Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/29/2004 12:05:13 PM EST
Does anyone have a pic of the mysterious SUREFIRE BEAST? I hear it will blow any other flashlight and SPOT LIGHT away. I searched their web site and they dont seem to list the BEAST (not surprising because their web site is at least a year old and hasnt been updated in a LONG time).
Link Posted: 7/29/2004 12:45:04 PM EST
Would this be it..... http://www.pk-engineering.com/McGizmo/Maui2004/In-sky.jpg?

Adrian
Link Posted: 7/29/2004 12:47:05 PM EST
By the way, that BAD BOY would be 2000 LUMENS!!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2004 1:35:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By ROK:
(not surprising because their web site is at least a year old and hasnt been updated in a LONG time).

Slightly off topic, BUT, the SureFire website is updated on a pretty regular basis. It might not seem that way to you, but the E2D is one their website, how long ago was it released? Maybe a couple months? They also have the new version of the KL1 head... it is yet to be released (dealers should start seeing them very soon). Are you telling me the L5 and L6 models shown on their website have been available for over a year now? How about the X200 WeaponLight?

Just thinking out loud.
-Randy
Link Posted: 7/29/2004 3:42:33 PM EST
OOPS sorry. ME HAVE TUNNEL VISION.

I was only looking for their other newer stuff like the SCOUT and BEAST. I couldnt get any info on either from their web site and no one I worked with knew how to get info on that stuff other than google and here. But hey, this is the best place for the latest and greatest on all kinds of cool stuff!!!

BTW - where are the pics of newer flashlights with the IMPACT devices? I guess those arent available yet...

Thanks to all for the cool links. I wonder how much it will cost???
Link Posted: 7/29/2004 3:55:37 PM EST
This reply is from another forum from someone that is a rep for Surefire:

"They're available...if you work for the right agency.

They generate approx 2,000 lumens, and cost about $1 per lumen.

Currently certain SOCOM units have them mounted atop M2 .50 cal belt-feds, enabling them to ID and engage target in excess of 1 mile.

Another federal agency is using them to intercept border-crossing "visitors".

The hot-shit setup is currently running on lithium batteries/vehicle power/or BA5590 comms gear batteries...

The heavy rubber armor you see enables it to be bounced off concrete from shoulder-height without damage. In addition to the HID lamp, some models have integrated LEDs (SuperAviator!) that can be used for weeks at a time.

You could have one soon, just call your local recruiter and sign up.

-john out"

Hope that helps.

Adrian
Link Posted: 7/29/2004 4:07:35 PM EST
AWESOME. I'll make that call.
Link Posted: 7/29/2004 5:42:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/29/2004 5:43:22 PM EST by double_r76]

Originally Posted By ROK:
OOPS sorry. ME HAVE TUNNEL VISION.

I was only looking for their other newer stuff like the SCOUT and BEAST. I couldnt get any info on either from their web site and no one I worked with knew how to get info on that stuff other than google and here. But hey, this is the best place for the latest and greatest on all kinds of cool stuff!!!

BTW - where are the pics of newer flashlights with the IMPACT devices? I guess those arent available yet...

Thanks to all for the cool links. I wonder how much it will cost???

Don't get me wrong... I'm not sayin that the SF site is up to date, I'm just saying that it gets updated.

No, Scout light is not on their website, but I know it's out because there is one sitting on my carbine right now. I don't understand how the Scout Light made it into the 2004 Illumination Tools catalog that came out loooong ago, but still is not on the site. There is obviously no method or reasoning about what makes it to the website and when it gets there, if ever.

This right here is the best place to get info! Just ask BrightFlashlights or Size15s!

