Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2006 8:00:06 AM EDT
My good friend is in the MI Army Natl Guard and is currently in Ft. Dix getting ready for deployment to the sandbox.  Initially, he was told that they couldn't do anything to modify their M4's, but now they are being given the go-ahead.

I'd like to tap the knowledge of this board a bit.  I have built up lots of LE carbines, and since he's an MP, the mission is similar.  I am stuck in my ways in a lot of areas such as free floating and triggers, but would like to get him a good solid setup for Iraq; something he can install himself without tools.  I'd like to keep it around $200-$300 for the total package and then outfit him and his buddies the same way.

Here's what I'm rattling around:

1.  Railed Handguard.  MI, YHM, something similar that would just replace the plastic without tools.  I have installed lots of ff handguards for folks around here, but never looked into just the rail replacements.  Whats the best for the money that will be durable enough for combat?

2.  Light system.  For those on a budget, I've always installed the SF G2 Nitrolon in a mount with a tape switch.  I have a Scout light on my M4, but that's too pricey for him.  What else is out there that would fit the bill.

3.  Trijicon front post mandatory.

4.  Vertical grip mandatory.

5.  Optics.  If they have the money, I'm going to recommend a compact ACOG in the 1.5 or 2x range.  Small, simple and hard as nails.

6.  If he has optics, he's going to need a BUIS.  Troy, ARMS?

Thanks in advance

Link Posted: 8/16/2006 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Surefire rails, blackhawk falcata with pushbutton, some typeof vert grip. and Eotech. All said about 500 thats the cheapest... Talk to Joe at SKD for some Ideas.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I will donate some Tango Down grips - lightly used - if it helps the troops.

G
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#5]
What is he going there to do. Really, unless your gonna be kicking in doors every day, most of that list is overkill.  I've been over a few times, and i pimped a stock m-4, mabe a paq-4, no sense in getting crazy.  But thats just my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#6]
If your friend is assigned an M4, more than likely, he should receive some items for his weapon under the Rapid Fielding Initiative. If the M4 RAS is on the unit Modified Table of Organization and Equipment, the soldier should receive a complete rail cover kit with vertical foregrip. The weapon items in the RFI usually is one optic (either ACOG or M68 CCO ), a surefire light system, a BUIS and a modified sling to name a couple of items. However, not all units seem to be getting weapon RFI items. RFI is usually done at the mobilization station. My unit didn't receive RFI items until the end of our deployment in June of 2004 but the RFI was just starting then and the supply chain was struggling to provide everything. We received the clothing and PPE portion but not any of the weapon RFI items. The soldiers unit mission/MOS density will dictate alot about their RFI allotment as well.

So, before your friend spends a lot of money, have him ask his Supply NCO if they will be receiving RFI items for the deployment. It may save him a lot of money.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#8]
The Fort Dix deploying combat arms guys will be issued RAS rail systems, so you don't need to worry about that.  I believe they are getting Surefires.  You should wait a while during his train up to see what he ultimately gets, because he will be issued a lot of equipment during his time at Dix.

Who exactly is he with?  One of my former squadmates is a Guardsman at Dix right now getting ready for deployment.

Again, wait and see before you buy things.  He WILL be given an optic if he is going outside the wire, and frankly, an issued Aimpoint is the best thing for his mission.

RFI will give him the things he needs.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Check out the thread in the Build It Yourself forum for making your own tac sling.  You can literally make 10 for $52 or 20 for $97 or just one for about $10 SHIPPED from strapworks.com.  It also lends itself to some personalization on your part and knowledge that something you made in about 5 minutes while watching TV is helping your friend keep his weapon up and in play in the most miserable place on Earth.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 7:10:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies!  I've had a busy week and this is the first chance I've had to get back to this forum.

He's with the 144th MP Co (HVY).  He says that they keep telling them different things about their role once they get over there.  I told him not to bet on anything until he's actually doing it.

He said that they've already been through RFI and all they got was some cold weather gear.  Not sure if they are getting anything else once they hit Kuwait or not.  They are ultimately going to be stationed around Mosul.

He says the worst thing right now is that Ft. Dix is overrun with woodchucks and he can't kill any of them.  That's my idea of hell on earth right there.

Link Posted: 8/20/2006 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#11]
1.  Railed Handguard.  MI, YHM, something similar that would just replace the plastic without tools.  I have installed lots of ff handguards for folks around here, but never looked into just the rail replacements.  Whats the best for the money that will be durable enough for combat?

Most likely he'll get the KAC rails.  Wait and see.

2.  Light system.  For those on a budget, I've always installed the SF G2 Nitrolon in a mount with a tape switch.  I have a Scout light on my M4, but that's too pricey for him.  What else is out there that would fit the bill.

Good chance he can get a SureFire issued.  Can't remember the model number, the 6volt Milennium weapon light.

3.  Trijicon front post mandatory.

This might be over the line with it comes to weapons mods as it would require an armorer to do the install (or he'd risk getting into a lot of trouble if caught doing it himself.)  Also if he's not using an ACOG or M68, it makes it harder to zero I believe since it's only luminous on the one side.

4.  Vertical grip mandatory.
KAC comes with the rails.  In the box are the rails, the rail covers, and the vertical grip.  

5.  Optics.  If they have the money, I'm going to recommend a compact ACOG in the 1.5 or 2x range.  Small, simple and hard as nails.

6.  If he has optics, he's going to need a BUIS.  Troy, ARMS?  

Matec are the issued BIS.  If they issue optics, and many units are getting the M68, there is a good chance they are also issuing the BIS.

Wait and see what he's getting issued first.  There is no point in wasting money buying a duplicate part that he is already getting issued.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:17:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies!  I've had a busy week and this is the first chance I've had to get back to this forum.

He's with the 144th MP Co (HVY).  He says that they keep telling them different things about their role once they get over there.  I told him not to bet on anything until he's actually doing it.

He said that they've already been through RFI and all they got was some cold weather gear.  Not sure if they are getting anything else once they hit Kuwait or not.  They are ultimately going to be stationed around Mosul.

He says the worst thing right now is that Ft. Dix is overrun with woodchucks and he can't kill any of them.  That's my idea of hell on earth right there.

Tell him to superglue a BB on the end of a blank.  That was the racoon problem solver at Ft Hood.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I just got back from Iraq and here is how I modded my M$, I was in a scout platoon and we did alot of Raids and patrols.

1.) Vltor Stock.....great stock way cheaper than the LMT, Surefire will need back up Batts.

2.) A good Sling....he is going to get theat crap mamba sling. Look into Blue Force Gear.

3.)a MAID grip from Magpul and some of there enhanced followers. I never ad a mag jam.

4.) He should get a Aimpoint CCO but ACOGS are really nice if he likes EO Tech have him look into one of those.

5.) Boresnakes.....!!!!!!!! and good lube

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top