Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2009 3:29:26 AM EST

Anybody else have problems with Superior Arms lower receivers?

I've bought 8 or 9 of their stripped lowers over the past several months and have had pretty good luck with them, until lately.

I have 2 stripped lowers with sequential serial numbers, that I used to build into 7.62x39 & 6.8SPC rifles....they don't fit the uppers AT ALL, and I have nothing but problems with them. They don't appear to be cut properly, as there is a large gap between upper & lower on both (one is a DPMS upper, the other is unknown). The magazines, when empty, won't activate the bolt catch either, as if the uppers are perched too high.

The uppers were both brand-new.

I'll give them a call to see if they can make these right; my 5.56 uppers don't fit well on them either. Anyone have their "go-to" info, or can I do OK by just contacting them directly?

Link Posted: 5/22/2009 4:00:29 AM EST
I have one with a Del-ton 5.56 upper half and one with a M1S 7.62 upper half and I have no problems. I thought my mag wells were tight but it was only a out of spec magazine. I've heard Superior will make it right if you have a problem though. It seems to be a subject brought up before around here.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 7:39:06 AM EST
I had the same issue.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=437700

the dealer took it back.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 7:48:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/22/2009 7:49:26 AM EST by usmc0331tamu00]
Mine didn't fit perfectly but it worked after a little work.

The biggest problem I had with it was the mag well was too tight.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=442256

I have not sent it back yet.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 8:38:17 AM EST
Sounds like the typical QC issues from many of the "low cost" lowers. I've had numerous SA lowers, and others, that didn't work. Some wouldn't take a lower, others wouldn't take a trigger (pin holes didn't line up from side to side), one wouldn't even take a USGI mag (USGI, not oversized PMAG).

In all cases that I had problems, SA swapped out the lowers for me. I promptly sold them and found something better (ie: I went through the massive hassle/expense of getting an 07 FFL so that I simply build my own).
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 10:01:49 AM EST
I bought 4 S/A lowers last year but just got around to finishing the last one a couple of weeks ago due to the shortage of parts. With the first three I didn't have any problems. On had a slightly tight mag well, but it worked ok with most of my mags. But the fourth one had a major problem. After I got it all put together I tried to mate it to the upper and it wouldn't go. The rear pin absolutely wouldn't go through. I tried all five of my uppers and none would work with it. So I began to look more closely at the lower. It turned out that the fire control well was machined off center which threw the upper at an angle so that the rear pin could not go through it. It was off enough that just looking at it you could tell that one side was a lot thicker than the other.

So I contacted S/A late last week. I first sent an email but didn't get any response, then a day later I called but didn't get an answer so finally I sent a fax and described the problem. Within an hour Terry from S/A called. He was really pleasant and helpful, and simply told me to send it back and he'd replace it, and even gave me his UPS shipping number so the shipping didn't cost me anything. He apologized that no one had answered my email, and that I couldn't get through on the phone, he said his office staff had gone to the NRA show in Phoenix so they were running short handed, and were behind on some things.

So, to make a long story short, I'd say try calling and if you can't get through send a fax.

Link Posted: 5/22/2009 11:33:55 AM EST
I just recently finished building on a S/A lower. Other than PMAGS being a little tight in the magwell, everything else seems GTG. The lower matches perfect with keyhole upper from CMMG and there is absolutely no slop.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 9:46:51 PM EST

FANTASTIC, thanks everyone!

I'll contact them first thing Tuesday.

I built 2 basic 5.56 carbines several months ago using SA lowers (for my wife & daughter), and everything went together VERY well. I was so happy I bought many more SA stripped lowers. These 2 that don't fit too well must have just been part of a bad batch. I'm happy with the others, so no bad-mouthing nor slamming of SA at all. Just hoping to hear if anyone else has had this same thing happen to them, and their experiences with SA customer service.

Thank you very much!!!

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 3:00:26 AM EST
I did a couple of builds with them a few years ago, had no issues.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 5:30:25 AM EST
My Superior Arms lower is a tight fit with my DPMS A1 upper, but perfectly fine with the DSA A3 uppers that AIM sells.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 8:09:25 AM EST
My SA lower works great with my model 1 sales upper. USGI mags drop free, 20 round pmags drop free but the new 30 round pmags only drop free 90%. No biggie though as they only take slight pressure to drop free. Very happy with mine.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 9:38:37 PM EST
Good news! I emailed them Tuesday morning (after Memorial Day holiday) & received a phone call several hours later; I was told to send them back with a note explaining the problem & that they would take care of it. I was also given their UPS account number so that there is no charge to me at all. How cool is that!

So, as I was boxing these 2 lowers up for shipment, I realized that I had 2 more as spares sitting in my safe. I pulled them out for some test-fitting and sure enough, one of those was also out of spec! So into the return box it went.

It seems that the bad ones are all confined to a small block of closely-numbered lowers, while the others I have that fit flawlessly all have lower serial numbers.

Looks like they had a bad run of lowers, but so far top-notch customer service.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 11:27:01 PM EST
What is the serial number batch that is bad? One of my dealer's is trying to unload some of these SA lowers. Keeps bragging about the adjustment screw for the trigger and that I can get consecutive serial numbers if I want. But he wants $129 plus tax for them. I was thinking of picking up a couple if I knew what to look for, and if he would come down closer to say the $90 price I have seen them for at other places.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 6:51:53 AM EST
The two that I had a problem with, one had a slightly tight mag well and the other was completely unusable because the f/c well was machined off center were both 1436#.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 2:15:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By H53EXPERT:
What is the serial number batch that is bad? One of my dealer's is trying to unload some of these SA lowers. Keeps bragging about the adjustment screw for the trigger and that I can get consecutive serial numbers if I want. But he wants $129 plus tax for them. I was thinking of picking up a couple if I knew what to look for, and if he would come down closer to say the $90 price I have seen them for at other places.

