Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/8/2005 7:14:22 PM EDT
I recently ordered a Super Sniper 10x42 (rear parallax adjust model) from SWFA. I read a great review in Shotgun News and have heard other good things elsewhere. It arrived today, and I started doing my usual inspection to make sure everything was okay. I unscrewed the right turret cover and removed it, and 3 pieces of broken O-ring fell out. Everything else checked out okay, but needless to say I'm very disappointed and returning it ASAP. Has anybody else had a similar experience? Anybody had problems with their Super Sniper scopes? Should I get my money back and forget about it, or try it again? Any advice and input would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:10:19 PM EDT
Or you could just get a replacement O-ring at any hardware store.

They go on over the shafts and the factory o-rings, at least on the older scopes, are often replaced by users looking to change the feel of the click adjustments to make them less mushy, if removing any excess grease doesn't do the trick.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:21:07 PM EDT
It's an oring... you're acting as if the thing came with a canted reticle and broken glass.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:28:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 10:30:29 PM EDT by Green0]
Yeah that sounds a little extreme.

As far as experience, I had one and it worked great,-- I think they are better than a Leupold MKIV MI tactical, but I preffer the MKIV MRT series scopes with M3 style knobs.

It's got 120MOA of internal ajustment, the ajustments track and it costs $300. What's not to like?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:20:33 AM EDT
hardware store and at most $1

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:11:47 AM EDT
Well, I know it sounds like a really knee-jerk reaction (and probably is) - I just had such a bad feeling after seeing that and wondering to myself if it was a sign of other bad things to come, as I have no experience with these scopes. However, if most people out there would be comfortable replacing the O-ring and calling it good, then hell, I probably will too. That's just the kind of input I was looking for, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:31:04 AM EDT
If you bought it new, I can understand being a little freaked out about that...it doesn't really inspire confidence.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:20:59 AM EDT
I have one, no problems, shoots great, holds zero. I am shooting .2 inch groups at 100 yards so it cant be moving. Its a great scope for the money, ppl at the range always ask about it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:44:01 AM EDT
I don't mean to be a party pooper, but maybe I misunderstood what you said. My two Super-Snipers don't have turret covers. The target type turret knobs are exposed and there is no threaded provision for covers. Or did you mean that you removed the set screws holding the turrets on and removed them?

In any event, if you were referring to the o-rings under the turrets, I had one that did not appear to have enough lube on it that would not allow the turret to slide over it during adjustment. Instead it would stick to the inside of the turret and sort of deform, causing a lack of movement. I do not know whether the lack of lube was from the factory, or could have been as a result of lube dissipating and running away in the heat of shipping or storage. If this was your problem, the o-ring may have stuck and ripped as it tried to make its way around inside the turret.

regards,
Dan
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:01:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CBON15:
I don't mean to be a party pooper, but maybe I misunderstood what you said. My two Super-Snipers don't have turret covers. The target type turret knobs are exposed and there is no threaded provision for covers. Or did you mean that you removed the set screws holding the turrets on and removed them?

In any event, if you were referring to the o-rings under the turrets, I had one that did not appear to have enough lube on it that would not allow the turret to slide over it during adjustment. Instead it would stick to the inside of the turret and sort of deform, causing a lack of movement. I do not know whether the lack of lube was from the factory, or could have been as a result of lube dissipating and running away in the heat of shipping or storage. If this was your problem, the o-ring may have stuck and ripped as it tried to make its way around inside the turret.

regards,
Dan

re-read the thread and realized what was said and CBON15 is right theres no covers just turrets themselves
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:33:36 PM EDT
Yeah, that was a misnomer on my part, it was the turret. I would have to agree with CBON15's prognosis that the O-ring got shredded somehow while turning the turret, however there appeared to be enough grease in there. I'll buy a few different sized O-rings and see what works best. Thanks.
Top Top