Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/31/2005 12:13:06 PM EDT
I am new to ACOG sights and need a little advice please. I have a Trijicon TA31F on the way and have a LaRue Tactical mount to place on top of my Bushmaster XM-15 with A-3 upper. This AR-15 has the conventional iron front sight. Will the TA31F sight picture be obstructed by the iron sights when I install it on top of the A3 receiver and LaRue Tactical mount or do I need to buy a new upper receiver without front sights to get a clean picture?? THANKS
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:18:44 PM EDT
The front sight will be a barely visible blurry black line. Some folks mind it, others don't. You will know which way you go on this when you get yours mounted up.

If you don't like the FS in your view, you can just replace it with a folding front sight. Which type of folding front sight you can use will depend on your rifle's configuration.

If you have a rail system, you can get a rail mounted flip-up FS. If you have standard handguards, you can get a barrel mounted flip-up FS or a railed gas block with a rail mounted flip-up FS.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:56:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Matt_B:
The front sight will be a barely visible blurry black line. Some folks mind it, others don't. You will know which way you go on this when you get yours mounted up.

If you don't like the FS in your view, you can just replace it with a folding front sight. Which type of folding front sight you can use will depend on your rifle's configuration.

If you have a rail system, you can get a rail mounted flip-up FS. If you have standard handguards, you can get a barrel mounted flip-up FS or a railed gas block with a rail mounted flip-up FS.

Thank you very much for the reply. You mentioned that if I don't like the FS in my line of sight I can get flip-up front sights. I have the standard handguards and the Front sight seems to be integrated with the upper barrel assembly so no removal of the FS is possible as far as I can tell (hacksaw). So, I suppose my only option is a new rail system type upper or is there a way to remove the front sight that I haven't discovered?? Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:12:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thekubiaks:

I have the standard handguards and the Front sight seems to be integrated with the upper barrel assembly so no removal of the FS is possible as far as I can tell (hacksaw). So, I suppose my only option is a new rail system type upper or is there a way to remove the front sight that I haven't discovered?? Thanks again.

The front sight has 2 pins on the bottom that hold it on. Some are tapered some are not. Just tap them out and remove the front sight. Then put on a flip up one.

You should search around the board an you will see many options. Welome aboard.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:56:14 PM EDT
Thanks alwaystryin, exactly what I was looking for
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:41:49 PM EDT
if you only concentrate on the target then the blur is not that bad and sometimes invisible

but if you go looking for it youll find it and if you let it bother you, it will
Top Top