Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2013 5:01:52 PM EDT
I'm looking at a Magpul CTR stock to put on my A2 AR. I've swapped the upper for a flat top also, but I don't think that will make a difference in this.

I see mil-spec buffer tube assembly kits on ebay for $30-$40. They include a 6 position buffer tube, spring, buffer, and plate nut.

1. Is this all the hardware I will need for the conversion?
2. What would happen if a buffer malfunctioned? i.e. I bought a cheap one and it "messed up", not sure what would happen?

Should I spend a few extra bucks on a reputable brand or if it's made out of the same material is it pretty much the same? I'm not concerned about weight either.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#1]
spend the extra coin.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you think things on cheaperthandirt.com are okay or would you guys stay away from there? I've never ordered anything from them myself.

Also, are the parts I listed above all I'll need (including the stock) to complete the conversion? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
spend the extra coin.
View Quote

Yup.

Receiver extension, endplate, castle nut, buffer, spring.

ETA: Bravo Company, Rainier Arms, Brownells, Mid Way
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out Damage Industries (they're an Industry Partner). I got a buffer tube assembly kit from them that was nice quality for a good price.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Is "milspec tube" or "buffer tube" the same part as "receiver extension"?

+1 on Damage Industries, I think I'm just going to order from them - thanks!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
"Buffer tube" is a colloquialism for "receiver extension"

"Mil-spec" and "commercial" identify the external dimensions of the tubes. Make sure you have the right one for the stock you're using. They'll both fit the receiver threads, but won't fit the same stocks. Although, almost every collapsible stock can be bought in either size.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#7]
i usually use these delton stock kits  here a little over 80 bucks with the spring and buffer.

i recommend them. the're 7075T6.

im not promoting my store (mods dont get pissed, if anything im pointing the guy toward delton) im just saying i sell these and people are always happy with them. much better than the 39 dollar stuff you find.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Just another option here, I've always had great service from these guys. Scroll down and you'll see the CTR with a complete mil-spec kit with everything you need:

PK Firearms
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top