of optic that works well with it. The mounting position of the optic is not quite far enough forward, but is still very useable. Bottom line, it's not even close to being the best, but it does work if it's used as intended. Personally I wouldn't go out and buy one now, but I don't see a need to dump the one I have - it's not THAT bad...

If you can get one cheap and aren't too picky, there are a lot of worse options.

BTW - the screw on cap covers a spare battery compartment that will hold 1 battery for the Aimpoint.

Link Posted: 5/15/2004 4:48:08 AM EDT
[#27]
As far as the tri rail it can serve the purpose of mounting your Aimpoint, whitelight, and laser without resorting to buying a seperate handguard system.  Just be glad that the manufacters offer what precieved needs there are.  Your needs may never be met otherwise.  
Have used tri rails on M2 HB .50 cals before.  It allows the use of PAS-13 (thermal night scope) on top and IR laser on side.  No room for other mounts.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top