Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2004 10:07:59 AM EDT
Hi guys, I'm a little confused on the differences between these two models. I've used the Aimpoint and know it is 0x magnification and basically just a red dot sight. Is the TA31F more like a 3x magnification version or something? What Acog does the military use? I'm in the national guard and we have aimpoints but if the ACOG is the new superior thing to the aimpoint then I guess I'd want to purchase one of those. Sorry for being uninformed and I appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#1]
First off, welcome to the board!  

Now regarding the Q about the scopes.  IMHO they are two different animals entirely.  The ACOG being magnified with no power source, and the Aimpoint being powered (though not an issue now).  Each is designed to do a specific job.  They do the designed job really really well, with the secondary job, poorly.  The ACOG with the Red-dot capability has some extreme limitations, while the Aimpoint does not have the magnification.  I got to look at a 2X model last w/e and it blew and sucked at the same time.  Terrible optic.  

FWIW, the military is moving in the direction of the Eotech, and the ACOG for a designated marksman role.  By no means is the Aimpoint out of the loop, but I think there was a supply issue and Eotech is stepping up to meet the need.  

So you HAVE to ask yourself, what do I want the optic to do?  Once you have answered that question you can move forward.

Distance shots-- ACOG all the way
CQB/Med distance-- Aimpoint all the way

Just my .02 and I'm by no means not "operator", just an observer.

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks that actually made alot of sense :).....only other thing I guess I wanted to know is what model acog the military uses? What model would be best for a colt 6920? thanks again
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The TA31 ACOG is generally considered to be the best all-purpose ACOG model at this time because of the BAC ability, which aids in CQB work.  Note that the retail price for this scope is $1,195.00.

The Aimpoint M2 or ML2 will run ~$400 and will be much faster for CQB applications, and is arguably the optic of choice for normal combat engagements (100m or - significantly - less).
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#5]
OK one more question... hopefully your answer doesn't require me to ask another :).....

What's the diff between the TA01NSN and the TA31F....?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
OK one more question... hopefully your answer doesn't require me to ask another :).....

What's the diff between the TA01NSN and the TA31F....?

The TA01 has no BAC and no fiber optics.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#7]
So there is no benefit to the ta01 over the ta31? Why is the Ta01 an NSN military model while the TA31 is not? Is it simply a newer tech version? .....I now understand BAC because I've been reading up on trijicon's site on it but not sure on the fiber optics...what do you mean about those? What are they- what do they do ?

I noticed on trijicon's site it mentions the ta31 has Donut BAC fiber optic / tritium reticle for .223 yet the ta31f lists only: BAC flattop reticle and flattop adapter for .223....what's the diff between these 2...price really isn't an issue.
And thanks again you guys are awesome :)
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I think, and don't quote me on this, but the NSN name is just that, possibly the NSN was the first adopted etc... and the 31F is just another model.  I had one, but due to astigmatism I couldn't hit dick with it so I gave it up to a security spec in an emabassy south of us.  I'm certain he can get more out of it than I can.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#9]
The TA01NSN was the first ACOG adopted by the military under the SOPMOD program. Since that time, the BAC ACOGs have gained in popularity and the Marines purchased 5,000 of the TA31F model. I've also seen TA11s used on M14s; but don't know if that is private purchase or military.

Recommend you read this thread:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=139306
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:57:13 AM EDT
[#10]
IMHO, the TA31 is a superior general purpose magnified optic than the TA01NSN.  I owned a TA01NSN, and it is a great precision sight.  The backup sights on the top are ok for across the room, but not much more than that.  

For a patrol carbine, the TA31 (if you gotta have an ACOG).  The F will give you a bit more precision than the standard donut TA31, whereas the donut of death will give you better CQB.

For an SPR/Reece rifle, the TA01NSN.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top