Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/9/2003 10:19:13 AM EDT
Hello folks.

Before I venture into M96x series, I wanted to try out low-end Sure-fire products first. I'm going to attach them to my SIR using any 1" Weaver ring and I was curious which one I'm better off with. The only difference I know is that 6P is aluminium construction and has tail lock cap while G2 is a Nitron construction. Which would be better for do-it-all light?
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I think current 6P's have flats milled on the sides. these flats may interfier with putting the light in a weaver ring.

The G2 will not fit in a 1" weaver ring.

I have two G2's. The first one I gbought over a year ago. It is very well made.  The more recent one appears to use a less dense plastic, and the switch isnt as "tight." Of course what do you expect for a $25.00 flashlight that comes with batteries.

I'm pretty much at the point that I view the G2 as a spare battery and lamp carrier, that is shaped light a flashlight.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

What size rings will it fit in?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm pretty much at the point that I view the G2 as a spare battery and lamp carrier, that is shaped light a flashlight.
View Quote

Okay.

But have you had any problems with your G2's??

From my experience and what I've seen with other AR15.com G2 users, the G2 is a durable little light.  It can easily perform "personal light" duty, and does very well as an inexpensive weaponlight on a 5.56.

IMHO, G2's are an incredible buy at $28.  Not so much that they are underpriced (another $10 higher puts them out of their market), but that they are simply that good/durable.

EDITED for a typo.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a G2 Mounted in a el cheapo 1" ring on the side of my rail system.  Granted, the ring will not close totally, but certain 1" rings will work.

Mine is a two-piece ring that splits horizontally through the ears, and there is just a little gap left.

- Nw -
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:57:48 AM EDT
[#6]
The G2 is better than the 6P in my experience. Same ratings; but cheaper and the Nitrolon body appears a lot more shock resistant than the aluminium body of the 6P.

For the price of a single 6P, you could have two G2s - which gives you a spare flashlight and batteries should your first G2 fail.

View Quote

I am using a Millet low-mount 1" weaver ring to mount my G2 in and it fits in there. You have to open the rings all the way up to get it in there; but it does fit.

Mine is a two-piece ring that splits horizontally through the ears, and there is just a little gap left.
View Quote

Same here. I paid $20 for two of the Millets at Academy; but you can buy cheaper versions of these through CDNN for $3-5 per ring.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:05:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Try the TRG "Weapon Flashlight Mount". Fits dam near any flashlight and is rugged as hell. I think I saw pictures of the 82nd Airborne using them in Afghanistan+Iraq on their M4's. It also reqiures no tools what so ever.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

[gary coleman]What'ch you talk'n about Willis?[/gary coleman]

I've got two G2's sitting in 1" rings right now.

I even ran a night course with a G2 in a 1" ring.

View Quote

?? I much prefer my G2s to my 6P.  Lighter, cheaper (like half the price), textured grip, and can take dropping much better (got that from a Surefire rep).

I just wish they made the 6v classic weapon light in their plastic - it would sure help with weight.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:58:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I must be different, I change the batteries by removing the lamp.  Once I get the tail end set to where I like it I just hate moving it.  Now I know there is a better reason not to remove the tailcap.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[gary coleman]What'ch you talk'n about Willis?[/gary coleman]

I've got two G2's sitting in 1" rings right now.

I even ran a night course with a G2 in a 1" ring.

View Quote

Are they [i]weaver[/i] 1" rings? None of the several Weaver brand 1" rings in my spare parts bin will open enough to accept a G2.  I have other 1" rings, that use 4 screws instead of the two screws common to a Weaver ring, that will work.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top