Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2005 9:51:45 AM EDT
I am new to guns and unfortunately live in the wonderful anti-gun state of NJ.  I will be ordering a Glock 19 next month for my handgun needs, and would like to purchase an AR-15 type of gun for my rifle needs.  We still have an assault weapon ban in NJ, so I am very limited as to what I can purchase.  

From what I have been told (which may not be incorrect), I can purchase an AR-15 type gun, but it cannot say "AR-15" on the gun.  A local gun shop has a Bushmaster XM-15 for sale and they claim it is legal because it is a XM-15 and not an AR-15.   My needs are simple, some target shooting and home defense.  After looking on the Bushmaster website, I am very confused as to what model I should purchase.  They had about 30 guns and they all looked the same to me.  Which model should I get?  Again, all I need is a simple setup and I do not want to break the bank.  Remember in NJ we cannot have removeable or foldable stocks, muzzle flash devices, clips over 15 rounds, etc.  

What are thoughts on getting a used AR-15 type of gun compared to a new model?  The local gun store had a Bushmaster XM-15 ES2 V which they claimed only fired 20 rounds and wanted $850 (about $400 less than retail).   Is it worth saving $400 and buying a used gun for someone who will probably shoot less than 500 rounds a year, or is it worth buying a new gun.

Finally, what are the differences between an AR-15, M4, M16, etc.  I have yet to find a page explaining these differences and I did try the search function.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Up until 2 yrs ago I lived in Jersey so I know how it feels to be there.  You can own an AR, I'n not 100% sure about if it says AR15 you can't own it but that might be true.  AR's are legal in NJ, I bought my Bushmaster M4 there.  I paid $900 for it new.  $850 is not a bad price for a used one but it's not a great price either.  You should be able to get a new one for $850.  

Some differences between the AR, M4, M16 is the AR is a semi only version of the M16 as where the 16 is either 3rd burst or ful auto.  The M4 is a carbine with a collapsible stock and a 14.5 inch barrel or a 16 inch one.  There is a little more to it than that but those are the basics.

Good luck and Welcome to the site!

ETA:  you might get better answers if you go into the NJ hometown forum.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#2]
What are the advantages and disadvantages as to a 14.5", 16" and 20" barrel?  What do you guys recommend.  Seems like the 16" is a nice size.  

Ken
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What are the advantages and disadvantages as to a 14.5", 16" and 20" barrel?  What do you guys recommend.  Seems like the 16" is a nice size.  

Ken

Longer barrels give you more velocity.  Velocity is key to wounding with a 5.56mm bullet.  Your maximum effective range is greater with a longer barrel.  However, longer barrels are heavier.  14.5" is great if you want to "duplicate" a military M4 or create what we call a M4gery.  16" is good if you don't want to permanently attach a muzzle device.  I free-floated my 16" barrel and had to remove the muzzle device to do it.  It wouldn't work so good if it was permanently attached.  20" barrel is great for new shooters as there's a longer sight radius (the distance between the front and rear sights) and it makes it easier to be accurate (I think).  Hope this has helped you out a little.  By the way, I've got one of each length: 20" match rifle, 16" general purpose carbine, and a 14.5" that I haven't finished building yet.  MJD
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#4]
kdross - You can purchase AR type rifles in NJ with the following exceptions:
 a) the model name can not be "AR-15"  (hence Bushmaster is XM-15)
 b) No Flash Suppressor
 c) No Collapsible stock
 d) No Bayonet Lug
 e) No mags over 15 rounds

So you can essentially get any "post-ban" compliant AR type rifle with obvious exceptions that the overall barrel length must meet the Federal minimum of 16" including any permanently attached muzzle device (no threaded barrels in NJ).

This means you still have a huge amount of options to play with, unlike Kalifornia.

As for which of the many possible configurations is best for your purposes and budget, that is up to you.

Why not go to the ARFCOM shoot @ Fort Dix on 9/24 and see a ton of NJ compliant AR rifles?

Check the Hometown thread sticky for NY&NJ for details.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#5]
A uhaul.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
kdross - You can purchase AR type rifles in NJ with the following exceptions:
 a) the model name can not be "AR-15"  (hence Bushmaster is XM-15)
 b) No Flash Suppressor
 c) No Collapsible stock
 d) No Bayonet Lug
 e) No mags over 15 rounds

So you can essentially get any "post-ban" compliant AR type rifle with obvious exceptions that the overall barrel length must meet the Federal minimum of 16" including any permanently attached muzzle device (no threaded barrels in NJ).

