Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/13/2010 4:52:37 AM EDT
So I'm asking this question for a friend since he doesn't do the whole "forums" thing.

He has a Stag AR15 in 5.56 and got a YHM suppressor recently. We went to the range this past weekend to shoot it. It worked fine for one 30 round Pmag but then the shit hit the fan. There were Failures to Eject galore. One case actually remained stuck in the chamber and had to be rammed out. We were shooting federal ammo. His Stag has an H buffer.

When I shot it, the first round failed to eject and the second round fired but somehow froze the fire control group. I swapped in my Colt lower while they were fixing the FCG problem and it shot fine.

Any clues?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:34:01 AM EDT
How did it shoot without the suppressor
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:36:29 AM EDT
Just fine if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:10:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:40:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Dano523:
Change the extractor spring out to an extra tension spring or both with and without suppressor. This will insure that the extractor does not slip off the case rim either way before the end of stroke.

Then when running the can, change the buffer out to a H-3 unit. Here, the can adds more bore back pressure, which causes higher levels of gas pressure back to the bolt, and since the match of the action is spring tension, gas pressure (dwell), and b/c- buffer mass, when the action pressure become higher (which cause the bolt to unlock faster with the residual bore pressure too high for the spent case to be pulled correctly), the increase in buffer mass will equal the works/bolt unlock back to normal.

Another way to adjust the math is also a adjustable gas block so the gas (dwell) going to the action can be turned down with the can, but really, just changing out the buffer is about as fast as well (and tad cheaper too).

Buddy of mine has the H-3 on a suppressed 16" AR and he never takes it out ... even without the suppressor it functions although a tad sluggish and ever once in a while the bolt won't lock on the last round but other than that it works.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:02:24 AM EDT
Thanks guys. I'll shoot these suggestions over to my friend.
Top Top