Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2005 12:58:52 PM EDT
My youngest boy is off to the ashtray (again) in 2006.  He did the Spring 2003 "Hello Saddam" tour with the 82nd.  This time he is going over with a more specialized unit.  He will be working as a "utility infielder".  Depending on the day it could be a walk in the city, "man in the street" interviews, a walk in the country, driving from here to there or the ever popular "rapid reaction" fast run to an inpromtu party.  He has to use an issued M-4, which I define as a "lower".  I remember my days as a grunt when I carried an M-16 with the three pronged flash hider.  I wanted better for him.

Soooooo, I got on this board, read posts and asked questions.  I learned a lot, and quite a few folks bent over backward to bring me up to speed.  I especially appreciate the industry partners who patiently answered my questions, and sold me the parts I needed quickly, and for very fair prices.

For Christmas my boy got a 16" mid-length gas system recce upper set up with Vortex, LT 9.0", LT Rear BUIS, Troy Front BUIS, LT EOTech mount, CMT Upper and best quality Bolt/Carrier.  I did the KG coating myself.  Used the Milspec Grey/Green Parkerizing color overcooked slightly to make the barrel and receiver look like worn military issue parts.  He says they are a perfect match!

I'm about 2/3 done with an SPR upper for him to use for overwatch/point defense scenarios.

He is going to do the paperwork for a suppressor that can be moved back and forth between the Recce and SPR.  Either a Troy (or whatever they call themselves today) or a Surefire.

In February I will start on a shortie for Convoy and Close work.

Is this gear expensive?  Not really.  Instead of buying a new pickup when the old one died, I just replaced the engine and now use the equivalent in loan payments for gear for my boy.

I told him to just spend his money on ammunition for practice.

Anyway, thank you all, and may all your sons, daughters, wives and husbands come back home safe and sound after they do their duty for this country.

lawndart
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top