This means you still have a huge amount of options to play with, unlike Kalifornia.

As for which of the many possible configurations is best for your purposes and budget, that is up to you.

Why not go to the ARFCOM shoot @ Fort Dix on 9/24 and see a ton of NJ compliant AR rifles?

Check the Hometown thread sticky for NY&NJ for details.

How the heck does that work?  Mag block?  MJD  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#7]

These are NOT subject to mag capacity restrictions.  

In all seriousness though, I'm sure folks on the board will have good answers - I'm not very familiar with NJ laws and probably shouldn't "cast rubber bands" seeing as how I'm in Illinois....  

good luck,
Mike
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#8]

A uhaul.

+1

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Highwayman, yes we can own a 30 round mag, it has to be blocked to hold no more than 30 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Highwayman - 15 round AR magazines are getting commonplace in NJ due to the 15 round magazine capacity restriction for all semiautomatic magazines.

This law has been in effect for a very long time.

So, one can take a 10 round Bushmaster mag and chop the follower to make it into a 15 round magazine.

Some gunshops will do this for you (Brick Armory) (Arms and Ammo).

15 is almost always better than 10.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#11]
This may be heresy, but If I had to be stuck in New Jersey, I'd stick to my Garands. Tony Giacobbe is there in NJ and does beautiful work, he did one for me after my first Iraq tour on a '42 Winchester receiver. I would rarely see firing more than a few shots in a civilian rifle fight anyway, and unlike some barrel/bullet combinations of the AR family, what you hit with a Garand STAYS shot. If you can't do it with 150 grains at 2700 FPS, just get a .50 cal and get it over with.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Former inmate of PRNJ here...

Have you thought about what a Joisey jury is going to do to you if you blast some underprivileged yute with an 'assault rifle'?

If I lived in NJ again (which is about as likely as my being elected Pope) I would get a Winchester 94 Trapper in .30-30 or .45 Colt, mount an Aimpoint to it, and call it a day.

But do what you want.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#13]
See. the Garand is at least the John Wayne Sands of Iwo Jima Good Guy Rifle you'd carry to go Save Private Ryan. The jury's grandpas' all carried them in the family album, that sort of thing. Besides, the CMP will sell you one fairly cheap. Not as cheap as a used Winchester lever gun at the pawn shop, but it's way cheaper than a NJ-legal M4gery and doesn't have that bastardized feel to it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 on moving the hell out. That being said, I'd look at a Springfield Armory M1A. SWEEEET !!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Also an excellent choice, just three times the money. I have three Garands of my own and a Winchester M-14 (plus a M4/203) at work, and wouldn't feel undergunned with either.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree a jury may find the use of an assault weapon a bit extreme, but that is what the Glock is for.  The AR-15 would be for those times when TSHTF.

Ken
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#17]
one for the garnand...
i was at a base one time and an instuctor was showin em how to use a garand. i couldnt
believe how fast this dude re-loaded that rifle.

but anyway, M1A's are awesome, and there are plenty nj legal AR  types to be had.
nj isnt that badd, its not california.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#18]
If I were in your position I'd get a 20 inch with the flash suppressor and bayonet lug removed.  Without the collapsable stock I don't see much point to carbine, you're not gaining that much in handling by chopping four inches off the barrel.    

Here's something from Bushmaster that fits the bill, but Colt, RRA, Armalite and others all have similar rifles.

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa3s20.asp

Oh, and welcome to the addiction.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#19]
You could get this years SEBR!

SEBR Forum

Quoted:
Since Striker is AWOL I'll let the cat out of the bag

M4 (Type) carbine
(W/SEBR Logo 1 of 300?)
14.5 (M4 Type) Barrel, chrome lined with
(Izzy Suppressor/Compensator), bayo lug 1/7 twist.
Flat top upper with "T#" rail as per military configuration.
(Less A3 Handle)
6 position collapsible stock.

NY,NJ,MA,CT,Puerto Rico (Banned States) version will have permanent (Izzy Muzzle Brake) and pinned stock with no bayo lug.

Price $745.00 + $16.50 S&H per = $761.50 and any other related fees **

The rifles will be shipped in the lockable Bushmaster case with 1 30rd mag, sling & manual(banned states will get a 10rd)

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top