Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/1/2002 12:49:15 PM EDT
I'm looking to replace my Mini-Y with something a little less violent and, I have heard good things about Kurt's Kustom Firearms (I searched long and hard), but what I still can't tell is if it would be better to get a muzzlebreak that looks like a FS or just a fake FS. Is it worth the extra noise or should I just go for the look? I know the KKF TacBrakes aren't as noisy as Mini-Ys but I wonder if it really matters if I have any sort of recoil compensation anyway?

It's an opinion call for sure, but I'm betting some of the experts can make it a little more clear.

thanks
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:29:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2002 7:30:17 PM EDT by AJjer_Bullets]
Nobody has a thought?

BTW: I meant fake FS when I wrote "fakebrake" in the title.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 5:40:51 AM EDT
I like the brakes. My favorites are Kurts and Wilsons. I havent found either of them to be much different blast wise than a standard A2 flash suppressor. Remember, brake are incapable of generating any noise. They mearly redirect existing noise. The mini y comp just directs it at more of a rearward angle, so you notice it more. That is partly what makes it so effective as a brake.

(disclaimer- the above info is just my personal findings and opinions and is worth exactly what was paid for it. Nothing.)
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 6:00:32 AM EDT
I have both. Kurt's tac brake is a great item, gives you an authentic looking device and would recommend it for any post ban AR, especially 20" barrels. I had a fake brake installed on my 16" Colt 6731, mainly so I would'nt have any blast and keep the OAL at 16". The fake brake looks exactly like an A2 FS. Both will require you to send your barrel or upper to KKF and mine took about 2 months to get back from the time I shipped it. You may want to contact KKF and see what they recommend for replacing the Mini Y-Comp. If you have a 14.5" M4 barrel you may not be able to do the fake brake and Kurt may have to use his A3 brake to keep barrel length legal.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:27:00 AM EDT
I have a A3 (long length) Fake Brake from Kurt's on my post-ban Bushy M-4. Needless to say -- it's GREAT ! ! Removed the Mini Y-Comp from the barrel and installed the Fake Brake in about 20 minutes. If you need info on how to do this, just let me know. Thanks ! !
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:22:03 AM EDT
You were able to do it yourself? Of course I'd like to know how!
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 3:21:57 PM EDT
Let me say one thing before we get started: in no way am I trying to take work for Kurt ! ! Seen his work, seen his products. Excellent in EVERY way ! ! It's just I like to "try it myself" ! !

O-K, order your Fake Brake from Kurts. The good to your local hardware store and get a pack of "reinforced cut-off wheels" for your handy-dandy Dremel tool. Remove handguards and "chuck" your upper in your barrel vise blocks. GO SLOW ! ! ! The Y-Comp is made of VERY hard steel. Cut the end off the brake, close to the muzzle. Then, GO SLOW, and make a cut in the remainder of the brake, at the 6:00 and 12:00 positions. GO SLOW ! ! ! Cut down to the threads, and as close to the peel washer as you can. Then . . . . . take a tool known as a "nut cracker" and place on the brake. GO SLOW ! ! ! Tighten the nut cracker, and the brake will "crack in half" and fall off. You may have to "crack" the brake at the 12:00 and 6:00 positions. After brake falls off, clean-up the barrel threads with a wire brush. Install brake as per Kurt's instructions (I have a 14 1/2 inch barrel. Local welding shop placed a "tac weld" over the blind pin hole -- to make it legal -- for the total cost of a cup of hot coffee and a fresh donut ! ! ) Appears the Mini Y-Comp was attached the barrel buy TWO blind pins that were "welded over" -- no silver solder or ? ? ?. After the brake "cracked", it just fell off ! ! Any questions, please let me know. Hope this helps ! !
Top Top