IM sent.

Let me know if it doesn't come through.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 2:34:33 AM EST
The lowers arrived at Superior on Wednesday; I can't wait for the replacements to get here!

Here are some photos of the uppers I have for the replacement lowers when they arrive:

6.8SPC:

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––­––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-

7.62x39:

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––­––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-

The 6.8SPC was purchased used from a guy who had problems with it...the upper receiver was slightly pinched and the BCG fit was tight. I managed to slightly massage it back to its "normal" shape and get the BCG to freely cycle inside it. The barrel extension wasn't matched for the feed ramps on the upper receiver, so out came the polishing stones and I slightly modified the feed ramps on the barrel extension; I then polished out the feed ramps and made sure everything matched up between barrel extension & receiver. It originally had a FSB, which I removed to install the YHM low-profile gas block and YHM free-float lightweight tube...I really like YHM products, they are easy to work with and so far have given me excellent customer service. The new gas block was properly indexed/shouldered to 1/32" and a new gas tube installed. The ejection port door was really loose & floppy (wouldn't lock shut), so that was replaced as well.

I used my last good SA lower receiver to build into a full-stock A2 lower setup, with Wolff spring and standard rifle buffer. It shot GREAT! I had a few minor malfunctions when shooting "Frangible" brand ammo, but when shooting Hornady, it was FLAWLESS!

The 7.62 upper is a DPMS that I bought new before the buying panic. It also had similar feeding problems, so I polished the barrel extension feed ramps and this fixed the problems. It shoots beautifully now. I also removed the FSB on this one too, and installed a YHM low-profile gas block & YHM free-float tube to match the 6.8 setup. I like it!

The sights are pure crap though...I went cheap and bought Chinese knock-offs for both, and they both SUCK ASS. Don't skimp on sights; buy name-brands!!! I have since ordered some Midwest & Troy BUIS for these, as it would be a shame to leave the worthless sights on these after so much work.

After everything was assembled & trouble-shot, I applied Matte Black DuraCoat to both uppers & the lower shown, so everything matches & there are no more unsightly shiny metal parts showing through (the gas blocks were shorter than the original FSBs, so the shiny band from the forward portion of the FSBs showed through...bugged the hell out of me).

I can't wait to get the replacement lowers back from Superior Arms, so I can assemble one more lower for my dedicated 6.8 & 7.62 platforms. They shoot GREAT, so now I have some options in between my standard 5.56 AR15s and my .308 AR10.

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 5:13:31 PM EST

WOO-HOO!! The lowers are back from Superior Arms already!!! And they had just arrived there in Iowa last Wednesday, and now the 3 replacements were delivered today.

Well, supposed to be delivered today that is...they need a signature & nobody was home. So I had to reschedule delivery.

But WOW, can you believe that they shipped out replacement receivers the same day they received my defective ones???? It doesn't get any better than this!!! I can't wait to get them in my hands!!!

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 5:35:08 PM EST
Mine have tight mag wells and some pmags will not drop free other than that no problems and I like to support the local guys. Its not far from where I live my boy even has a ball game in Wapallo tuesday so I will be driving right by the place.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 6:42:49 PM EST
I picked one up of the ones I was referring to earlier. It is a 18xxx series serial number, the finish looks a little bit splotchy on it but that may clear up with a good cleaning and light lube. I didn't assemble the parts kit into it, but I did dry fit everything and it all seems to be OK. The magwell is fine with USGI mags, not sure about any others as I don't follow the tacticool circles so I don't have anything other than USGI. I also checked it on my Beowulf upper and that seems fine also, save for the tiniest little bit of rocking, but you can't feel it with the pins installed. I did notice the trigger opening is machined off center, but is also oversized a little bit, so since the opening is larger than the trigger, it doesn't make a difference. The trigger parts still fit in the trigger well just right.

I wasn't able to get him near the $90 AIM price, but he did come down to $119. I may go back and get the other three. I haven't decided yet. I thought he told me he had twenty something, but I guess I misunderstood him. He only had four when I went in there today, one was in the display case.

Oh yeah, the rollmarks are fairly sharp and consistent also. I have seen pictures of others where they kind of fade off on one side. But all the ones he had looked just right.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:11:17 PM EST

I got the 3 replacement lowers today; they were originally scheduled to be delivered last Monday, but I was unable to sign for them until today.

AWESOME, just awesome customer/warranty service!! Got 3 new replacement lowers (different serial numbers), and they were shipped to me the SAME DAY my 3 defective lowers arrived at SA! Doesn't get any better than that!

I wouldn't hesitate to buy more, should I need any more lowers. Love them!!

PMags fit just fine in them for me too....
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:15:09 PM EST
Not to poop on your party. But isn't it illegal for them to send you new lowers without going through an FFL?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:54:04 AM EST
It's legal for warranty work. You can sen yours to a manufacturer and they can send them back...so long as they don't throw in an extra one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:59:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/13/2009 9:59:32 AM EST by monkey302]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:08:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/13/2009 10:11:14 AM EST by H53EXPERT]
Originally Posted By monkey302:
It's legal for warranty work. You can sen yours to a manufacturer and they can send them back...so long as they don't throw in an extra one.

Isn't that only if the serial numbers remain the same?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:02:44 AM EST

According to my FFL, NOPE...it's covered under warranty. All I need to do is keep the warranty paperwork handy in case ATF wants to come & inspect...

Top Top