Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2004 9:32:08 AM EDT
Do ya think Trijicon will ever upgrade these tubes to something that won't crack?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Just how common is this problem?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine's cracked.  I think it's fairly common.  It's just a matter of whether or not it will leak at some point.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Shortly after I received my TA50-6 the fiber optic tube cracked and it started leaking.

The unit was sent back to Trijicon for repair and they replaced the fiber unit & tube.
It has started to crack, again.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Shortly after I received my TA50-6 the fiber optic tube cracked and it started leaking.

The unit was sent back to Trijicon for repair and they replaced the fiber unit & tube.
It has started to crack, again.

Jim

Exactly.  Can it not be made of something that won't crack?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#5]
maybe lexan?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Your fiber optic tube is cracking or it is scratched? There is a big difference there.

Mine has lots of scratches where it curves up above the protective aluminium wings - between being in a case or a rifle rack, it tends to pick up scratches there. However they are not cracks and they don't effect function (plus they occur on just about every BAC ACOG I've seen that wasn't brand new).

Now cracks, where the gel is leaking through the tube - that is something that does occur but I've only seen the reports here by Kisara and others on it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Your fiber optic tube is cracking or it is scratched? There is a big difference there.

Mine has lots of scratches where it curves up above the protective aluminium wings - between being in a case or a rifle rack, it tends to pick up scratches there. However they are not cracks and they don't effect function (plus they occur on just about every BAC ACOG I've seen that wasn't brand new).

Now cracks, where the gel is leaking through the tube - that is something that does occur but I've only seen the reports here by Kisara and others on it.

What you're describing is cracking (or more accurately fracturing) not scratches and is very common on these scopes.  I assume it's from stress on the plastic where it curves.  It's less common that they leak.  I'm just wondering why they can't make the tube out of something that doesn't crack or fracture.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one that is cracked and leaks all the time.  It is full of bubbles where the fluid has leaked out.  BUT it still works fine so what the hell.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#9]
As I understand it the material that would form NO cracks would also be much less transparent to light, thus cutting down on the fiber optic tube's ability to gather photons for the reticle.  (If I could quote my source on this I would; damn old-timers...).  It's your typical engineering vicious circle - assuming I'm right.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
As I understand it the material that would form NO cracks would also be much less transparent to light, thus cutting down on the fiber optic tube's ability to gather photons for the reticle.  (If I could quote my source on this I would; damn old-timers...).  It's your typical engineering vicious circle - assuming I'm right.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:04:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

saw this on the trijicon site, it said it was for some sort of pest repellant though. the rest is correct, about less light being gathered

hopefully my new found joy doesnt start cracking. but then again thats what warranty is for
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top