Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/23/2005 8:54:26 PM EDT
I'm new to AR's and have an Oly with an A1 upper, shoots great but I hate the tiny aperture for close range. I've seen all around that the solution is swap it with an A2 (ordered already). However there are never any instructions on how to do this. I have read through the posts and haven't found any helpful threads and don't want to screw it up. TIA.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:04:18 AM EDT
The A-2 sight will work if the A-1 is now fairly centered. A-1 has less room using that narrower sight.
Roll pin on the windage wheel, screw threaded on the apperature.
A gunsmith can do it without buggering it up in two minutes. If you scratch it up, sight performance will suffer.
If your sight is now fairly centered, this will achieve what you want.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:42:11 AM EDT
It doesn't seem too difficult. What about the spring/pin, will it go flying?
Starting with the sights being perfectly centered, let's see if I have this correct:
1. use small punch and drift out roll pin
2. remove screw
3. replace sight
4. reinstall screw and roll pin
Is that it?

How would scratching it effect anything other than the finish?

(BTW, I've built 11 AK's and converted 2 Saigas so working on firearms isn't a new concept, AR's are a new platform to work on)
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:13:27 AM EDT
Gunsmith?? If you can't change it out yourself there is something very wrong. Its an easy couple minute job. Lets face it, it isn't like pulling apart an A2 sight down to the ball bearings.

huge_gator- you listed it perfect, its simple.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:37:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By huge_gator:
I'm new to AR's and have an Oly with an A1 upper, shoots great but I hate the tiny aperture for close range. I've seen all around that the solution is swap it with an A2 (ordered already). However there are never any instructions on how to do this. I have read through the posts and haven't found any helpful threads and don't want to screw it up. TIA.

Not a challange to your capability, just thought I would respond to your post. As you state new to these and not wanting to screw it up.

Spring tension [there are two] is very slight. You sound like you have the concept.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:57:17 AM EDT
I do appreciate the help. The devil is always in the details and forum's like this are wonderful sources of information from those who've "been there, done that". I was wanting to make sure there wasn't some small part/spring that would go flying or special order to doing things I didn't know already. I thought it'd be better to ask rather than to lose a tiny part in the carpet that would cost $10 + $10 shipping to replaceThanks for the help guys!
Top Top