Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/1/2005 11:35:22 AM EDT
I see on Surefires webiste the max output is 100 lumens on the LED!?!?! Is that right? What is the throw like?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:19:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:29:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:56:39 AM EDT
OK I was all set to buy the new anodised Gladius when I saw an ad for the L@ and thought WTF?!? but then say it was a 5W LED so I figured it was not gonna throw well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:15:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:21:56 AM EDT
Yep, for whatever reason, SureFire have decided to go for LuxeonV's in reflectors and LuxeonIII's behind TIR optics.

The Gladius uses a generic reflector specifically designed for the LuxeonIII and as such produces a fine beam just like other flashlights using the same setup. Obviously the Gladius is more than just it's beam...

The L2 is what I carry clipped inside my pocket everyday. It's output is greater than the L4 (at least for a good 20-25 minutes or so) on high. The beam is broad and I find it extremely useful within the ranges I use light for. I don't appreciate LED light seeing things further off - I prefer incandescent light for outdoors for example.

The L2 is a long runtime flashlight like the 10X. Both the L2 and the 10X have a high output option - peddle to the metal output with a much sorter runtime. As such the L2's output on high is above it's regulation threshold allowing it to deliver maximum output. The L2's constant-on runtime/output chart is not flat like other regulated SureFires (or indeed like the L2's low output which is regulated).

And yet, I don't notice it isn't flat output and I appreciate the maximum output the L2 gives me.

The L2 is the best everyday use flashlight I've yet discovered for myself.

Al
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:52:28 PM EDT
How does the SureFire L2 compare to Streamlights TL-3 LED as far as throw? I ran a TL-3 LED at least 150 rounds during two range sessions in direct West Texas sun without any issues, FWIW.

Paladin

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:03:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:19:45 AM EDT
i'm running the l2 right now as a personal carry FL... i find it has some features better than the gladius but i know the gladius has more throw... its almost focused.... but like all LED's.. dust/fog in the air really seems to scatter the light....

the l2 is smaller diameter... which is really nice... it acually has a pocket clip etc...

i'm sure once gladius get anodizing going... fixes a few more things and offer more options i'll be picking one of them up...
Top Top