Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/22/2009 7:33:51 PM EDT
Here it is with pics !  Ta da

Un-cut tape!  Well I had to do it.

Pretty late number.

Ah yes, those pins I made such a big deal over!  Damm, I got .1535 pins.  Show'em if you got'em (meant for a few select) Back at ya!

An "S" on the selector.  New mark to me, but hey what do I know?

Look, rust on my bolt!

Auto cutout on a 6940 upper.  Colt must have plans!

"C" stamping from hell.  Must have used a forging press for this stamp.  You know the forging company now!

No # "4" stamped on the barrel extension here.  Must not be an M4 carbine.  And would you look at the rust on that dust cover door.

And yes the barrel nut.  Has access just like the Vltor for the use of any barrel.  Limitations, what limitations?

A very interesting cutout on the rear lug?

Barrel date of 01/09.

A shimmed FSB from Colt.

Another angle with rust all over it.  Who would buy these rusty guns?

All rise!

Check the forging mark?

Cross angle on the rail profile.

Another rusty part.

A different lube than I'm used to seeing on a Colt rifle.  Looks like the break-in grease on a Glock.  Its in the inside and openings only, must have been used on the A2 FH installation tool.

Forgot this one!  The lower HG push button (the larger silver spot on the outside of the HG in slot B18) makes this key retract.  Then you can slide the HG forward for removal.  There is absolutely no play whatsoever on the HG to rail match up.  And its rock solid.

Ok, the rollpinned dust cover question.  Yes the holes go through, at least the rear one pictured below.  The front one I'm sure is under the barrel extension.  So you say you have to remove the barrel to replace the cover?  Not so, remove the rear rollpin pin and lower the hinge pin, door is then off.  Subject solved!

I weighed both the 6920 and the 6940 as pictured below.  

The 6920 all stock with carry handle = 6lbs 12oz.  The 6920 carry handle removed and replaced with ARMS 40L = 6lbs 5oz.
The 6940 with BUIS = 6lbs 10oz.
So the 6940 as a stock rifle is lighter than a stock 6920.  Compared to the 6920 w/ARMS 40L the integrated rail adds 5oz.  

Wow, add any rail to a 6920 and tell me what you get?  LT 7.0 = 12oz / DD Omega 7.0 = 8oz.

So that about sums it up.

This is the finest Colt carbine package "I" have seen (yes of course thats not select fire, yada, yada, yada).  I'll be waiting to clean the tomatos off my monitor for voicing my opinion.

Yes they could have done something with the barrel, extended the rail over a lp gas block and used a rail front sight (to add even more weight), etc.  But for whats out now, its super nice.  The extractor has the black insert, and a bronze colored extractor spring.  The rail covers in the package are made by Falcon Industries / Ergo and have to be cut down to fit (they are 3 too long on the sides).

Enjoy your new quest!

Edit for comments.

Projektile, I heard about your gunshow 6920 dilema.  The balance is awesome.  Judging by hand it doesnt feel any heavier than a 6920.  I'll weigh it later.  Shoot it?  I'm thinking, not sure.  Im just gonna enjoy looking at those pins for a while.  Price I cant disclose (got it from a dealer buddy, dont wanna create waves for him at the shop).
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Gotta say mate, thats one beaut of a rifle youve got yerself.  Also, mucho pics=win  Hows the balance on it?  How much did you pay? (if you don't mind me asking?)  I'm personally looking to get a 6920 at the next show.  No offense, but I prefer the modular-ness of the 6920(being able to add what rail/sights you prefer)

Range report forth-coming???
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Very good, detailed pics.  Allows us to examine it so closely.  I'm intrigued by the upper................interesting.  All looks damn good.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Too bad the rail has no cutouts for KAC covers.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Too bad the rail has no cutouts for KAC covers.

Was just about to say that.  I suppose you could fix that with a needle file.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm actually pretty intrigued.  Before, I was kinda like "meh" over the 6940.  But, now having seen those pics, I'm impressed with it.  Colt seems to have really done their homework on this thing.  Someone post that picture of the albino gorilla for me.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Great pics, thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:33:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Great very detailed review, thanks.

