Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/9/2006 11:46:45 PM EDT
So I put a scope on my 20" and I want to be able to get to the charging handle easier .

Between the Badger Ordnance Tactical Latch and the PRI Big Latch , which one would you go with and why?

Any cons I should be aware of ?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:51:40 PM EDT
big latch

the tac latch is poorly designed
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:58:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2006 11:58:16 PM EDT by jcovercash]
I have a Badger Ord on my 2 AR's but Ill probally put a PRI gasbuster charging handle w/ big latch on my next AR to give it a try.....

But I like the Badger Ord. ones well enough.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:04:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TacticalOpsAR:
big latch

How so?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:59:21 AM EDT
i like the pri
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:47:56 AM EDT
PRI big latch. I have them on all of my builds

havent heard anything good about the BO one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:55:59 AM EDT
Badger Ordinance Gen II. It's a smaller version of the 1, shaped more like a sideways trigger. It doesn't get caught on gear near as much. The PRI "Gasbuster" is good, but if you've got the charging handle in place, should you really be getting that much gas in the face?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:37:08 AM EDT
I prefer the Badger Gen 1 latch, I have never tried the PRI and I'm sure it's a great product but I am very happy with my Badger gen 1
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:41:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Kodiak-AK:

Originally Posted By TacticalOpsAR:
big latch

How so?

it's one of those rumors that won't die

the very first gen 1's had a sharp hook that would tear up the reciver but the problem has been fixed for a long time now and they work perfect.

one of the dealers here posted a thread about this very thing a few days ago

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:59:14 AM EDT
I use the PRI Military Latch on all of my AR's
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:53:38 AM EDT
Forget about the naysayers pissin' on the gen I tac latch, they probably don't own one. I have one on my AR and I'm quite happy with it. If you're putting on a large scope then the gen I tac latch will be easier to reach/operate than the others. My advice is go to a gun shop that has an assortment of latches on display/available, play with them and decide for yourself what will work best for you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:47:48 AM EDT
I like my Tac Latch better than my PRI latch...the PRI is still difficult to reach and operate under a scope compared to a Tac, or the stock latch.

The only negative comment I have for the Tac, is that it sticks too far out to comfortably sling the rifle on your back, with the tac facing you...it digs in.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:54:23 AM EDT
I use the Gen I Tac Latch on my designated marksman rifle. I've found that it's the best for easy reach under a scope eyepiece, definitely beats the PRI or the Gen II. The old problem with the claw being too sharp has been fixed for a long time.
I don't know about the latch digging in when the rifle is slung over your back; I never sling mine over my back, and I'm wearing armor anyway. At first I thought it might get caught on the various pouches on my IBA, but this hasn't been a problem in the eight months I've been using it.

All that being said, if you get the chance check them all out hands on so that you can pick what works for you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:14:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Leg:
My advice is go to a gun shop that has an assortment of latches on display/available, play with them and decide for yourself what will work best for you.

I agree %100 . I wish I could , but I live in a closed market and just up and driving to a place that carries EBR stuff is not happeneing . Every now and then some one might carry an EBR itself but for doodads I am on my own and have to buy to try to get it here .
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:27:55 PM EDT
Badger Ordnance Gen I is on my duty Colt LEO 6920 M4

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:20:12 PM EDT
Badger gen 2 is made out of steel and will eat up your upper. I read about this problem in a thread a couple weeks ago, so I inspected mine. Sure enough, it had already started. It's not that bad, but I'm definitely going to put the factory piece back in before it gets any worse.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:05:55 PM EDT
The PRI GasBuster is needed/used by guys who are using cans. In my opinion the GasBuster isn't needed on an unsilenced rifle. Use the BigLatch.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:36:08 PM EDT
I have the BO gen 1 latch on a Bushmaster M4A3 and my Armalite AR10A4. So far I like them very well. The AR10A4 has a low mounted scope and this latch makes it very easy to get to the charging handle. On th M4A3 I can use my off hand to hit the charging handle getting a very fast bolt charge. JMTCW.....Trapfan.
Top Top