BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2003 6:01:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:06:36 AM EDT
[#1]
The 'A' reticule will, theoretically, offer you more precision by using the tip of the triangle as the aiming point.

It comes down to personal preference - I know many on this board prefer the donut New_ARGuy being one of them).

Myself I prefer the triangle.

I don't think you can go terribly wrong with either.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both the Triangle and the Donut, the Triangle is what i use on my gun and I give the Donut to my friend.  If that tell you something.

I agree with Forest on the Triangle, it is fast in close up engagements because of the large and bright triangle reticle and since I sight in the gun at the tip of the triangle, it is very precise at long range.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#3]
It boils down to personal preference.  Out of my 3 acogs (ta01, nsn, 31a) 31A is my favorite.  And as Forest pointed out, the apex on triangle offers precision shots while the large BAC triangle glows bright for up close work in both daylight and total darkness.

Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Wave I am no expert and I am not trying to start a pissing match, however I think there needs to be more clarification as to how you intend to use it.

I have a TA11 with the dog_nut and dig it. IMHO it is the best all around reticle. Having said that if all of my shooting was 200 yrds or less - I would say that the Trianlge may have a slight edge.

Case in point - I have mine zeroed for 100 yrds (not meters) until my 77 grn SMKs get here - but it isn't going to change POA / POI by much -if any.

At 100 yrds I put the top of the outer radius just under (like shooting bullseye with a HG) the POI.

At 200 POI is now -.75" the outter ring of the doh_nut is 1 MOA - I have to guesstimate a hold inside the solid portion of the doh_nut.

At 350 I am now in the bottom solid portion of the doh_nut - however in between (real max effect range of a 5.56) I have had clear vision through the center of the doh_nut (2 MOA).

A trinangle (I assume) would use the tip to zero, from that point on - you will be shooting guesstimates as far as hold.

In reality - they are both 4 MOA reticles, and depending on your ability to "break up" the reticle it will be ok. However a doh_nut gives you 5 distinct aiming points as opposed to 1.

I do think a triangle is faster for up close. I also think there are better optics for up close.

Like I said - not trying to start a pissing match, and it is all personal pref, just thought I would share my thoughts.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
As everyone know, I like to donut. I have some experience with the TA31A. Not a whole lot, but a fair amount. A friend of mine has one on his rifle and I get to check it out pretty often.

I actually tended to think the donut was faster up close. Maybe it was just me, or maybe there was something to it. As far as I could tell, the donut was a bolder and better lit reticle. I believe that because both the donut and the triangle are 4 moa, people tend to think the solid donut is the brighter and bolder reticle. I didnt see it that way.

The triangle is only 4 moa at the bottom. It tapers up rather quickly into a rather fine reticle at the tip. The smaller/finer the reticle, the less it lights up. The less it is lit, the harder it is to see.

The donut is a 4moa dot with a 2moa hollow center. The 1moa circular line that make the donut is consistant and well lit all the way around. I have found that it glows brighter and is therefore easier to see when looking for it quickly.

Have you ever seen XM177's avitar? He has an avitar where all three reticles quickly flash. The chevron, the triangle and the donut. You can see what Im taling about with his avitar. At least I can! [;)] The donut seems bigger, bolder and brighter, all of which make it wasier for me to pick up quicker compared to the triangle.

All of this needs to be viewed in the propper context as well. If Im sitting here saying its harder to see, that doesnt mean I think it is hard to see. It isnt. The Triangle is a excellent reticle with some very worthwhile advantages. In the end, you will be well served with either and I wouldnt spend a whole bunch of time, energy or effort agonizing over which may the the best for you. Serious, when you get to this level of gear, which of these two reticles you choose is almost like picking which color your new car should be. It should be whatever color you want!
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
After much agonizing, I decided on the [b]TA31A[/b][:D][bounce]
View Quote

If you have a TA31 and I dont, then you are WRONG.

JBT Stormtrooper &*^@#^#* [soapbox]
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I also picked the TA31A,
Have never looked back.
Your going to love it.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 5:25:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the TA31A also.
[:)]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=17782[/img]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Just to clarify, I know Im probably one of the most talkative TA31/ACOG fans around here, but I wouldnt say Im 100% happy with mine either. I know the way I talk about them, I must sound like it, but there's always a couple things I'd like better about almost anything. In the end, I realize I dount I, or almost anyone, will be 100% happy with anything, because everything has weaknesses and compromises. Everything. I guess Im just most comfortable and willing to live with the compromises and weaknesses in the TA31?
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wave, you, like Lumpy, totally SUCK!  [:P]

-Troy
View Quote

I'll make sure you're the first to see pics of my A4 when its done Troy [;)]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 6:02:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#16]
OK, I'm not ashamed to admit when I'm the ignorant bastage.  What the hell is an A4 ?
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#17]
A4-gery, as in M16A4.  Full size 20" Gov't weight barrel, on a flat top uppper with KAC M5 RAS.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A4-gery, as in M16A4.  Full size 20" Gov't weight barrel, on a flat top uppper with KAC M5 RAS.
View Quote

thanks
[url]http://mstn.biz/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Not spending is hard, but often the smartest thing to do, and most of the toys will still be there when your situation settles down.  My .02
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Back onto your original question wave.  Having played with both reticles, I have another reason for liking the donut.  The different points on the illuminated portion of the reticles work as part of the ranging system.  While the triangle tip allows more precision than the donut, how one uses the base of a triangle as an aiming point is beyond me.

If Trijicon really wanted to make a reticle that was the shit, they should do a hollow diamond shape.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Let me throw a 'curve' into this discussion.

What about the Chevron?

I'm trying to decide between the Chevron and the Triangle.

Any input?
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I have not personally used either for actually shooting a weapon, but after looking through both I prefer the triangle reticle.

$.02
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Let me throw a 'curve' into this discussion.

What about the Chevron?

I'm trying to decide between the Chevron and the Triangle.

Any input?
View Quote

I put the TA31-F (chevron) on my 11yo son's M4. He can repeatedly ring a 10" dia steel target round after round at 300yds. How's that for input. --RR

[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~the1_roadrunner/images/TayM4%20091003-003.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have both the Triangle and the Donut, the Triangle is what i use on my gun and I give the Donut to my friend.  If that tell you something.
View Quote

Chen: Can I be your friend ? [;)]

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top