Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2006 8:00:31 PM EDT
First off, let me say this is only my 3rd AR15, and my first build.

I got the stripped lower from Lonestar and the "kit" from J&T. All told, just a bit over $600.
(not including optics and my home made sling, as those are recycled pieces)

I wasn't trying to time myself, but, I got the lower put together in about 2 hours.
(had to wait till after the kids got done trick-or-treating to tackle the build)

I managed to launch the detents for the front takedown across the room 3 times.
[TIP: use a powerful flashlight at carpet level to see where shiny stuff is lying]

I have a cheapo set of Lyman punchest that I have used for SEVERAL gun buildup projects. For $11 or so, they are well worth it.

Adjusting the telescoping stock and getting the buffer set was fairly tricky.

Now, my new CAR-15 just needs a good clean up and lube and it will be ready for some quality breaking in at the range this weekend.

A personal thankyou to all those folks who have contributed info to this board/forum.

Regards,

-Norseman1
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

What do you mean?

By the way - congrats!    This thread needs PICTURES.  We love to see new builds (or old ones, even).

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely need pics.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#3]
congrats!

tag for pics and range report!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:35:10 AM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

What do you mean?

By the way - congrats!  his

I had a devil of a time getting the recoil tube/stock screwed in that would catch the recoil buffer catch while it was compressed AND keep the spring with the detent for the rear frame pin all together.

I am sure there are faster/better ways to do it.

Best thing about  the buildup? ZERO scratches on the new doublestar reciever finish. (use used some blue painters tape where I was having to pound in the roll pins)

I'll post pics once I get my camera out. (and find a place to upload them)
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'll post pics once I get my camera out. (and find a place to upload them)

Imageshack

Oh, be sure to go post a pic in the J&T/Doublestar area too.  They love to see their stuff in use.  Jesse kicks ass - he actually ANSWERS questions, unlike most of the other manufacturers in the industry section.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top