Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/18/2005 6:24:21 AM EDT
I recently got the datasheet for the latest prototype magnified model and I've gotten the okay to share it with you guys.

Quoted from EOTech.

"The magnifier is scheduled for a first, full production run in the end of December/early January. The latest prototype is currently out being shot by various agencies and military organizations. I have attached a copy of the latest prototype datasheet. Keep in mind this is a prototype, and will probably still undergo some changes (although few). A couple of things that are not made clear on this sheet: the button housing never has to be removed, though it attaches to the rail just like the sight (the quick release disconnects the magnifier from the button housing and allows you to go to CQB engagements), and the field of view through the magnifier is actually square. Yes, the field of view is not round in the magnifier (and it is relatively large for a magnified optic), but vertical and horizontal, maintaining the large FOV you get with the square sight window. It’s pretty ingenious.

The CR123 model is called the 553. There are some minor changes in addition to the batteries, but overall, the function and operation of the sight are the same. That’s about all I can say on that one. I am not aware of when that will be released. "

Some additional info I found out.
1. Pricing will between $600-800 for the magnifier and sight.
2. New magnifier compatible sights will be prduced.
3. The 553 will be magnifier compatible.
4. Currently only the 553 will be available in the SOCOM Flat Earth color.
5. The magnified model will have a built in riser and it should cowitness the BUIS in the lower 1/3 of sight window.

Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:36:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow.  Nice.

I still don't get it, though.  But I'm slow, like that.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:56:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:57:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Mongo,

It's suppose to compete with the ACOG for the mid-range magnification while giving you ability to have true 1x for CQB.  To me it's the best of both worlds.  

I understand where you're coming from and I agree that the magnified EOTech won't be for everybody.  

Basically, the magnifier is about adding extra functionality and improving hit ratios at longer ranges without sacrificing CQB capability.

Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Spiffy,

I have become a big fan of EOTech after dealing with their customer service (this is a company that genuinly wants your business).

Pricing looks right to stand up in competition with the ACOG. The batteries will be the weakest link for the EOTech but compensating with a price tag of several hundred dollers less will allow the owner to buy a whole lot of lithium ion batteries. And, of course, the ability to pull off the magnifier for CQB gives the EOTech the edge in versitility.

I look forward to seeing further development on this. Competition is always good for the consumer.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Mongo,

It's suppose to compete with the ACOG for the mid-range magnification while giving you ability to have true 1x for CQB.  To me it's the best of both worlds.  

I understand where you're coming from and I agree that the magnified EOTech won't be for everybody.  

Basically, the magnifier is about adding extra functionality and improving hit ratios at longer ranges without sacrificing CQB capability.

Hopefully I can try somebody else's to see if it will change my mind, but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:01:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice, I suppose, but I'd still prefer a magnifier that worked with my current 552.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mongo,

Hopefully I can try somebody else's to see if it will change my mind, but I doubt it.

I'm with you.  I don't see the point but I'm sure some will like it.  I have my CQT if I need
to mount a magnified optic.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Nice, I suppose, but I'd still prefer a magnifier that worked with my current 552.  

me too
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:13:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

me too

I talke to EOTech about making upgrade kits to retrofit the older models and I as told it was a no go because the new hood for the magnifier was designed to fit the taller EOTechs with the riser and there are no plans to make shorter ones.

However, EOTech did say that the next major revision of the standalone sights will make all of them compatible with the magnifier.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the heads up Yojimbo.  This look sweet!  I was all set to buy the 552, but I think I'll wait for this instead.

I really like the fact that it takes 123 batteries, same as the surefires.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#11]
So the dots are calibrated ONLY for 5.56 or something?? What if I wanted to use it on another rifle system and caliber?
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for the heads up Yojimbo.  This look sweet!  I was all set to buy the 552, but I think I'll wait for this instead.

Just a note but the magnified model will be offered for AA batteries first.  The 553, which is the CR123 model, is still being developed.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a note but the magnified model will be offered for AA batteries first.  The 553, which is the CR123 model, is still being developed.

Thanks!  Any sense on when the 553 will be coming on line?  Some time early next year?
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So the dots are calibrated ONLY for 5.56 or something?? What if I wanted to use it on another rifle system and caliber?

At this time it looks like the BDC is being calibrated for M855 and I'm not sure what barrel length it's setup for.  

Next time I talk to someone at EOTech I'll ask them about the details on the BDC and if there's any plans to make specific reticles for for different calibers and ammo.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Thanks!  Any sense on when the 553 will be coming on line?  Some time early next year?