-Randy

BTW, what did you want to know about the Scout Light... I've got one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2004 6:18:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/29/2004 6:20:51 PM EST by fight4yourrights]
Link Posted: 7/29/2004 6:55:20 PM EST
2000 lumens is bright, and 1 mile is far
Link Posted: 7/29/2004 7:20:08 PM EST
RE: SCOUT
I wanted to know the LUMENS and options like IR filters and such. Many of us who use the SF 9XX series 3-volts dislike the added weight it brings. Dont get me wrong. We love the lights - just not the weight - So when one of our own returned from a recent conference, he described the SCOUT and said they should be available. We checked the web site and no go. Shucks darn.

So what do ya think? Is it worth the sacrifice in weight? Can it project at least 125 LUMENS? We rarely switch to the 225 bulbs (because we cant keep enough batteries around). Does it seem as sturdy? Maybe I should have started another thread...

Thanks again for the feedback
Link Posted: 7/29/2004 7:34:24 PM EST
How many lumens is 2000, compared to say, a vehicle head light? High Beam? I had a buddy with one of those M6 Devastators, and that was comparable to the halogen's on my Jeep....
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 1:31:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/30/2004 5:21:38 AM EST by gus]

Originally Posted By ChupacabrA:
How many lumens is 2000, compared to say, a vehicle head light? High Beam? I had a buddy with one of those M6 Devastators, and that was comparable to the halogen's on my Jeep....

The M6 is either 250 or 500 lumens, depending on which lamp is installed. 2000 lumens is mucho bright!
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 3:14:08 AM EST
Mmmmmmmmm....2,000 lumens. I would be in flashlight heaven if I ever got my hands on one of them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 1:02:46 PM EST
I'm already saving
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 5:55:39 PM EST
ROK -

I have the SF Scout on my Bushy Modular and no it doesn't put out 125 lumens. It only puts out 65 lumens but when I compare it side by side with my Classic 650 which puts out 120 lumens it seems as bright. The beam is concentrated or focused differently so it appears to be as bright. It is the same size as an E2d Defender with a built in thumb screw mount and about one third the weight of it's big brother. Definitely the ticket for me.

Try one, you'll like it,
MadDog
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 1:35:46 AM EST
The ScoutLight M651C and Millennium Universal WeaponLight M951C:
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 4:29:55 PM EST
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=530509&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 7:25:59 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 9:22:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By Size15s:
The ScoutLight M651C and Millennium Universal WeaponLight M951C:
www.pk-engineering.com/Size15/images1/al-scout.jpg

Where did you get your Scout Light?
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 9:32:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By akajimmy:

I got mine from BrightFlashlights...

-Randy
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 5:39:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By double_r76:

Originally Posted By akajimmy:

I got mine from BrightFlashlights...

-Randy

I should have known
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 5:59:28 PM EST
They say it's HID in that candlepower forum. I don't see how that's possible, I've never heard of an HID lamp small enough to fit into one of those things. I'd also like to know what they did with the ballast, unless it's inside the handle somewhere, which seems unlikely too. If it really is HID, then that thing is one heck of a piece of technology, and the $1 per lumen is well justified.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:17:15 PM EST
If you want something bright, get a Maxabeam.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:23:56 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:32:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By jaqattack02:
They say it's HID in that candlepower forum. I don't see how that's possible, I've never heard of an HID lamp small enough to fit into one of those things. I'd also like to know what they did with the ballast, unless it's inside the handle somewhere, which seems unlikely too. If it really is HID, then that thing is one heck of a piece of technology, and the $1 per lumen is well justified.

There are several options for hand held HID lights on the market now. One of the most affordable is the X990. It will set you back about 500 bucks.

The Maxabeam is more expensive but you can focus the beam down to a pencil beam that will reach very very far. The thing that sets the Surefire apart is its compactness and weapon mount ability.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:31:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/6/2004 1:34:22 PM EST by kenjgood]
I have a couple of pics as I used to own the "Beast" (1 of 4 made)

Here is another pic from a little spoof I did on our website quite a few months ago...I was posing as a new user asking what type of light should I put on my handgun....& How should I mount it....
Was torn between the E2 and the "Beast" because they were so similar in performance and ergonomics...

