Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/16/2004 6:57:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 7:06:53 PM EST by NYPatriot]
I'm almost embarrassed to ask this question, but should the bolt carrier come into contact with the hammer when it is cocked?

I just finished building my third AR today & after I got through hand cycling it a few times (with the hammer cocked (i.e. lowered) I noticed a very slight polishing of the top 1/5 of the hammer pad & on the underside of the bolt carrier. The carrier is not binding, and everything else seems ok... its just that I thought the carrier only came into contact with the hammer when it was resetting it on the rearward stroke of the operating cycle.

I never notice this before when my other ARs' were pristine, so I have to ask... is this normal?

Thanks.

NYP
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:35:13 PM EST
Yes. Otherwise what would push it further down to get cocked in the first place?

-z
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:43:21 PM EST
This is your third AR build, and you have to ask? You should be embarrased! ;)
j/k bro, messin' w/ ya. What do I know, I sent both the buffer retainer and take-down pin detent flying tonight, and I know better... haha. boing!

Yes, it will rub. The BC has to push the hammer past the cocked position far enough that the disconnector can hold it if you have the trigger pulled. If you're not holding the trigger, the BC pushes the hammer down, the diconnect misses it, and hammer falls back to be caught by the trigger upon the BC returning home.

hope this helps, happy shooting.
rvb
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:50:42 PM EST
Thanks guys. Like I said... stupid question.

Top Top