Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2013 6:38:31 AM EDT
I currently have iron sights and a red dot that are co-witnessed.  But I don't like the red dot or iron sights for 100yd+ shots - the retical and the front sight post basically cover the whole target at 100yds...kinda hard to be accurate.  However, at 50yds (and closer) I can get a grouping the size of silver dollar with iron sights.  So my dilemma is that I want to reserve the use of iron sights for CQC but use a scope for shots further out than 75yds or so, and I don't want a lot of hassle switching between the two.  Oh, and the front sight is fixed.

I'm wanting to get a 2-6x or maybe a 3-9x scope.  I've seen the "risers" out there that are available, but I'm leery to using one as I would imagine that with the optic lifted so much higher and not being close to the axis of the barrel that compensating for bullet drop at various distances might be a pain.  I've also seen the quick disconnect platforms, and while that might be a little hassle having to carry a scope detached from the rifle and trying not to let it get too beat up, I think this might be the best option of the two right now.

What I'm curious about is if anyone has any recommendations or can you give me your opinions of the two options that I mentioned above.  Also, if you happen to use a quick disconnect for your optic, how well does it stayed zeroed when you remove it?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#1]
An RDS is infinitely superior to iron sights for aimed fire during CQC.

Don't worry about the fixed front sight - if you're aiming properly (focusing on the target, not the reticule) the FSB will "disappear," there will be a faint smudge in the bottom of the scope if you look for it, but in general, it will not affect a proper sight picture.  

Risers generally suck, and are usually unnecessary.

If you buy a good, high quality RTZ (return to zero) mount like a LaRue or ADM, you will have no problems with return to zero from attaching and detaching the optic.  This is not a cheap man's game, however, and be willing to budget at least $150-$200 on the mount alone for a good RTZ mount.

Buy quality.  Cheap out at your own peril and infinite frustration.

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I'm definitely not a big fan of the current red dot that I have as it's not magnifying.  This is my first AR build.  I come from a long history of hunting and am very familiar with high powered scopes, but not so much with the lower powered scopes.  What would you suggest for a nice mix of close range and long range?  A 1-4x or something like that?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top