Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/2/2006 10:35:09 AM EDT
Can someone explain the difference in the current crop of Surefire Vertical Foregrip Weaponlights? It appears to me that the only difference between the AB and A is the size of the head (and the obvious impact this has on brightness and battery life) and the only difference between the 900 and 910 is the mounting method. Do I have this right?

Do all of the current versions come with the navigation lights? Is one color considered more useful than another?

Also, does Larue make a replacement lever for the 900 models? If so will it also fit the (less expensive) 910?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:43:18 AM EDT
Yes, Larue makes new levers, which I believe will attach to the 910.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:58:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 11:04:41 AM EDT by BrightFlashlights]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:00:00 AM EDT
The "A" version is the standard bezel. The "AB" version is the TurboHead bezel.

The same amount of lumens is focused by the wider deeper TurboHead reflector into a tighter, more intense beam:

M900A:

M900AB:

All M900 Series come with navigation LEDs.

Al
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:12:02 PM EDT
Any major draw backs to these compared to a seperate rail mounted light and vf grip??
Can you replace one tape switch with a tape for something else , like a laser ect.???
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:08:16 AM EDT
The drawback is it weighs 20oz. for the smaller A version. Its the heaviest light, foregrip combination you can put on your rifle. Also when it gets wet/submerged the Nav LEDs glow about as bright as the cheery of cigarettes for a couple hours straight till the elctronics dry out. The perm on is easy to work for a right hander but turning it off takes a bit more effort.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:35:23 AM EDT
I'm looking at using one because I like the easy-on/easy-off of the throw lever. I would only have it on the gun when I'm using it for the light.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:58:51 PM EDT
Consider a Pentagon MS3R. Rugged enough, plenty of light, mounts solid, quick-detach. Talk to Calvin for pricing. I have one and actually keep it mounted instead of my M900a, though I wouldn't sell either.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:11:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:06:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 5:08:57 PM EDT by WitchDoctor02]
Originally Posted By in_burrito:

Do all of the current versions come with the navigation lights? Is one color considered more useful than another?

quote]

Interesting thread to stumble onto - I was actually just on the phone with Surefire military sales staff discussing the M900 series for my M4.

The M900 is especially popular with SEALs and SF for its high-tolerance for prolonged rapid fire sequences. The rep I was talking to recommended the white led nav lights due to the fact that they stand out less than reds in that white is not uncommon. In the countryside or urban operations, others seeing your white nav lights from a distance will not necessarily be able to recognize you as a tactical element - the white may be from any lamp, light, TV, candle... as he explained. The red, he suggests, is the best second choice for is obvious strengths. Of course, you may want to consider IR nav lights, but there is an IR filter now available for the M900 series primary lamps. You cannot, at a later time, change the led bulb types, so if you choose red, you've got red, and so on...

The next most popular lights under military contract with Surefire are the M961 and M971 series lights.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:22:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By new-arguy:

Originally Posted By Size15s:
The "A" version is the standard bezel. The "AB" version is the TurboHead bezel.

The same amount of lumens is focused by the wider deeper TurboHead reflector into a tighter, more intense beam:

M900A:
www.littlefresher.co.uk/torch/photos/P55.jpg

M900AB:
www.littlefresher.co.uk/torch/photos/P56.jpg

All M900 Series come with navigation LEDs.

Al

Hahaha, Al, thats my old old appartment complex in those pictures. I had forgotten about those shots!

I remember the good 'ol days... When Neil had that "other" job and still had way more goodies than most people on this board. That is one dude that is dedicated to his guns!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:19:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:44:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By new-arguy:
I only just left that job for good in Sept. '04. They've even called me back a couple times to help out when it was busy.

I havent busted out the M900 with the turbo head in a while! Thats a bright light!

I run my M97LT170-XM06 when I want to illuminate everything. The 9V turboheads are one of the coolest pieces of kit you can pick up. With an FM24 and the MN16, it's still brighter as a KL1 with more throw and flood.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:11:07 PM EDT
KL1? As in the E series LED head?

Top Top