User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/28/2022 8:26:04 PM EDT
TRIARC Systems Bolt Carrier:  A Quick Look

For some time now I’ve been interested in trialing a bolt carrier that has been coated with NP3 (electroless nickel TEFLON).  NP3 has attributes that are potentially beneficial to the reciprocating parts of the AR-15 such as the bolt and bolt carrier.  A relatively new company with a growing reputation for quality called TRIARC Systems sells just such a bolt carrier.

The TRIARC bolt carrier weighs the exact same amount as a full-auto Colt bolt carrier; 9.4 ounces.  The carrier proper is made from case hardened 8620 steel, while the gas key is made from 4140 steel.  The gas key is fastened to the carrier using Grade 8 hardware.  The aft section of the bolt carrier has a small radius on the external diameter to aide in the smooth entrance of the bolt carrier into the receiver extension/buffer tube.

The staking on the gas key is nicely done.

The NP3 coating on the bolt carrier gives the carrier the most lubricious feel of any bolt carrier that I’ve owned; including my JP Enterprises bolt carriers.

The length of the TRIARC bolt carrier is 6.672”, which meets the US mil-spec.  The internal diameter of the gas key is 0.181”, which also meets the US mil-spec.

The bore of an AR-15 bolt carrier can be thought of as being divided into three different sections with critical dimensions.  Starting at the front of the carrier, the “bolt run” section of the bolt carrier interfaces with the “land” on the bolt.  This section of the Triarc carrier has an internal diameter of 0.531”, which as before, meets the US mil-spec.

The next two sections of the bore of the AR-15 bolt carrier are extremely important for the proper function of the gas system. The gas system of the AR-15 is commonly referred to as a “direct impingement” system.  In actuality, the AR-15 uses a gas piston system with the tail of the bolt and the gas ring section being the piston and the two sections of the bore of the bolt carrier being discussed forming the cylinder.

The second section of the bore of the bolt carrier interfaces with the gas rings on the bolt and this section of the TRIARC bolt carrier has an internal diameter 0.4995”.  The third section of the bolt carrier interfaces with the tail of the bolt and this section of the TRIARC bolt carrier has an internal diameter of 0.2515”.  Both of these dimensions meet the US mil-spec and when combined with a bolt with the proper dimensions should produce a highly efficiently functioning gas system.

I checked the firing pin protrusion on the bolt that I received.  With the supplied firing pin, the protrusion was 0.0295". With a new Colt firing pin the protrusion was 0.0290".  I also checked the headspace of the bolt with a 16" TRIARC Track 2.0 barrel.  The bolt closed on 1.4646" gauge.  The bolt did not close on a 1.4666" guage.

The mil-spec for the inside diameter of the bolt face is .380", with a tolerance of plus .005".  The inside diameter of the bolt face of the TRIARC bolt that I received is ~0.3825".

It is interesting to note that the cam pin hole on the TRIARC bolt does not have relief cuts like a Colt bolt.  Neither does a Hodge bolt.

It's truly refreshing to see a relatively new company in the AR-15 arena that isn’t just a lot of hype and that is straight forward with the customer as to the materials their components are made from.  In addition to that, the NP3 coating on the Triarc bolt carrier is quite aesthetically pleasing.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Worth mentioning the NP3 and NP3+ was discontinued for the retail market 10/21. I believe it is still in use for mil and aerospace.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:42:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I handled a Triarc rifle at my local gun store about 2 years ago and it was a work of art…the nicest AR I have ever laid my hands on.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Great post molon! Triarc did the cerakoting on my 12.5" SBR. They did a fantastic job.

They're a local business to me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesnt Sionics have a NP3 BCG ?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice, very gas efficient bolt carrier with those internal dimensions.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Worth mentioning the NP3 and NP3+ was discontinued for the retail market 10/21. I believe it is still in use for mil and aerospace.
View Quote

It wasn’t discontinued, the shop that provided it simply closed down.  Another shop took over the retail side, can’t remember the name though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Great post molon! Triarc did the cerakoting on my 12.5" SBR. They did a fantastic job.
View Quote

Hmmm.  I have some parts currently in need of cerakoting.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, shit. Now I want one and I didn't even know this was a thing ??
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Discontinued by Coating Technologies. The owner and applicator of NP3 family of finishes.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The NP3 coating on the bolt carrier gives the carrier the most lubricious feel of any bolt carrier that I’ve owned; including my JP Enterprises bolt carriers.

In addition to all of that, the NP3 coating on the Triarc bolt carrier is quite aesthetically pleasing.

View Quote

Molon, are you referring to your JP chrome carriers for that comparison?

I love hard chrome, especially suppressed, but they are getting hard to find.  I have NiBo, but I am not impressed, the nickle teflon has had my interest, lately

I would be interested to hear your impressions after 1000 rounds suppressed!

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hmmm.  I have some parts currently in need of cerakoting.

View Quote

I was happy with them. The downside is since they're a new company they are small and turnaround can be lengthy. I dropped it off in January and got it back in April.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Umm then how did I get a Sionics NP3 that was produced Dec21 and a Triarc NP3 that was produced Jan22?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was happy with them. The downside is since they're a new company they are small and turnaround can be lengthy. I dropped it off in January and got it back in April.

https://i.postimg.cc/jq1TRV4T/C40-DE470-11-D5-4-D1-A-9032-8956-B4-F8-AA47.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/fy1QCXRy/85255364-8-CB8-40-ED-A267-D10-BE4472443.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/vBqs1CRW/2-D61-CA01-4-CE1-4619-814-A-3-D41459-B8-A28.jpg
View Quote

Way cool!
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It wasn’t discontinued, the ship that provided it simply closed down.  Another shop took over the retail side, can’t remember the name though.

