Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/19/2005 7:46:52 AM EDT
I am looking for a relatively cheap yet effective light. I am familiar with the SureFire but less so with the Pentagon series. Therefore I want to see how they compare.

First, do the tail cap switches on the Pentagon series work in a similar manner to those on the Surefire?

Which is brightest?

Next, I have a few questions about mounting options. Since these lights are going to be used on my spare AR's, I'm not going to buy KAC or Larue fore ends just so I can mount a $50 or $100 light on them. All I want is a light mounted at 6 o' clock, to be used in conjuction with a GG&G vertical foregrip and activated with the knuckle of my forefinger. I haven't yet decided on what handguard to use but it will probably be the GG&G UFIR rail on the standard handguards or a Fobus M-33. Remember, I want to keep it simple and low cost. Plus, I don't plan on mounting any optics on whatever I choose. I'll flat-top mount those. All I want in addition to that is just the light and foregrip, therefore I have no need for a $250 quad rail forend.

Therefore, what mounts have you found best suited to this type of mounting situation? What about the Fobus mount? Or 1" scope rings? If rings, what type would be best suited to getting the light at the right position, away from the underside of the gun but within easy reach?

I know that's a slew of questions, but I prefer asking them ahead of time as opposed to being sorry later.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:02:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2005 8:05:26 AM EDT by Will]
Well, I have a thread going right now about sight tower mounts. I have found some cheap and they would allow either a 9:00 or 6:00 mount on either side of the tower. I haven't tested mine yet though and am seeking feedback on whether or not they affect accuracy/point of impact.

I note that a number of different manufacturers use this type of arrangement though. Using a Weaver style ring you could mount a Surefire or other light using this setup without a lot of trouble or expense I would think.

These are the mounts I found, they are rock solid while I have been "playing" with them around the house etc......http://www.cdnninvestments.com/arfrsitomone.html

Choice of light and mounting technique would be up to you.

Edited to add, I overlooked your use of the foregrip. This type of mount may not work for you. Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:38:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2005 8:39:35 AM EDT by BrightFlashlights]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:41:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BrightFlashlights:
Both the 6v SF & 6v PL are near equal in performance, the SF lights have an edge in beam uniformity but overall the brightness is virtually the same (for the std. SF P60 lamp). Both lights have good accessory options buth the SF wins out with more accessories & customization capablities (high output lamp, 9v conversion & more) as well as being more prevalent in terms of parts aquisition.

As far as weapons use is concerned the PL is basically ready to go right out of the box whereas on the SF it'd be advisable to add the Z32 s.i. bezel. The PL's design iscwell suited for weapons use by it having the battery retention and well packed lamp. The X2 & X3 are slightly heavier but it's not a significant difference.

Costwise, if you go with the SF G2 & Z32 you could spend a little less than the PL but if you're thinking about the 6P/Z32 then the PL X2 wins out, especially if you go with the HA finish.

Good info! Thanks.

Considering I want to use this in conjunction with a vertical grip and activate with the forefinger of my grip hand (mounted at 6 O' Clock), what mount do you think would work best with that setup?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:46:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2005 8:51:18 AM EDT by BrightFlashlights]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:08:38 AM EDT
Yeah, great thinking. That's why I had considered the M33 handguards. Since I only need the 6 'O Clock position, I will be able to take care of two carbines with one set, which will further keep the cost down. In the end, it would be about as cheap as buying the seperate picatinny rails and being the M33's will be buiolt in, should be more sturdy.

I will likely just go with the 1" scope rings to stick to the simple and cheap approach and the Pentagon light. Not sure yet whether I'll get the X2 or X3, but I like the 135 lumen output of the X3 very well. However that light is a bit on the long side, so I'll think this over carefully before making a purchase.

Once I get one, I'll experiment with various rings I already have on hand and see whether or not I need to use medium or high rings to allow for clearance.

BTW, if you carry the X2 and X3 in HA finish, IM me your current price if you don't mind.

Thanks,

-CH
Top Top