Sorry, EOTech wouldn't give any production dates  for the 553.

Don't worry I'll keep asking and sooner or later someone will fess up...
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So are you talking a 552 Rev G (existing single dot reticule), and also the new 553 with the BDC reticule, with the 552 Rev G coming in first?
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The Aimpoint magnifier works but by the time you end up buying the mag and mounts, it gets pretty pricey.  I', wondering if it would be more cost effective to sell your current model on the EE and buy a new mag-compatible model + magnifier.  If the $600-800 price quote is real, that may be the better option, depending upon how much you think you could get for your current model.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

So are you talking a 552 Rev G (existing single dot reticule), and also the new 553 with the BDC reticule, with the 552 Rev G coming in first?

I'm not sure what revision letter the magnified model will be designated but after talking to EOTech I am under the impression that the AA magnified model will have the BDC.  I'm also assuming all the newer magnifier compatible models including the 553 will have the BDC as well.

To me it sounded like the the magnified models would not be available without the BDC but I'll ask about it next time I talk to them.

So yes, the 552 HMS will be in production first and then the 553 will eventually be produced but no one is saying when.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that EOTech said that they were also going to be making rings to mount a NV device to the magnifier mount.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure what revision letter the magnified model will be designated but after talking to EOTech I am under the impression that the AA magnified model will have the BDC.  I'm also assuming all the newer magnifier compatible models including the 553 will have the BDC as well.

I did not get the impression that the magnified model would be available without the BDC but I'll ask about it next time I talk to them.

So yes, the 552 HMS will be in production first and then the 553 will eventually be produced but no one is saying when.

So what's the difference, battery life?  Would the 553 be smaller in footprint?  
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did not get the impression that the magnified model would be available without the BDC but I'll ask about it next time I talk to them.

So what's the difference, battery life?  Would the 553 be smaller in footprint?  

The 553 will have a smaller footprint but I don't have any numbers on the battery life.  IMHO, after the Rev. F was released I don't feel that battery life is an issue with the AA EOTech's anymore.

EOTech really didn't want to say much about the 553.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I dont like the fact that the Observation hole will be a circle.Thats one of the reasons I liked Eotech over aimpoint, better FOV.

I think I will just stick w/my 552.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I dont like the fact that the Observation hole will be a circle.Thats one of the reasons I liked Eotech over aimpoint, better FOV.

Read the section where I quoted EOTech again.

"...and the field of view through the magnifier is actually square. Yes, the field of view is not round in the magnifier (and it is relatively large for a magnified optic), but vertical and horizontal, maintaining the large FOV you get with the square sight window. It’s pretty ingenious. "

If you look closely the observation hole is just as large, if not larger than the square sight window.  Either way it's be about the same as your 552.  Also magnification shrinks FOV, it's just the nature of the beast.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I would like to see the interface for the 553 buttons and the mechanical button housing.

Is it a pure mechanical cam driven type interface or is there an elc. connection ?
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#24]
EOTagged
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I talke to EOTech about making upgrade kits to retrofit the older models and I as told it was a no go because the new hood for the magnifier was designed to fit the taller EOTechs with the riser and there are no plans to make shorter ones.

Seems like they could've just made a mount for the magnifier similar to the RRA Dominator or LaRue EOTech riser so the older models would still work...
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seems like they could've just made a mount for the magnifier similar to the RRA Dominator or LaRue EOTech riser so the older models would still work...

+1

This won't stop people from buying the new units though.  It seems like a great design, and at the very least superior to the Aimpoint magnification system, particularly with the QD mechanism design.  JMHO.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I agree, it looks like a great design. I'm just a little pissed that my 552 is now obsolete, but not because they've improved it, just because they didn't feel like making an optional mount for their new magnifier.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Does the Aimpoint magnifier work on a LT Eotech mount with an Eotech??
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#29]
They let Aimpoint go ahead and jump the gun on the Magnifier Idea.  They spent the last few months just improving upon their design and taking in all of the criticism that has come up about the pricing and features/options of the aimpoint and it's magnifier.  

They sure are the smarter of the two companies, that is a fact.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I agree, it looks like a great design. I'm just a little pissed that my 552 is now obsolete, but not because they've improved it, just because they didn't feel like making an optional mount for their new magnifier.

It's not just the mount but the entire protective hood that would also need to be upgraded.  The main issue probably has to do with the cost/benefit ratio of making an upgrade kit for the older sights.  It's probably not worth the time and investment for so little potential profit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#33]
cool, looks like a great scope.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The main issue probably has to do with the cost/benefit ratio of making an upgrade kit for the older sights.  It's probably not worth the time and investment for so little potential profit.