This Colt model is great for all the Colt fans out there plus the latest changes makes the milspec features chart all checked for the Colt brand.

I hear a lot of Colt haters in shock, fainting and dropping on the floor.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#8]
a new product from colt.

wow.

a new product from colt actually in a consumers' hands..

double wow.

I need to go back and eat some comments I made about colt.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#9]
sabre223 ~ Nice post, great pics!  I can't wait until mine comes in, should be really soon.  Small pins!  
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice!

It looks like one of the legs (the left one) of the hammer spring is under the trigger pin.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice pics! Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Man, how could you blow so much money on that piece of shit. I mean, that bolt looks like it's had a couple thousand rounds through it and there is rust on it!

Should have bought a DPMS.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#13]
O.K., I've got $50 that I'll give you for it, if that will help bail you out. Sure get the feeling from reading this thread that I've missed something.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Great job on the pics. It looks like you covered everything, including those gosh darn pins!

Congrats on the gun and I hope there are no hard feelings over some of the shit I flung at ya!
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for taking your time out of your life and taking pics to show us. Awesome weapons you have there. It would make the hoes panties wet. lol
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Just a friendly suggestion...

If you're going to bother to blank out the S/N, then you shouldn't post the BARCODE.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I would say you are boned if the dust cover spring ever breaks. Looks like the roll pins go into a blind hole. How do you drive them out to remove the cover assembly? On LMTs MRP you can get the roll pins knocked out. Very nice MRP by Colt. Sorry but Lewis Machine & Tool's MRP CQB is far superior to Colt's offering.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would say you are boned if the dust cover spring ever breaks. Looks like the roll pins go into a blind hole. How do you drive them out to remove the cover assembly? On LMTs MRP you can get the roll pins knocked out. Very nice MRP by Colt. Sorry but Lewis Machine & Tool's MRP CQB is far superior to Colt's offering.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would say you are boned if the dust cover spring ever breaks. Looks like the roll pins go into a blind hole. How do you drive them out to remove the cover assembly?

I dont know the answer to this but everything that has been mounted can be removed somehow, dont you think?

Quoted:Sorry but Lewis Machine & Tool's MRP CQB is far superior to Colt's offering.

could you elaborate please? I'll never handle both the 6940 and the MRP but I'd like to understand anyway...

btw, talking about the MRP...the first thing that comes to mind are those proprietary barrels...

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would say you are boned if the dust cover spring ever breaks. Looks like the roll pins go into a blind hole. How do you drive them out to remove the cover assembly?

I dont know the answer to this but everything that has been mounted can be removed somehow, dont you think?

Quoted:Sorry but Lewis Machine & Tool's MRP CQB is far superior to Colt's offering.

could you elaborate please? I'll never handle both the 6940 and the MRP but I'd like to understand anyway...

btw, talking about the MRP...the first thing that comes to mind are those proprietary barrels...

And the Dago comes in with the logic to own the troll. Bravo man!

P.S. My last name ends with an "i."
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Your rollpin question is answered and pictured above.

A wild idea I thought of inspecting this upper.  Remove the Colt barrel.  Install any 12-14.5" barrel with a lp gas block, and add any rail mounted front sight.  Wow, does away with the flip sight gas block issue.  Heck I'll take my 6921 barrel off and put it on this 6940 (pinned SDI extended of course).  Sort of making my own 6941.  oooooh, ahhhhh.

Understand, this rifle isnt stopping me from owning an LMT MRP gas piston rifle.  Heck maybe 2 for that matter?
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Sounds like your very happy about your buy. Great buy bud.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your rollpin question is answered and pictured above.

A wild idea I thought of inspecting this upper.  Remove the Colt barrel.  Install any 12-14.5" barrel with a lp gas block, and add any rail mounted front sight.  Wow, does away with the flip sight gas block issue.  Heck I'll take my 6921 barrel off and put it on this 6940 (pinned SDI extended of course).  Sort of making my own 6941.  oooooh, ahhhhh.

