Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2007 6:15:40 PM EDT
I've seen mention of people having X-brand BCG in Y-brand upper, but I'm gonna ask this anyway.

My AR has a CMMG complete upper.  If I were to buy an LMT bolt carrier group as a spare, would there be any problems?  I think I read in an army field manual that if you put a BCG from a different rifle into yours, it would blow up and you would die...or something along those lines.

So that's it.  Could I put an LMT BCG into my CMMG upper without blowing up and dying?

Thanks,

Shoes
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Assuming neither part is defective, its fine.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Most people never check the head space on their AR builds, so I don't think that it would be a problem to toss a new bolt carrier in.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The bigger problem would be reliability over excessive pressures.  If you use the same bolt in each bolt carrier, while different (slightly) it wouldn't be a problem.

The myth of blowing up a rifle from switching out a BCG, would be for like NRA Hi-Power guys who load VLD bullets long and to the lands.  You won't be doing this as if you were, you'd know and wouldn't be asking this question.

So, do it with a smile.

Rich
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Extra bolt carriers grow into full black rifles, did you not know that?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
there are no stupid questions, unless your username was zack3g.

do you have to post stupid crap about me in every thread? i don't know you. What the hell is your problem?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#7]

j/p geez capt. crunch
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

j/p geez capt. crunch

no, this needs to come to a stop. i'm posting a thread in the pit about it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Extra bolt carriers grow into full black rifles, did you not know that?

True statement.

I had a spare buffer do that to me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

j/p geez capt. crunch

no, this needs to come to a stop. i'm posting a thread in the pit about it.

rediculous
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#11]
to answer your original question (sorry for the hijack by the way)

No, you won't hurt anything by swapping bolts and carriers around. A precision gun might notice, but for general plinking and blasting, you won't have any problems.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#12]
You wont have any problem with using a BCG from another manufacturer. The only issue comes when you use a BCG in one upper and then use it in another upper. This can cause excessive wear in one ot both parts. I have always heard it was best to keep a BCG with one upper until you replace it with a new one.

That said, I do not have any first hand experience with this because I have never swapped them around that much. So it is possible that what I said is a bunch of crap, but it is something that I have heard many times.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a spare bolt in the grip of my SBR, and I wouldn't hesitate to just swap it in if  the original bolt failed.  I guess if there are tens of thousands of rounds through a barrel/bolt combo, then you might start to worry about headspacing issues, but it's not at the forefront of my mind.

I've sometimes swapped carriers around between relatively new rifles, and other than the issue of slightly different wear patterns, there really is nothing to be concerned about.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top