Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/11/2005 12:49:06 PM EDT
What does a supressor do?

I am guessing the supressors are the same as "silencers"? NO, YES?

I think for a weapon to be silenced, the bullet needs to travel less than the speed of sound, around 1100 fps or slower, yes? this ain't happening with standard 223 rounds, so by elimination it cannot be silenced.

So can someone give me the skinny on what a supressor is?

Are they regulated?

sorry for the rookie questions.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What does a supressor do?

I am guessing the supressors are the same as "silencers"? NO, YES?

I think for a weapon to be silenced, the bullet needs to travel less than the speed of sound, around 1100 fps or slower, yes? this ain't happening with standard 223 rounds, so by elimination it cannot be silenced.

So can someone give me the skinny on what a supressor is?

Are they regulated?

sorry for the rookie questions.

1) silencers are a movie term. Guns can only be supressed.
2) For silent the bullet needs to be subsonic that is true, but supressed is a lot quieter than without a supressor.
3) They are regulated by the NFA of 1934. you can own them if NC allows it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Sound suppressors (not to be confused with flash suppressors) do not "silence" a firearm. The .22LR suppressor is the quietest of the suppressors, and pretty much the only one that comes close to those portrayed in films. Centerfire rifle and handgun suppressors drop the sound pressure level down to levels below the hearing damage threshold of 140 dB while using regular supersonic ammo, which is far from silent.

Subsonic ammo reduces the SPL more, but you sacrifice velocity, which translates to shorter effective range.

Yes, they are regulated by the BATF. If your state allows them, you must have the local Sheriff or Chief of Police sign your papers, and also submit fingerprints for an FBI background check, and pay the BATF a one-time $200 tax per suppressor.

EDIT: North Carolina allows suppressor ownership, but the owner must hold an FFL.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

1) silencers are a movie term. Guns can only be supressed.

"silencer" and "firearm muffler" are the legally defined terms. Since 1934.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top