Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2004 3:06:25 PM EDT
Has anybody tried using Suomi 9mm stick mags with the Colt system?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Anybody...   Tapco has Suomi mags on sale for $5.99 each.  I'm thinking that this is another alternative to the expensive Colt mags just like the Uzi.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought the Suomi's are single stack.

Maybe not.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#4]
there to wide in back to fit the magwell. They have more of a wedge shape than Uzi/Colt mags. A little file work would probably fix it as it's a close fit. Those new Cav Arms recievers Armalite shows on their web site would be a solution. They have a redesigned magwell that'll take grease gun mags. You'd have to mill up a mag block.

there double stack double feed like UZI mags. Someone should be doin Suomi drums with feed towers welded on by now. Won't do me any good in Ohio though were stuck at 31 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:34:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the replies.  I was able to score 10 of these mags for $25.  I thought this would be a good  project.  I already have a spare 2 piece mag block that I can modify.  Now, all I need is one of those new Cav Arms receivers.  I already have the regular Colt and Uzi mags to use with the regular mag block and  the Sten mags with a modified 2 piece mag block along with the dedicated lowers.  This addiction will never end.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:27:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Booker,
    I did the suomi mags a long time ago and they do work -- they kinda fit the sten magblock with the only problem being the raised tabs on the front and back.  The suomi's are thinner than the inside of the AR magwell. All that was needed on my sten conversion was to cut a thin groove in the front and rear blocks to match the raised ridge on the front and back of the magazine. The top rear of the mag must be notched out or it will operate the bolt hold open leaver. Also, if I remember correctly, the right side lip of the magazine just catches on the bolt as the bolt tries to close. I adjusted the mag lip just a "C" hair and it worked -- but it might be better for you to experiment with one of the mags. Also they are not all the same size front to back so find the size that fits your magblock the best ( if you have a sten magblock) and try to adjust the others to match by giving the larger one's a little squeeze in a vice.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:09:11 AM EDT
[#7]
AR-fan,

Thanks for the tip.  It's good to know I can use my 2 pc Sten mag block.  I'll probably start on this project next weekend.  I'll post some pics when I finish.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top