Quoted:

Discontinued by Coating Technologies. The owner and applicator of NP3 family of finishes.

Quoted:

I suspect the patent has long expired on that process.

Quoted:

Umm then how did I get a Sionics NP3 that was produced Dec21 and a Triarc NP3 that was produced Jan22?

Interesting....

3 of 4 bolt carriers I own are NP3: Sionics, FCD, and an LMT E-BC that was sent to Robar for NP3+. I guess I bought into the hype but I don't regret it .

Who does this coating anymore?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Better question is how'd you get the Sionics bcg?  I didn't even see them hit the website after their IG announced back in stock.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Who does this coating anymore?
View Quote

benjam8291 is correct, the shop that was offering RETAIL np3 services has stopped as of Oct. last year.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I have two LMT and one DD whole uppers sitting on a shelf in favor for Triarc whole uppers.

They are top notch.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:04:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I had a Scout Squad M1A done in NP3 by Robar back in the late '90s. It was an awesome looking rifle. Sold it for crazy money around 2010.
I have another plain Jane Scout Squad.

Wish someone as good as Robar was doing NP3 now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:22:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Triarc know what they're doing, their ARs are top notch and the tri-lok rail is excellent.

They just need to be careful as they grow. Lead times are getting out of hand, a friend of mine has been waiting on a factory build for almost a year with no meaningful updates. Scaling is hard and I give them the benefit of doubt (without knowing anyone there first-hand). They need look no further than the shop up in PA that is clearly outdriving their headlights.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Robar stopped taking individual work.

That doesn't mean they are the only one applying this finish.
View Quote
Wright Armory had taken over Robar's coating business.  It looks like the poster who said NP3 was discontinued was correct though.

https://wrightarmory.com/np3-metal-finishing/
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#25]
I like their barrels a lot. I only have two, but they are accurate and properly gassed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They need look no further than the shop up in PA that is clearly outdriving their headlights.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Hype company that doesn’t bring anything to the table new. I owned a 12.5” middy rifle and really wasn’t blown away like everyone else seemed to be. Ended up selling it to a nerd who couldnt live without one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have two LMT and one DD whole uppers sitting on a shelf in favor for Triarc whole uppers.

They are top notch.
View Quote

That is a pretty good testimony....LMT and DD and way up there...
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Robar stopped taking individual work.

That doesn't mean they are the only one applying this finish.
View Quote

I thought Robar closed down completely
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I like their barrels a lot. I only have two, but they are accurate and properly gassed.
View Quote

I'm looking forward to seeing how their Single Edge Polygonal Rifling performs.

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Better question is how'd you get the Sionics bcg?  I didn't even see them hit the website after their IG announced back in stock.
View Quote

Black Friday they had a pre-order that was supposed to ship mid January, I ended up getting it end of December.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm looking forward to seeing how their Single Edge Polygonal Rifling performs.
View Quote

Likewise. There were/are rumors that it could increase velocity, all other factors being equal. I guess we'll find out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Molon, are you referring to your JP chrome carriers for that comparison?
View Quote

My JP bolt carriers are QPQ nitride . . .

Link Posted: 1/30/2022 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Those gas key bolts are junk no matter how pretty the useless staking is.

Link Posted: 1/30/2022 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

My JP bolt carriers are QPQ nitride . . .

https://i.ibb.co/QFGH2Qy/jp-fmos-bolt-carrier-003.jpg

View Quote

Gotcha.  The JP, and the ToolCraft nitrided are definitely slick.  Took me a minute to warm up to the nitride thing.  Still haven't gone beyond a couple of BCGs.

Link Posted: 1/30/2022 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I've had one for about 5 yrs or so.  No issues with it.  Picture below of it.
Mine is also engraved NP3 by the gas port holes.  Yeah I know it's filthy.  Still runs fine.  Quick wipe with towel and crud comes right off.

However, I pretty much just run a Surefire carrier these days.

Link Posted: 1/30/2022 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#38]
I had my SR-15 BCG NP3'd a while back. Definitely cleans easier, but doesn't retain lube as well.

It is nice being able to just wipe it down to clean it, but I'm not sure that it makes a difference in the number of rounds I could shoot without cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#39]
The lube running off issue is why the military quit chroming the whole carrier.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#40]

I was unaware of this; now, i'm intrigued...
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is nitride similar to NP3 in this way?
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably. The main problem I’ve seen with nitrided carries is that the raw machinings were made according to spec, but the nitride doesn’t add dimension like the chrome and the gas key bore ends up slightly oversized.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Gotcha.  The JP, and the ToolCraft nitrided are definitely slick.  Took me a minute to warm up to the nitride thing.  Still haven't gone beyond a couple of BCGs.
View Quote

You were probably thinking of the Young Manufacturing bolt carriers that I've used in several builds.

Chrome . . .

Ionbond over chrome . . .

Link Posted: 1/31/2022 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#44]
You ever mess with the TiN coated stuff? Seems like it would work and who doesn’t like a little bling
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You ever mess with the TiN coated stuff? Seems like it would work and who doesn’t like a little bling
View Quote

Only on neck bushings and case trimmers.

Link Posted: 1/31/2022 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

The NP3 process is an nickel/teflon coating.  It's highly lubricious and will function without lubrication.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've had one for about 5 yrs or so.  No issues with it.  Picture below of it.
Mine is also engraved NP3 by the gas port holes.  Yeah I know it's filthy.  Still runs fine.  Quick wipe with towel and crud comes right off.

However, I pretty much just run a Surefire carrier these days.

https://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Triarc_bcg.png
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Nice review. This site will bankrupt me someday.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm not seeing separate carriers for sale at all.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top