Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2003 4:04:24 PM EDT
I have been seeing this brand of lights in the Delta catalogs now for some time. Yet I never hear anyone mention them as it seems a couple of brands get all the attention. So I am curious, are these lights any good at all?

They look like they at least have some good features. They advertise 30,000 candlepower (105.5 lumens). They also have remote pressure switches and can be bought with mounts for the AR-15 or for shotguns/rifles. But at $124.95 including the mount, these just seem rather inexpensive compared to Surefire. So the question is, are these lights good or junk?

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I was tempted for a long time to invest in a TACMIII. When I finally got to try one at the SHOT Shows I was glad I didn't. I'm a SureFire fan (as I think is now obvious). If SureFire was not around, the first flashlight I would buy is the Pelican M6 (aka PM6). I would also consider the ASP TacLite (there are several models, I think the "Triad" is the one I'd want). I did try out an ASP TacLite for a while and found the switch hurt my hand to use.

I believe that the TACMIII was reworked to try to iron out some switch issues. Even so, I'd only trust a SureFire WeaponLight as a WeaponLight.

Al
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a TACMIII weapons mounted for a while. It never gave me any problems. I used it until I upgraded to the better quality Surefire light.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#3]
All my normal gear is Surefire.  Recently I put together my first AR-15 build from spare parts and made it themed in lightweight and inexpensive.  I had a couple of TACM-III setups I got cheap as a C3 dealer at a gunshow.  Didn't know anything about them, forgot about them, but resurrected them when looking for spare parts.  It was some years ago so I thought they had gone out of business and I was lucky to have spare lamps.  They are still here, and I was pleased.  They are bright, and very lightweight as they are machined Delrin.  I am using the standard cap (on-off-momentary).  I have not used the pressure switch yet.  The rail mount looks bulky, and the ring knob looks very snaggish, plus retail is about $74 for just the mount! (from TACM3).  The handguard mount, simple and effective, is somewhat dated looking, held on by one machine screw, and far more expensive than I thought it should be ($50), but it works.  The system itself was designed for weapons so it should be recoil worthy (I hope).  You seem to have found better prices.

Since I already had them, it worked out great.  However, one could just buy a nitrolon ($28)with shock isolated head ($20) if you want a surefire version, thought the pressure switch is expensive ($72) though you can get a cheaper non-SF switch ($25), then there is a mount ($20).  Here is my TACM-III, with the rest of the cheap lightweight plastic gear (First Samco Fobus Handguard and FS2 Light mount).

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=17021[/img]

I don't know if I'll ever use the pressure pad switch.  In this configuration, I just rock my knuckle forward for momentary on. It's not the switch they offer now, it's a flat totally deltrin knob without the button in the middle.  I haven't got to shoot with it much yet.  Hope the old tailcap and pressure pad switch holds up...
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top