Cost/benefit ratio? Well look at it like this... They could sell a magnifier and mount to those of us with the older models for $300 - $400 (probably more) but the broke guys like myself won't buy an entirely new EOTech just to have the option of the magnifier.

Maybe the aftermarket companies like LaRue will see this an opportunity to make some money. If not, I suppose there's always the Aimpoint...
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The main issue probably has to do with the cost/benefit ratio of making an upgrade kit for the older sights.  It's probably not worth the time and investment for so little potential profit.

Cost/benefit ratio? Well look at it like this... They could sell a magnifier and mount to those of us with the older models for $300 - $400 (probably more) but the broke guys like myself won't buy an entirely new EOTech just to have the option of the magnifier.

Maybe the aftermarket companies like LaRue will see this an opportunity to make some money. If not, I suppose there's always the Aimpoint...

By the time you purchased a LaRue riser, rings, and Aimpoint magnifier you may as well have purchsed the new EOTech magnified system.

Seriously, how many here ran out and got the Aimpoint magnifier for thier EOTech?  Not many I bet and I'm sure there wouldn't be very many folks who would chose to get the upgrade kit vs those who would rather get the entire magnified setup or wait and purchse the next revision that will be magnifier compatible.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind seeing an upgrade kit but I would probably skip it and just get new sight.

BTW, I'm just making a SWAG so I don't know for sure what EOTech's plans are.  All I know is that I was told that there were no current plans to make upgrade kits for the older sights.  

However, I was also told that there were no plans to make a CR123 powered EOTech but as you can see...
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm surprised they didn't develope their own "flip mount" for their version of the magnifier.
The Samson flip mount is what makes the Aimpoint magnifier so cool, whether used on an Eotech or an Aimpoint.  Nothing is faster from 1X to 3X and back, period.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I've fondled  the 3X 553 a couple times since I live right down the Street.

I love Eotech sights and support our hometown Industry player to the fullest,
but mannnn, is that 553 unit HEAVY!
The latest proto is constructed of steel and the weight is comparable to a Gen. I
NVD. It's about as big as one too.

The BDC is a practical addition, but added WAY more clutter
in the addition the 65 MOA Ring. If you have astigmatism, the blooming
effect is multiplyed.

The $800 MSRP is also a bit high.
I am however looking forward to revised versions.

Link Posted: 7/18/2005 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I've fondled  the 3X 553 a couple times since I live right down the Street.

I love Eotech sights and support our hometown Industry player to the fullest,
but mannnn, is that 553 unit HEAVY!
The latest proto is constructed of steel and the weight is comparable to a Gen. I
NVD. It's about as big as one too.

The BDC is a practical addition, but added WAY more clutter
in the addition the 65 MOA Ring. If you have astigmatism, the blooming
effect is multiplyed.

The $800 MSRP is also a bit high.
I am however looking forward to revised versions.

Very interesting.Thanks for your inside knowledge!
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#39]
In addition, The "ARMS throwlever" is just the latch itself, and not used in addition
with the ARMS #17 Tri-Lock mount it was designed for. Instead the latch is mounted on big
steel block of EoTech's design and it is awkward to Quickly attach or detach the
magnifier unit from the sight.

The ARMS latch in conjunction with the Eo Mount  was also
Very stiff and difficult to attach/release.  My thumb was prettly sore after a few attempts.

Also note that the front housing on the 553 changes the view from the classic Eo panoramic view,
to circular when the magnifier is removed. That is purely subjective, though.

edited for attrocious grammar.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I will contact EOTech about this and hopefully get it resolved.

C4

Maybe you can also convince them to use LaRue...
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In addition, The "ARMS throwlever" is just the latch itself, and not used in addition
with the ARMS Tri-Lock mount it was designed for. Instead the latch is mounted on big
steel block of EoTech's design and it is awkward to Quickly attach or detach the
magnifier unit from the sight.

The ARMS latch in conjunction with the Eo Mount  was also
Very stiff and difficult to to attach release my thumb was prettly sore after a few attempts.

Also note that the front housing on the 553 changes the view from the classic Eo panoramic view,
to circular when the magnifier is removed. That is purely subjective, though.

I am 100% certain that the ARMS throw levers (that are tucked under the EOTech) will be a BITCH to open (especially with gloves on). I also noticed that ARMS #17 mount for the magnifier has the throw lever on the right hand side (instead of the left). That is the wrong place for it as you want to remove anything with your left hand (never take your finger off the trigger). I will contact EOTech about this and hopefully get it resolved.

