Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/5/2003 7:35:58 AM EDT
At last sometype of ACOG showed up and I got to try a short eyerelief ACOG on a AR15 flat top.  Liked the optics and even though was a TA01NSN, it almost followed me home.

With the A1 stock on my M16A1, the spacing on the short eyerelief is going to be close to fit in a BUIS (be it an ARMs #40 or KAC 300), thus if one is goes with out a BUIS there is also an option to have the TA01NSN and Aimpoint both fit on the flat top ...

Thus the question - is there any reason to have a both the TA01NSN and Aimpoint over the TA31x?

TA31x
Simplier system (only one item)- KISS
Do not have to turn on the ACOG
Lighter and smaller
Brigher image (at least less lens to clean)
Can work with night vission (which I don't have)
Can fit in BUIS
Cost - possible lower, however, already have Aimpoint

TA01NSN & Aimpoint
Already have Aimpoint & can get TA01NSN
Has BUIS for very close range (ones on top)
Can remove the ACOG to use the Aimpoint
Manual adjustments in dot brightness (with out using tape)
Cross hair finer aiming point under 200 yards

Link Posted: 10/5/2003 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Go with the TA31!  

The TA01NSN and Aimpoint combo is just trying to do the the same thing a TA31 does in a heavier, bulkier and less efficient configuration.  There's really no way to justify this setup. Even if you have the TA01NSN the Dr. Optic would be a better combo with it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#2]
While you are probably correct ... have not had any luck finding a TA31 to take a look at over the last couple years (everyone only has Relex & TA01s), then again I only check six states [;)]

Have gotten to try a TA11 and TA01, thus maybe have enoung data points to decide (then again end of the year and the two sources I checked with are out of TA31 anything ...).

Regards
John
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#3]
As YoJimbo said, the best thing to try if you really like the TA01 NSN is the setup with the Docter Optik sight on top.  Here is an example:

[img]http://www.specwargear.com/images/saleboard-docter%20mount%202.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
One I liked (but not considering) is the Doc Optics, TA01NSN and the Aimpoint ... just a little overkill for optics.

Regards
John
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I went with the TA31.  Having had range time with the NSN, its reticle is entirely to busy for me for anything under 100yds.  Simple is better.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm sure you have read [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=170004&w=myTopicPop]this[/url] where, in beteween the name calling there is some reasonable discussion on this subject (and a damn fien martini [;)].  There are some other posts on the subject as well.

Other than some redundancy should one scope crap out, I see no advantage in the system over a TA31.  If you already had a TA01 the additional expense or an Aimpint is not that much.  But if you have to spend $700 on an NSN you might as well spend $800 on a TA31.  Sell the Aimpoint to offset the cost.  

The TA31 is an amazing optic, something I realize more and more every trip to the range with it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm sure you have read ...

... But if you have to spend $700 on an NSN you might as well spend $800 on a TA31.
View Quote

Thanks for the link, missed the thread in the middle, as did not go backwards the first time from the broken DPMS wrench and had missed the name calling and technical discussions.

In the past I was concerned about the eye relief on the TA31 (had only seen TA11 before), however, after getting to try the TA01 NSN on a rifle decided liked the TA31 eyerelief fine w/o BUIS with a A1/A2 stock and possible ok with a BUIS (using on Colt M16A1 so changing receivers / stocks all the time is not an option).

Since has been an up hill battle finding anyone with in a days drive who carried the TA31 (if someone had a $800 TA31 on a table, would have purchased it a year ago)

Dropped an e-mail to several (not all) of the suppliers that I had asked in the past and came up with a big zero on in stock TA31s, and a price of $1K+ when / if they were back in stock ... and then primarly the TA31f.

One of these days will come across an under $1K TA31, which I first had though would be the perfect sight for the Shrike and looks like still have time ... [;)]
[blue]
Appreciate everyone's comments on line and off.
[/blue][b]
Thanks[/b]
John
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top