Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2012 5:48:30 AM EDT
With all the crap going on and the ongoing parts shortages I'm looking for options. I have a A2 that I built years ago. I'm building two lowers and will be getting a couple uppers. Curently have only the BCG from the A2 build. Is it ok to move a BCG from one upper to another until I can get a couple more? Merry Christmas to all!
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 5:50:16 AM EDT
In general---
Used BCG/New barrel--OK

Used Barrel/New BCG--OK

Used barrel/Used Bolt--check head space
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 6:11:22 AM EDT
Shadowcop is correct. Also have to take into consideration the round count too. As you shoot a M16/AR15 the bolt and barrel extension will wear together. It won't hurt to swap BCG between rifles with low rounds counts.On rifles with high round counts the parts have worn/mated to each other and swapping BCGs can lead to head space problems.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 6:32:50 AM EDT
I would leave the bolt with the barrel it goes with, especially if you cannot guage headspace.

I would feel comfortable purchasing two new bolt assemblies (with two new firing pins, cam pins, and FP retaining pin) for the two incomplete uppers and then swapping the one bolt carrier assembly among the three. That is, until I could gaet the two new carrier assemblies.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 6:36:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By CATARGADELENDAEST:

I would feel comfortable purchasing two new bolt assemblies (with two new firing pins, cam pins, and FP retaining pin)

Yeah, but that's like $300 these days.

~Augee
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 6:42:42 AM EDT
I swap em around, don't matter a bit.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 7:43:59 AM EDT
I've done it for years. I go to South Dakota to shoot over prarie dog towns. I take 1 lower (with spare parts kits)and many uppers, while taking 2 bcg's. I've got untold thousands of rounds on those two bcg's through a half dozen or more uppers and they seem to be fine. I've got a set of chamber gauges.......which anyone that puts AR's together, or swaps parts around, should have. They're cheap........so don't be cheap.........buy a set and use them.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 8:27:31 AM EDT
You can do it, but I'd try not to. Bolts where to match the upper, like piston rings in a cylinder.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 8:32:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By pixamite1:
With all the crap going on and the ongoing parts shortages I'm looking for options. I have a A2 that I built years ago. I'm building two lowers and will be getting a couple uppers. Curently have only the BCG from the A2 build. Is it ok to move a BCG from one upper to another until I can get a couple more? Merry Christmas to all!

I bet you also own 3 vehicles, and only one set of wheels and tires for them right?

Why not just order your BCG with the uppers when you get them?

KyARGuy

Link Posted: 12/25/2012 8:32:44 AM EDT
You CAN do it, it is NOT good practice.

If you think about the bolt wearing into each barrel extension, you'll understand. This will accellerate bolt wear which will mean at some point your bolt will close on a nogo gauge (it does not take much wear). It's only 50,000+- psi pretty close to your face. I want to keep my eyes. Some people get away with doing stupid things, but they should not advise others. I have ran 180mph on a motorcycle, I do not advise people to do this (I was young and dumb).

Buy a separate bolt (for each upper) and get into safe habits.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 1:59:09 PM EDT
Kyarguy the key words were until I can get a couple more. I don't know about you but things are tight now and crazy as well. I just spent a bunch on a 3 Gun shotgun. Then all this crap breaks out and now I'm scrambling to round up parts and uppers for the two AR's I didn't plan on buying this new year. My plan was to just get a Stag 3G. Since the whole gun is Hard to find, I'm building a stag lower and getting a 3G upper. Now I have no choice but to build the M4 I've been putting off getting as well. If money and parts were no issue my problem would already be solved.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 8:57:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Kyarguy:

Why not just order your BCG with the uppers when you get them?

I'm in the same boat, nobody seems to have BCG's in stock. Orrdered an upper to complete another build for my daughter but it's coming stripped.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 3:08:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2012 3:10:03 AM EDT by Geohans]
I think you're stuck for awhile, unless you can bite the bullet and grab one on GB for 300. Even IF things normalize, it seems unlikely they will be avail for under $200 for at least a year.

I'm sure every BCG on earth, and the next quarter million or so to be produced, have been snapped up by MFG's who are trying to put guns together and get them out the door ASAP.

So basically if you can scrape together $300, you're really only "losing" a hundred bucks as a consequence of your bad luck timing.

The swapping is okay in a pinch, but indeed it increases wear. But if you're like everyone else, you may be cutting down on your shooting for awhile. . . . so a few rounds certainly won't hurt.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:22:25 AM EDT
I'm just going to build the two lowers and try to not sweat it until I can get what I need. All this bull crap still ticks me off Wish that little tweeb had just went somewhere and sucked on a barrel.
Top Top