C4

Oops! forgot to mention that. You are on point with your assesment.
I've never had so much trouble removing and attaching an ARMS lever,
in such a frikked up placement/position. and this is just the removing the
magnifier from it's dedicated mount.

The WEIGHT would be another big thing, although the finished versions will
most likely(hopefully) be machined out of aluminum.

Looking forward to seeing the LT Mounting solution.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Me want teh noo EOThingy.

Nice set up. I'll have my eye on this topic for sure.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#45]
1. Tag

2. Glad to read they will still be offering a AA model (I'm not that interested in a CR123 version but I can see the appeal)

3. I must be the only guy who likes to co-witness in the middle of the reticle?

4. The quick release throw lever is a disappointment. I would have liked to seen one main lever that would remove the Eotech and magnifier together as one unit and then a smaller throw lever that would release just the magnifier.

5. I have to say you could have count me in on the list of people who just didn't get the idea of having a magnifier on an Eotech but now looking at it, with the BDC and quick switch from magnified to CQB, it seems to me like it might be a good optics choice for an Reece\Recon type build?

I doubt they could do it (and still keep these in line price wise) but it would be the shit if it had a precision type reticle with built in BDC when the magnifier was installed but went back to the normal reticle that we are use to when the magnifier is removed. Hey, a guy can dream can't he?
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read the section where I quoted EOTech again.

"...and the field of view through the magnifier is actually square. Yes, the field of view is not round in the magnifier (and it is relatively large for a magnified optic), but vertical and horizontal, maintaining the large FOV you get with the square sight window. It’s pretty ingenious. "

If you look closely the observation hole is just as large, if not larger than the square sight window.  Either way it's be about the same as your 552.  Also magnification shrinks FOV, it's just the nature of the beast.

I don't like the look of the circular piece that is fastened onto the rear of the EOTech you posted a pic of.

I like the square view on 1X. I could care less about 3X because you are basically using a conventional scope at that point and the shape wouldn't bother me then.

What I'd like to know is if all "Rev G" (I'd assume this will be the next revision) will have this darn round thing attatched to the rear. It looks like the round magnifier adapter will limit the FOV when the magnifier is OFF the rifle and you are running on 1X.

If so, I think I'll just have to shop for another Rev. F instead of waiting for the next revision.

WIZZO

Besides, the small little dot in the center of the circle of the EOThingy now is more than enough to engage man-sized targets out to 400+ yds, IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Tag...
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I doubt they could do it (and still keep these in line price wise) but it would be the shit if it had a precision type reticle with built in BDC when the magnifier was installed but went back to the normal reticle that we are use to when the magnifier is removed. Hey, a guy can dream can't he?

That was the first thing that came to mind when I viewed through the 553 reticle
for the first time.

My biggest gripe, is that With the magnifier removed, the four 1 MOA Dots tend to bloom/obscure sight picture below the
center dot while indoors at close ranges.

Walking from a brightly lit room suddenly into a room with
little or no light(no weapon light mounted in the Eotech office mind you) and the 1 MOA dots bloom so you can't see shit below the
center dot.

Sure most Electronic dot sights(Aimpoints, EOs,etc) tend to bloom to some degree, but the 553 has 4 bright dots stacked top to bottom to aggravate the issue.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was the first thing that came to mind when I viewed through the 553 reticle
for the first time.

My biggest gripe, is that With the magnifier removed, the four 1 MOA Dots tend to bloom/obscure sight picture below the
center dot while indoors at close ranges.

Walking from a brightly lit room suddenly into a room with
little or no light(no weapon light mounted in the Eotech office mind you) and the 1 MOA dots bloom so you can't see shit below the
center dot.

Sure most Electronic dot sights(Aimpoints, EOs,etc) tend to bloom to some degree, but the 553 has 4 bright dots stacked top to bottom to aggravate the issue.

I wondered about this the first time I saw a pic of the prototype reticule months ago.  I know the answer is to "increase it's utility", but why they insist on dorking with a sight that does something remarkably well, and try to make it do something different (and in the meantime dork over it's original strengths) is beyond me.  

Eotech, I've got an idea -- how about sticking with a simple aimpoint that's good out to 300 or so with an IBZ zero.  Learn to holdover however many dots to reach out farther, if need be.  Use the mag for distance, for target ID/discrimination, for whatever the mag is good for, but don't dork with the reticule.

Maybe this thing will be the cat's ass, but as of now I'm not terribly impressed.  The base model with an Aimpoint mag seems a better overall system than what they've come up with here.  Of course, always reserving the right to change my mind down the road.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top