Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2009 3:57:00 PM EDT
......or does this thing not have a push botton = ON, then push button = OFF function?
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Momentary on. No clicky.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
sorry...
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#3]
wow, big oversight on my part......wonder why this isn't a feature, besides saving battery life...
i mean, i don't wanna be making sure i have the thing depressed if i'm runnin around in the dark...
i know, i know, use it in conjunction with the vertical grip etc. but still..... wow....
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Does it not have the "twist on" cap like my 6P?
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

wow, big oversight on my part......wonder why this isn't a feature, besides saving battery life...

i mean, i don't wanna be making sure i have the thing depressed if i'm runnin around in the dark...

i know, i know, use it in conjunction with the vertical grip etc. but still..... wow....

You can also tighten it all the way and it will stay on.

If you want the clicky tailcap, Surefire sells it, but it's more cost effective to buy it as part of the 6P Defender.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Kind of odd isn't it.  I ended up buying the "clicky" tail cap, as I'm sure a lot of people have, and will.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:40:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Push button for momentary on/off
Twist cap all the way down for permanent on
Twist cap partially off and you will get it into "lock out" mode
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:20:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:38:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not everyone wants or likes clickie tail caps on a tactical light.

I agree. I prefer the style and function of the G2 over a clicky. The LX2's function is the best thought out that I've ever used.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Could you please elaborate on this. I am looking to purchase a LX2 and all info is appreciated.
Thanks,
RangerT

Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. I prefer the style and function of the G2 over a clicky. The LX2's function is the best thought out that I've ever used.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Sure. The LX2 has a two stage tailcap button. It does not have a "click" position. If you want it to be permanently on, in either the low or the high output beam, you must twist the cap. Thus, for momentary on/off you use the tailcap. A light press on the tailcap gives you the low output 15 lumen beam. A full press (press all the way down) and you get the high output 200 lumen beam. Therefore, you always have access to both the low and the high beam.

Conversely, the E2D uses a two stage clicky tail cap. The high beam is accessed on the first button press. If you press the tailcap again within 2 seconds you get the low 5 lumen output. You cannot get the low output without hitting the high first. You cannot get high again if you want it within 2 seconds of already using it (because you are going to get the low). Think about room clearing. You splash the room, acquire a target, move position and go to splash again to engage the target. If all this happens within 2 seconds you are going to get the low beam instead of the high with the E2D.

The LX2 solves this. If I want high, I press the tailcap button all the way in. If I want high again, all I have to do is press it all the way in again. If I want the low beam I have access to that with a light press on the tailcap without having to possibly ruin my own night vision by blasting with the high beam first. Also, you can toggle between the low beam and the high by varying your pressure on the tail cap.

Quoted:
Could you please elaborate on this. I am looking to purchase a LX2 and all info is appreciated.
Thanks,
RangerT

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Hero, Thanks for the explanation. It looks as if the LX2 is the light for me. I assume Brightflashlights.com is the way to go on getting a good deal?
Thanks,
RangerT
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#13]
In a high-stress situation with adrenaline pumping through your veins you are not going to have the fine motor skills to perform "light press" and "hard press".
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:52:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In a high-stress situation with adrenaline pumping through your veins you are not going to have the fine motor skills to perform "light press" and "hard press".

Agreed - In such situations you'll likely only need full output so mashing down gets you what you need, and releasing shuts off the light so it acts like a normal momentary push button.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:19:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed - In such situations you'll likely only need full output so mashing down gets you what you need, and releasing shuts off the light so it acts like a normal momentary push button.

Exactly. Like I said, you will always have access to the high beam when you need it. That's also why I think it's perfect that the high beam requires the full press rather than the light press.

The times when I need the low beam are also low stress situations and getting the low beam when you want it then is no problem at all.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:20:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hero, Thanks for the explanation. It looks as if the LX2 is the light for me. I assume Brightflashlights.com is the way to go on getting a good deal?
Thanks,
RangerT

Yep. I got mine from BrightFlashLights for $162 shipped.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:17:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I like the "click" tail cap on the G2 I have mounted on my SBR.  I can push it slightly to get a momentary light, or click it on.  It's mounted just a head of my vertical grip, and it's real handy in this location.  I just give it a little push with my knuckle.  I have the standard tail caps on my other 2 Surefires.  The standard tail cap is fine for hand held use.

DBAR

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the "click" tail cap on the G2 I have mounted on my SBR.  I can push it slightly to get a momentary light, or click it on.  It's mounted just a head of my vertical grip, and it's real handy in this location.  I just give it a little push with my knuckle.  I have the standard tail caps on my other 2 Surefires.  The standard tail cap is fine for hand held use.

DBAR

I don't mind the clickies that work this way at all. My problem with the E2D style is the two-stage, two-second low mode clicky tailcap. Sounds like your G2 is set up well.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:55:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Right, you get the high output from the hard press only in high-stress.  The light is designed to skip the on/off/on balony of the E2DL and E1B.   The "low" is there for low-stress situations only.  High-stress and you are mashing the button.

LX2 is by far the best interface out there.  It is still a bit much $ for my tastes though.  The LX1 should be cheaper and smaller.  I'll probably get that one when it comes out in the next month or so.  I'm not wasting my money on any other bulbs/lights until the LX1 starts shipping.

OP, your light is set up that way for a reason  Clicky is a convienience, but if you take a low-light course, you will see that momentary-on is there for a reason.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:03:15 AM EDT
[#20]
+1 to DanTSX

I'm getting an LX1 when they come out. Already am on BrightFlashLights list for 2 of them (one is for dad).
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top