Understand, this rifle isnt stopping me from owning an LMT MRP gas piston rifle.  Heck maybe 2 for that matter?

I love how he went through the picutres and tried to find ANYTHING that he could complain about and all he came up with was "roll pins go into a blind hole".

LOL!
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#25]
nice gun sabre. I am glad you can sleep at night now
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice pics and carbeen
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice writeup !
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:03:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Gotta admit, I am no Colt fan but this looks like a very nice piece of kit. Milspec lower pins and parts, Colt quality control, and a very nice integral rail. I still think price is astronomical but compared to other Colts it is not out of line. I'll stick to building my own piece by piece but for a complete rifle this thing is definitely in rarefied air. Thanks for the write up and the excellent pics. Enjoy you shiny new rifle.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:44:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Vey nice - I love gun pics.  Thanks.  Have been thinking about a Colt.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#30]
The front sight gas block obviously has a spring in it, and 4 ball bearings.

The rollstamped marks are exactly like the current 6920.

The accessory pack has 2 20rd mags, sling, cleaning rods, bore brush, chamber brush, QD sling swivel, and 3 rail covers.

Comparison with the 6920.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I think a good comparison would be a 6940 against a 6920 with DD Omega 7.0 or similar free float rails without lights, VFG or rail covers and a only a BUIS mounted on the flat top.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think a good comparison would be a 6940 against a 6920 with DD Omega 7.0 or similar free float rails without lights, VFG or rail covers and a only a BUIS mounted on the flat top.

Well since I dont own a DD Omega, I did go to the website and look up the weight to compare.  I do beleive the DD Omega is the lightest of all that is true free float mounting.  The weights are noted in my original pics on page 1 (last pic).  The 6940 would still be lighter, and its one piece.  Theres nothing to move, shift, or loosen.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice thorough write-up with great pics, Sabre.

Fine addition by Colt

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Very Nice!....This does it. Another Pony is on the "gots to have" list.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Nice.   Striking resemblance to my VIS, but hey, they're doing the same thing, so hard to avoid that.   I wouldn't mind owning one of those.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Nice.   Striking resemblance to my VIS, but hey, they're doing the same thing, so hard to avoid that.   I wouldn't mind owning one of those.

School me on the VIS?  Isnt it actually 2 pieces put together?  I thought the upper receiver and the HG where 2 pieces that were sort of welded or brazed together?

Not machined from one block.

I may be wrong about that.  I thought that was what I read here.  I wouldnt mind using a VIS for a billet lower build.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Calling any 6940 owners?
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Calling any 6940 owners?

I don't think there is many of us out there right now.....
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Great job and thanks for the work.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Calling any 6940 owners?

I don't think there is many of us out there right now.....

No, but I still hate every one of you.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#42]
I just put mine on order today. It may be a while before I can post any pics.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#43]
The manual and a few other items came today !

Small poster.  About 1.5 x 2 ft

Link Posted: 3/31/2009 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Like that do ya ? !

I called Colt to get a manual, that did not come in the box.  The poster was just a bonus.

I was informed they were at the shot show (a shot show special), and they were only made for the shot show.

Seems the picture in the Fidelis Firearms GD auctions was the poster (must have picked one up) and was not included?  Along with the letter posted in the auction?  Pics 9, 10, & 11.

I thought it was reading material (the letter) with the manual, and only an 8.5 x 11" schematic.

WRONG!
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Goddammit, I was at the SHOT Show, too.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice rifle. Great info and pics. Thanks a lot.
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 4:13:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Tres cool.  I gotta admit, I don;t feel the need to run out an replace my 6920, but if'n I was in the market for a new gun, that'd be at the top of my list (assuming the insane prices come down).
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Sabre223 you are Da BOMB.  That is an incredible carbine
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks Kdet, nice 1st post !  JA

The new ambi selector

Latest configuration

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top