Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2013 2:37:00 PM EST
Finally got everything put together tonight and can't get my gas buster charging handled and the bolt to go into the upper.
Do these conversions require a special "22" charging handle? I feel like an idiot asking this...

If yes, what's the best one to use with this bolt and upper combo?

Thanks

ZA
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:42:29 PM EST
A standard charging handle should work fine.
Never tried a gas buster.

Dave N
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:03:58 PM EST
I believe that the gas buster is pretty non standard......just use a mil spec charge handle and you'll be good to go.

Tim
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:29:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/9/2013 3:29:55 PM EST by BrewerJA]
iv never had good luck with my standard charging handles using those conversion bolts (even with a dedicated). what i did was bought an el cheep-O CH off amazon, and filled the inside of the handle groove with some epoxy, then sanded out the necessary materiel to give a relatively close fit, but does not contact the reciprocating conversion bolt during the firing cycle. I use this charging handle more often when i use the 556 chamber adapter, as that seem to have less back pressure and causes stovepipes occasionally. with my CH mod, i have not seen a stovepipe or jam since. My dedicated kit runs perfectly, i havnt had that puppy jam up on me yet but for safe measures, i have another cheap ass CH with the epoxy mod, for my dedicated upper 22 plinker. if you fellas need a picture to better show the mod, let me know and i will post one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:52:46 PM EST
Just tried one of my Rainier Raptor charging handles and it worked fine. Tried the gas buster again and I still couldn't get it to work. I thought I had an extra charging handle lying around, but I can't find the damned thing.

Looks like I gotta buy one... Dammit.

ZA

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:56:11 PM EST
CMMG makes an "Anti Jam" charging handle but it's plastic and shown to break.

If your conversion is throwing empties into the charging handle, you have other issues going on.

Dave N
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:02:14 PM EST
It's where the top of the bolt interfaces with the charge handle.

On the top of the bolt....you have the recoil tube welded on....and it is radius'd to fit on the 'bottom' of the charge and mate with the radius.

The gas buster doesn't have huge radius....rather more of a ramp.

Yeah....had to explain without pictures.....but if you compare them, you'll get it.

Tim
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:08:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/9/2013 7:12:35 PM EST by gunnut003]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TACCOM3G:

On the top of the bolt....you have the recoil tube welded on....and it is radius'd to fit on the 'bottom' of the charge and mate with the radius.

Yeah....had to explain without pictures.....but if you compare them, you'll get it.

Tim
View Quote

PRI gas buster CH on the left, CMMG CH plastic in center, Standard CH filled with epoxy (I will need to refill the holes in the channel to make it smoother...)

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:16:26 AM EST
Mine functions great with both the standard GI CH and the CMMG 22 charging handle. Sound advise from guys on this board told me to just use one of my standard GI CHs but I couldn't quite get past the thoughts of my Spikes upper from a few years ago ALWAYs throwing empties into that channel in the CH and causing jams... so I bought one of the CMMG 22 CHs on Amazon when it was on sale.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:37:00 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TACCOM3G:

Tim
View Quote

I should have gotten a CH from you when I ordered the upper and barrel and bolt... Dang it!

ZA
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:57:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/10/2013 2:58:25 PM EST by BrewerJA]
Yeah, 556 to. 22lr caliber conversions tend to toss the brass into the CH channel pretty often, the epoxy trick works like magic. I have a plastic anti jam handle, but it didnt work for the conversion kit (works great on dedicated uppers) my issue was it didnt have a spot drilled for the gas tube in my regular AR upper. Ofcourse, me; in my infinite wisdom, i decided to drill a hole out so that i can use it with my gas tubed setup. Plastic handle broke infornt of the drill site shortly after, and i have since gone the epoxy channel route. I left enough room for the gas tube in the epoxy handle so that i can use it on both my dedicated and my chamber adapter setups.

On another note, i have a gas tube plug and pin, that came with my spikes 22 bolt kit. I guess your suppose to swap out your gas tube and plug your FSB/gas block with this contraption to increase back-pressure and reliability, and it throws the cases out a little more violently. but i have zero interest in pressing out the GT pin and removing my GT to plink through my 1/7 twist AR rather just use my "epoxy handle" and clean it really good after.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:46:16 PM EST
I have used the CMMG plastic handles for quite a while...thousands of rounds...and never had one break yet. As for cases stuck in the handle...had an old Spikes that did that but dumped it and moved on. Never really had the problem again. But then....about that time I had switched over to the CMMG handle. I know some have said they break but I can not confirm that from my personal experience. Maybe I am just not hard enough on stuff.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:23:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 1:36:40 AM EST by shadowcop]
Unfortunately the CMMG anti jam charging handles can break in the latch area.
Several have arrived broken with an unopened upper. Others were broken when charging the upper.

Probably due to voids in the molding process. Couldn't be detected by sight.
I had one break but only one out of 6.

CMMG will replace it when you send them a picture of the broken charging handle.

Dave N
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:49:46 AM EST
We use standard aluminum charging handles in both our CMMGs. The Plastic handles were the first thing we tossed when we received em..Had no need to fill the channels either. Have never had a empty round in 1000s of rounds stick in there..
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:37:23 PM EST
I run the CMMG on all my .22 AR's, I havent had one break.

MAHA
Top Top