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:36:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By laynlow40:
The thing that sets the Surefire apart is its compactness and weapon mount ability.

At that power, do you really need to attach it to a weapon? Just mount a magnifying glass in front of it and presto, you're 8yrs old again frying people sized ants...
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:38:07 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:39:32 PM EST
The cool thing about the light was in hummed like some type of plasma weapon!

It was crazy bright.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:41:54 PM EST
Worrrd.
Can you sell me one Ken?
I Just got jumbo-sized picatinny rails installed on the 3,6 and 9 O'clock
of my BlackHawk.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:53:06 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 2:05:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By KaliSIG:
This reply is from another forum from someone that is a rep for Surefire:

"They're available...if you work for the right agency.

They generate approx 2,000 lumens, and cost about $1 per lumen.

Currently certain SOCOM units have them mounted atop M2 .50 cal belt-feds, enabling them to ID and engage target in excess of 1 mile.

Another federal agency is using them to intercept border-crossing "visitors".

The hot-shit setup is currently running on lithium batteries/vehicle power/or BA5590 comms gear batteries...

The heavy rubber armor you see enables it to be bounced off concrete from shoulder-height without damage. In addition to the HID lamp, some models have integrated LEDs (SuperAviator!) that can be used for weeks at a time.

You could have one soon, just call your local recruiter and sign up.

-john out"

Hope that helps.

Adrian

I just saw one yesterday. Holy shit, are those things bright.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:40:53 PM EST
is that thing available with the strike bezel?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:48:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By footrat:
is that thing available with the strike bezel?

yeah, it's called a bulldozer..............
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:52:51 AM EST
I would like to do a few more spoofs on it....But I sold the monster to somebody for a song.

It was fun while I had it.

Few downsides though:

1. A bit difficult to get in and out of your vehicle with it carried in a holster
2. If you missed the hitting the threat in the head (when using as a striking instrument) you had a tendency to end up in the next county…
3. There was no on/off switch….the thing twists to go ON/OFF…Burned up a few flight suits hiding the beam on my chest
4. My electricity bill went up 421.34% just keeping the thing is the trickle charger.
5. The FAA did not appreciate me calling in commercial jets on my driveway
6. When mounted on handguns, it has a tendency to throw your zero off by a ½” at 200 yards…unacceptable
7. There is no cure for retina explosion when you accidentally look in to it…although the eye patch is very distinctive!
8. If you carry it concealed in you waist band, you may have to explain the crowd of women camped outside your front door
9. The Department of Homeland Security may start taking a unwanted keener interest in you
10. Replacement bulbs require a second on your house mortgage….

Cool light though. Collectors item for sure.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:10:51 PM EST
Damn.

That thing needs a pistol grip and a sling.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:58:19 PM EST
I'd almost expect it to have recoil!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:56:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By kenjgood:
I would like to do a few more spoofs on it....But I sold the monster to somebody for a song.

It was fun while I had it.

Few downsides though:

1. A bit difficult to get in and out of your vehicle with it carried in a holster
2. If you missed the hitting the threat in the head (when using as a striking instrument) you had a tendency to end up in the next county…
3. There was no on/off switch….the thing twists to go ON/OFF…Burned up a few flight suits hiding the beam on my chest
4. My electricity bill went up 421.34% just keeping the thing is the trickle charger.
5. The FAA did not appreciate me calling in commercial jets on my driveway
6. When mounted on handguns, it has a tendency to throw your zero off by a ½” at 200 yards…unacceptable
7. There is no cure for retina explosion when you accidentally look in to it…although the eye patch is very distinctive!
8. If you carry it concealed in you waist band, you may have to explain the crowd of women camped outside your front door
9. The Department of Homeland Security may start taking a unwanted keener interest in you
10. Replacement bulbs require a second on your house mortgage….

Cool light though. Collectors item for sure.

so your the one that caused the big blackout in 2003...you turned on your light!!!!
Top Top