Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2017 2:26:56 PM EDT
I'm trying to time my 3 prong SF flashhider on my mk18 upper and it appears that it didn't come with any purple colored shims (the only one I actually need to fit the timing right).  I bought it at a local gun shop... maybe someone jacked the purples?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay, go back to the shop you bought it from and tell them about your problem!

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.  I intend to do just that... but I want to know if anyone here has ever had this problem.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes.  I intend to do just that... but I want to know if anyone here has ever had this problem.
View Quote

I am sure we all have had problems with missing parts, not all that uncommon these days.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait .... do the flash hiders come with shims since they really do not need to be timed?  I would think since it is not a brake you are not directing flash in a certain direction therefore you would not need to time it.  I get that an A2 needs timing because you want the vents up but a prong flash hider I would think would not need shims for timing unless you are really worried about how it looks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wait .... do the flash hiders come with shims since they really do not need to be timed?  I would think since it is not a brake you are not directing flash in a certain direction therefore you would not need to time it.  I get that an A2 needs timing because you want the vents up but a prong flash hider I would think would not need shims for timing unless you are really worried about how it looks.
View Quote

Surefire 3 prongs come with shims and a timing chart.  But you are right, it's mostly for looks.  I'm just upset because in my mind maybe someone bought the flash hider, swapped the shims out (one looked like it was bent in half), and then returned it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

If he is using the flash hider that I think he is using, then yes, it will need to be timed. The timing is important for attaching the suppressor as a correctly timed flash hider makes it easier to index the can before installation.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Surefire 3 prongs come with shims and a timing chart.  But you are right, it's mostly for looks.  I'm just upset because in my mind maybe someone bought the flash hider, swapped the shims out (one looked like it was bent in half), and then returned it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you using a suppressor compatible 3 prong, or a non suppressor compatible 3 prong?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are you using a suppressor compatible 3 prong, or a non suppressor compatible 3 prong?
View Quote

The suppressor compatible 3 prong for my socom rc
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then go back to the dealer and tell him what your problem is, bitching about it on here is not going to fix your problem!

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I cannot recall which shim it was, but I have had several SF muzzle devices that did not include either purple, or no-color shims in the kit.  

Since I had a few to install, I just called surefire and asked for a few full shim kits, which have a lot more than the small kit that comes with each device.

My recommendation would be to go back to the dealer, and check a different shim kit to see if it has the one you need.  If it has the no-color ones in there (which I think are the most thin), you may be able to use a few of those to do the same thing.

Alternatively, you could call S/F and politely ask for a few.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Deleted by moderator. Please no name calling or personal attacks. 
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I cannot recall which shim it was, but I have had several SF muzzle devices that did not include either purple, or no-color shims in the kit.  

Since I had a few to install, I just called surefire and asked for a few full shim kits, which have a lot more than the small kit that comes with each device.

My recommendation would be to go back to the dealer, and check a different shim kit to see if it has the one you need.  If it has the no-color ones in there (which I think are the most thin), you may be able to use a few of those to do the same thing.

View Quote

Thank you! This helps me greatly
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

This has been my experience with multiple Surefire muzzle devices. I have been able to install all of them with the included shims. Just takes some trial and error.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thank you! This helps me greatly
View Quote

What is the total thickness of the shims you want to use including the purple one?  Refer to the manual
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#16]
make sure you put the conical side of the spacer towards the barrel and not against the shims like the gun smith did with mine and make sure you use an alignment rod to make sure it centered right. I am still waiting on mine to come back from surefire. 
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Email surefire. I needed extra/different shims and they sent me a bag free of charge. Came in 2 days I think.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:53:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I would just email surefire and tell them the problem, they will have a shim set sent out in no time, free of charge.

The place you bought it from will likely tell you do do what i just said.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:08:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I just called them up and they sent me some additional shims within a few days.. Very stress free
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:37:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Deleted
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#21]
The last couple surefire muzzle devices I've purchased didn't include any purple shims. 2 green and 3 red if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

The flash hider has three prongs with three spaces.  The means the gas has three escape paths.  Most people don't want to install muzzle devices so the gas shoots straight down and blows dirt all over the place.  Not only do they come with shims, there is a dot on the flash hider that you use for indexing.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Only thing I can think of when I keep reading DaveP1's replies with all the exclamation points, lol.

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Only thing I can think of when I keep reading DaveP1's replies with all the exclamation points, lol.

https://sheilafaulstich.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/lesko.jpg
View Quote

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top