Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2003 8:45:43 PM EDT
Damnit if I didn't goto the range today without my gun keys!  Anyhow, I finally got around to using my new TA44R-2 (mounted to carry handle on RRA) for the first time today.  

First try was @ 50yds, but couldn't hit paper.  Got it sighted in nicely @ 25yds and moved back to 50yds.  Grouped high and outside the largest ring.  Didn't move back to 25yds after re-zeroing @ 50yds.  

WHY the different POI?  Shouldn't 25yds and 50yds be nearly the same?  Is it my carry handle mount?!  If so, I think I'll sight it @ 50yd (likely my frequent target distance) and compensate at 25yds and 75-100yds.  

Overall, I really enjoyed my new optic over the iron sights.  However, having the iron sights still acccessible was a nice touch.  Couldn't see torn paper @ 50yds with my 1.5X, but the little red triangle provided a clear picture of where my rounds were headed.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:57:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Imagine your line of sight as a horizontal line.  The bullet leaves the barrel at a point 2.5" below the line of sight when using iron sights, probably 3" to 3.5" using the carry handle setup you describe.  Obviously, for the bullet to impact the line of sight at 25 yds, it has to be angled in an upwards direction.  It keeps rising for the 50yd impact point as well, and thus hits higher.

Here is a link to an online ballistic program that will show you the trajectory.

[url]http://www.norma.cc/htm_files/javapagee.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:34:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Southern_Raider: Wow!  That link was really cool.  Had difficulty finding a .223 / 5.56 ... used a 5.7 50ish gr round that might just have been the right one anyhow.  Interesting site to play around with!  Thanks
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top