Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/23/2003 2:22:28 PM EDT
Greetings all,
I'd like to get some suggestions for a good bench rest setup for AR's as well as with bolt action rifles. I've seen several types from a fore-end / butt-end "all in one" to fore-end rests to be used with a sandbag under the butt. I suppose adjust-ability and strength is more important than a simple or light design. I plan on using the Bushy ten round magazines for sight in so there should be no problem with traditional rifle heights. What's your suggestions.....

Thanks in advance,
genius91

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the benchrest at the range I go to. Its a "fore-end" rest. It works good with 20 round mags but the 30 round mags are touching the table making it very hard to shoot.

[the 20 round mags are exactly the same size as Bushmasters 10 rounders so thats what I use.]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a Wichita front rest adn rear sandbag.  Adjustable for just about any rifle or shotgun if you are into punishing your shoulder [;)]

Brownell's sell them, as well as a couple of others.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out www.dog-gone-good.com  They have some neat custom sandbag setups.  I own one, and can recommend it wholeheartedly.
Mike, NY
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Sinclair...it took me a long time before I coughed up the money to get it...it's expensive, but it's one thing I use EVERY time I go to the range, so I finally justified the expense.  

The whole shebang, including the windage adjustable top, was around $330.  It's truly a precision piece, adjustments are smooth as silk, and the rest itself is heavy enough to stay put no matter what.  

Ransom, Wichita, Hart, and Sinclair are found at a lot of bench rest matches, and would be considered moderately priced, compared to the likes of Farley.  

The tops are generally interchangeable from manufacturer to manufacturer...the sinclair top I have will work on Hart and Witchata rests for example.  

These rests are designed to be used with the rear bag of your choice.  This setup gives you much more flexibility that a one piece rest that you set the rifle down into.  

If you get into the high dollar stocks, like McMillan, they're designed to be used in the Sinclair type rests.  

Even though I shuddered when I ordered this puppy because of the cost, I'm very happy I did...it does make a big difference in trips to the range.  

check it out here: [url]http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=RIBBRICO&item=04-2725&type=store[/url]
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys!

I looked at the Wichita (at Midway) and the Sinclair from the link provided.... These look similar to the ones I've seen at use at the range except the ones at the range are all orange and do not have as many adjustments.... I don't know if I can afford the Sinclair at this time but it does look to be the interesting option.... The Wichita looks solid and might be the way I go.... I am not much for the "bag" type rests, but they do work well in field......

As for the range supplied rests.... I shoot mainly at Trail Glades (for those of you down here).... Plywood and 1x4's don't give one much confidence in the results at 100 yds....LOL!

thanks again,
genius91
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top