Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/27/2013 5:40:59 AM EDT
Hey guys this will be my first post ever on the forum. (I literally made an account today so I could ask this question)
So I'm looking at buying my first AR-15 and I am extremely torn between 3 rifles. The KAC SR-15E3 Carbine, LWRC M6A2 SPR and the Noveske LIGHT RECCE, SWITCHBLOCK.
https://www.lwrci.com/p-250-m6a2-spr.aspx
http://www.knightarmco.com/portfolio/sr15e3-iws-carbine-mod1/?cate_cm=commercial&term=sr-15&features=sr15e3-iws-carbine-mod1
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lrlp-556-sb&cat=138&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=
So basically what I wanna know is which of the 3 rifles would guys say is the best and what are the pros and cons of each one.
Also I have heard some bad things about all 3 of these rifles not sure if this is true but I read things like. The KAC SR_15 is picky on what kind of ammo you feed it and the Noveske has quality control issues.
Also please don't bring other guns into this topic like (BCM OR LMT, DD ect.) I don't have anything against those brands it's just I'm only looking at these 3 rifles only.
Also if you're wondering why I'm looking at AR-15s this expensive for my first time. It's because I only wanna buy one 5.56 AR-15 and be done with it. I don't want a collection of AR-15s right now unless I'm buying a different caliber AR.
Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:51:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Those are all fine choices from quality brands.

I've never heard anything about Noveske having quality control issues. If anything, they have whatever the opposite of that is.

KAC do tend to be picky with ammo. Personally, I won't own any AR-15 that doesn't shoot Wolf/similar crappy Russian ammo. You need to decide whether or not that's important to you.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#2]
doesn't matter, pick one and put it in the safe.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:54:05 AM EDT
[#3]
They are all great rifles.  The big choice is if you want a piston.  The LWRC is a piston while the other guns are direct impingement.   The LWRC and Noveske are all precision oriented guns while the KA is more of a "battle" rifle.  My choice would be the KA, but is all about what you want to do with the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:57:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Those are some fine rifles..

The KAC SR-15 is the best "out  of the box" gun on the market. Just add optics and you"ll never have to modify again. And its probably one of the smoothest guns as well (add great balance to that list). Dont really know of any Cons.

I've never had any issues with noveske. It would probably be the most accurate of the three. plus, it's a noveske, and that's just cool.

LWRC is also a great gun, I was looking at one for a while but eventually decided against the piston setup. It may be difficult to find parts for piston guns at the moment. And they wont always be compatible with standard DI AR-15 parts.

I'd go with the KAC if I were you..

Good luck on just doing one rifle, we expect to see you back in <1yr. asking about how to build your own.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah forget the KAC then, I don't wanna be limited on what kind of ammo I can shoot. So between the M6A2 spr and the Noveske, I saw the LWRC has a fluted barrel what are the advantages of that vs the Noveske chrome lined?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Just get the Noveske. Forget about piston ARs if you plan on doing any mods in the future. You'll find a wider range of options sticking with a DI gas system. Go with the Noveske for your first AR.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Personally I would go with the piston if this is intended to be your SHTF gun should such an occasion occur.  The other posters have a great point that parts / upgrades will be tougher to come by but to me that is a small trade for the piston reliability in a bad situation where you may not be able to clean as much.  

If you are only going to use for going to the range once in a while, then DI is probably the better choice if you want to mod it later.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Noveske, since it's much more industry standard than the other two. But I think you should also look at BCDD (BCM, Colt,  Daniel Defense).
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks allot for the suggestions guys!!! I will definitely go with a piston AR then. But disregard what I said about not reccomending any other brands, so if I was gonna spend $2500 on a piston AR what else should I consider other then Noveske and LWRC?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks allot for the suggestions guys!!! I will definitely go with a piston AR then. But disregard what I said about not reccomending any other brands, so if I was gonna spend $2500 on a piston AR what else should I consider other then Noveske and LWRC?
View Quote

As far as I know, Noveske doesn't make a piston AR... So I wouldn't recomend it if you're looking for that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Really???? Wow I feel stupid I probably will go with the LWRC then unless there's something better.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I prefer KAC over the ones you mentioned, but im a direct-gas fan.  BTW, my KAC's run WPA mil classic, just not the really shitty stuff.

If you're hell bent on a piston, theres only once choice.  If you dont care about operating system, I'd pick KAC, then Noveske then LWRC.

All 3 will serve you well, period.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Really???? Wow I feel stupid I probably will go with the LWRC then unless there's something better.
View Quote
I wouldn't go piston, personally.

It addresses a non-issue.

DI rifles work very well. Noveske makes some of the best. If they are an option, they are an answer, IMO.

Friends don't let friends buy pistons.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want a piston, I would say either the LWRC or LMT MRP piston (excellent rifle... i know you said no LMT but your choice of wanting a piston AR eliminated 2 of the choices).

Neither Noveske nor KAC make a piston rifle.

In order, I prefer
Noveske
KAC
LWRC

I don't know where you got the idea that Noveske has quality control issues.  It IS quite the opposite... Noveske finishes their own barrels and they do a very good job (that is one reason they are so highly regarded) but they don't make a lot of their parts.  The suppliers of their parts are nothing special... what is special is Noveske's QA.

I have owned all three.  The LWRC was a 6.8 tho.  Great rifle... a little heavy for an 8".  KAC could easily have taken the top spot if it weren't for the proprietary parts... the difficulty in removing the URX rail... and the overgassing issue with their 11.5".  The standard SR15 with their proprietary mid-lenght gas system is about as smooth as it gets.  I am going to extraordinary lengths to see if I can get a comparable recoil impulse in the 10.5" Noveske I am building right now... probably won't get there but hopefully it will be close.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#15]
First off I never said I thought Noveske has QC issues. I'm just saying I heard that and wasn't sure if its true. Also just wondering how come so many people don't like the gas piston rifles? Beacause they seem great from what I hear. They run cleaner I hear there more reliable. Also some of the best Assault rifles in the world are piston driven (FN SCAR HK 416 Ect.) I'm open to new suggestions I just wanna know at this point. Can I go wrong with an LWRC?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They are all great rifles.  The big choice is if you want a piston.  The LWRC is a piston while the other guns are direct impingement.   The LWRC and Noveske are all precision oriented guns while the KA is more of a "battle" rifle.  My choice would be the KA, but is all about what you want to do with the rifle.
View Quote

Agreed.  Personally, I would avoid piston ARs.  They (might) require more maintenance, and spare parts are not as abundant as they are for standard AR15s.  Cheaper too.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#17]
If you decide to go with a piston system, just remember that when it comes time that you decide to upgrade your forend that you're limited.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#18]
LMT CQB seems to be a great rifle for me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top