Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 11:35:22 AM EDT
I see on Surefires webiste the max output is 100 lumens on the LED!?!?! Is that right?  What is the throw like?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:56:39 AM EDT
[#3]
OK I was all set to buy the new anodised Gladius when I saw an ad for the L@ and thought WTF?!? but then say it was a 5W LED so I figured it was not gonna throw well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:15:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep, for whatever reason, SureFire have decided to go for LuxeonV's in reflectors and LuxeonIII's behind TIR optics.

The Gladius uses a generic reflector specifically designed for the LuxeonIII and as such produces a fine beam just like other flashlights using the same setup. Obviously the Gladius is more than just it's beam...

The L2 is what I carry clipped inside my pocket everyday. It's output is greater than the L4 (at least for a good 20-25 minutes or so) on high. The beam is broad and I find it extremely useful within the ranges I use light for. I don't appreciate LED light seeing things further off - I prefer incandescent light for outdoors for example.

The L2 is a long runtime flashlight like the 10X. Both the L2 and the 10X have a high output option - peddle to the metal output with a much sorter runtime. As such the L2's output on high is above it's regulation threshold allowing it to deliver maximum output. The L2's constant-on runtime/output chart is not flat like other regulated SureFires (or indeed like the L2's low output which is regulated).

And yet, I don't notice it isn't flat output and I appreciate the maximum output the L2 gives me.

The L2 is the best everyday use flashlight I've yet discovered for myself.

Al
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#6]
How does the SureFire L2 compare to Streamlights TL-3 LED as far as throw?  I ran a TL-3 LED at least 150 rounds during two range sessions in direct West Texas sun without any issues, FWIW.

Paladin

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:19:45 AM EDT
[#8]
i'm running the l2 right now as a personal carry FL... i find it has some features better than the gladius but i know the gladius has more throw... its almost focused.... but like all LED's.. dust/fog in the air really seems to scatter the light....

the l2 is smaller diameter... which is really nice... it acually has a pocket clip etc...

i'm sure once gladius get anodizing going... fixes a few more things and offer more options i'll be picking one of them up...
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top