Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2003 6:59:00 PM EDT
Hello folks.

I know TA01/TA31 is calibrated for M193, 20" fired from carry handle. I also know that TA01NSN is calibrated for M855, 14.5" and flat top. What about TA31F? Is it just like TA01NSN or like TA31 but fired from flat top?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#1]
If I'm not mistaken, the TA31F is calibrated just like the TA01NSN.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#2]
If Im not mistaken, Zardoz is right.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks

Then no TA31F for my 20" GP rifle... [:(]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:04:04 AM EDT
[#4]
As new-arguy has mentioned several times, the difference in calibration is very slight, maybe not noticable. I certainly would not let it prevent me from getting the TA31F if I really wanted one...which I do :-)
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats true inside 300 yards (which Donuts rock) but when I'm trying to use it 300 to 500 yards max, chevron will be better and there will be at least 7~8 inches of POI difference (give and take 2 inches)

Or I should just shut up and save to get another AR15 for SPR with Leupold 3.5x10x40 M3 [:D]

I really don't know how much accuracy is gained by moving up from Donut to Chevron. (I bet Donut is faster inside 300 yards)
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, there is no difference between the donut and chevron past 300 since they both use the same BDC ladder at 400-800.

If you are mounting a TA31F to a flattop 20", you should be OK... you'll be high at longer ranges due to the extra velocity but you should be close enough that you'll be within MOA (no more than 6" at 600)

If you are mounting a TA31F to a 20" carry handle, then yeah, you are hosed. The extra height and velocity will make matching the BDC near impossible.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:27:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, there is no difference between the donut and chevron past 300 since they both use the same BDC ladder at 400-800.
View Quote

You are right. I just remembered that.

I'm going back to Donut then [:D]

I hope I can achieve 2 MoA out to 300 yards using Donut. (I know new-arguy got 1 MoA but then he is the king of ACOG) But I think 2 MoA is definetely possible with mil-spec rifle because the hollow ring inside the Donut is 2 MoA.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#8]
*Change your trigger* and free float your barrel. You will be well within 2moa. Think of it like this. A scope does not improve or degrade the accuracy of your rifle in the slightest bit. Your rifle is inherently capable of just so much accuracy right out of the box. Free floating doesnt increase this max potential accuracy. Neither does a awesome trigger or a precise scope. All these things do is assist you in more easily acheiving the rifles potential.

That being said, the donut is not less accurate than the chevron. Reticles dont improve the accuracy of a rifle. All they do is help you aim. The Chevron will help you get a more consistent point of aim between shots simply because it has a point. The donut just makes it a more difficult on the shooter. You'll have to pay more attention and put more effort into putting the round reticle on the same spot every time.

PS< I got your IM but IM said your box was full.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#9]
IM Box cleared.

Yes I do have a Slim SIR and I plan to add Accuracy speaks trigger if I can. I think that is one of the few triggers that can be field trusted. (KAC is way expansive)

Maybe I will just replace the spring and be done with it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top