Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 10:11:09 PM EDT
I was totally happy that my new Troy flip front BUIS was here.  I mounted it up, flipped it all of 4 times or so, then took it off for closer inspection because of a light looking spot on the pivot point.  Well, the blasted thing ATE A HOLE/DIMPLE ON MY SAMSON RAILED FOREND!    The light looking spot on the pivot point was the aluminum eating away on my Samson forend.  There is a roll pin just above the pivot point and I guess it wasn't tapped in all the way.  I didn't even feel any resistance when I flipped the sight up and down the few times I tried it.  

I seriously wanted to order the Troy rear BUIS to go along with my front BUIS, but I don't know what to expect now that this happened.  Is this roll pin going to walk out when I shoot causing even more damage in the future?  Plus I see that a lot of the rear BUIS's are canted to the left.  I don't want/need a BUIS that is going to eat holes on my premium AR15 equipment and have a possibility of being tilted because of a manufacturer's problem.  I guess I'll start looking at an ARMS 40L.  

Now, I don't expect Troy to back this thing up and replace my Samson rifle forend, but man would it be nice if they would make this right somehow.  I'm going to leave the Troy front BUIS on since I've already worked on the roll pin and have put it where it should have been in the first place.  MOST importantly I'm leaving the sight on because I have to cover the bare aluminum hole on my rail.  

-X  

(pics added)

*Update*

Scott at Samson Mfg. has contacted me letting me know that he is willing to work this situation out with me to my satisfaction.  But IMHO this is by no means a Samson issue and I don't hold them responsible at all.  I let Scott know that his products are top notch, his customer service is even better, he has the best business ethics of any company out there, and he has earned a life long customer.  Now I need to dig up the money for the Samson FFS.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Troy and Samson don't go well together
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:22:20 AM EDT
[#2]
It's not Troy's fault the Samson rail is out of spec.

I know this isn't the case,but just thought I would say it before someone else did.

IOW,tag for pics
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive got the same setup, worked fine for me.... maybe u got a lemon sight...?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a few pics with what I'm talking about.  Sorry about the long delay.  

The first two pics just show the dimple that was ate away on the rail.  The second two pics are to show the roll pin on the Troy sight that caused the damage.  (Sorry, the pictures don't show the depth of the dimple very well at all.)

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:35:38 AM EDT
[#5]
looks real bad....get a dremel on to that roll pin and use a sharpie on the rail...try that aluminum finish from Birchwood Casey...a real pain but whatelse can you do?it will cost you more on shipping then to fix it yourself..
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:13:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Here's a few pics with what I'm talking about.  Sorry about the long delay. The first two pics just show the dimple that was ate away on the rail.  The second two pics are to show the roll pin on the Troy sight that caused the damage.  (Sorry, the pictures don't show the depth of the dimple very well at all.)

If it was me, it wouldn't bother me in the least. Then again, I would have looked the sight over before I stalled so I would have caught the problem with the roll pin and avoided the problem altogether. Consider it a lesson learned.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
.  I'm going to leave the Troy front BUIS on since I've already worked on the roll pin and have put it where it should have been in the first place.  MOST importantly I'm leaving the sight on because I have to cover the bare aluminum hole on my rail.  

-X  

]

If you can't see it with the sight mounted, and it doesn't affect the function of the sight or the rail, I don't see a huge problem...
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Um.

Put the rifle back in the safe?  If you don't ever use it, there's no chance it will ever get scratched again.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Um.

Put the rifle back in the safe?  If you don't ever use it, there's no chance it will ever get scratched again.

I love comments like this.  They really do help matters.    Just because this situation doesn't affect YOU, you feel like you have the earned right to be a smartass.  

Anyways, I believe it to be total bullcrap that this supposed "top of the line" BUIS would do this.  How much worse is the damage going to get if/when the roll pin walks out?  Will it actually walk out enough to cause the sight not to raise if I need it in an emergency situation?  Why should I question if this sight will work if or when I NEED it?    

I actually did look the sight over and didn't notice the roll pin sticking out like it was.  By just looking the sight over, it would have been a hard catch for most people.  I did learn a lesson though.  Don't buy Troy products.  I'll buy Samson from now on since they obviously back their product completely (read the bottom of the first post).

Take this thread as a rant I guess.  I'm tired of paying top dollar for so-so products.  If I wanted to buy something for my AR that I can't count on, I'll buy a Chinese knock-off and save a ton of my hard earned cash.  

-X
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow, between this and the cant issue on the rear Troy BUIS, I need to rethink my BUIS purchase
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I had one do this same thing. Fixed myself and put the sight back on. I still feel they are a pretty good product. I'm sure troy will at least replace the sight if the pin keeps walking out. Forget the scratch, there will be more as soon as you start using the rifle once you get it all put togather.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#12]
is it for function or for show? Isn't it called a "battle sight"?  Look at the pictures of the folks that are really using their rifles for battle...they aren't pristine.  I like a clean rifle/accessories also, but my Larue eotech mount leaves marks...shit happens.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top