Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/7/2005 12:25:50 PM EDT
I recently did some work for a friend. For payment he offered a new CAR upper, lower parts kit / telescope stock... Sounded good and I took it. I was planning on purchasing my first AR in less than a month anyway and this was prefect timing.

He said the he bought the upper about 7 yrs ago and had planned on piecing together an CAR. He never finished it and has 2 others so this was collecting dust. He can't remember what make/caliber it's chambered for. (From what I understand it is obviously either 5.56 or .223... Same rounds but the 5.56 has a higher pressure... Correct?)

I found an assembled new DPMS lower for a good price which is now in the mail to my dealer.

Question uno is: I got the upper from him and there is no markings on it except on the carrying handle on the right side...just before the rear apature. It's an A with the top being a triangle with the two legs of the "A" seperated... Kinda hard to understand maybe but my camera isn't working at the moment.

The second question would be: how can I tell if it's chambered for 5.56 or a .223?
Like I said there are no markings at all on the upper except for the A on the carrying handle. From what I understand it's save to shoot either or out of a upper that's chambered for the hotter 5.56 while it isn't wise to shoot the 5.56 out of an upper that's chambered for the .223... Correct or not?
Is there any way to tell them apart?

Thanks for any help
Magoo
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:02:29 PM EDT
look near the end of the barrel for some markings,

any there?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:09:11 PM EDT
Nope... Nothing except for the A on the handle... Is it the upper or lower that dictates the caliber? To me it only makes sence that the upper is the one since that's where all the pressure is at. The lower is a DPMS A-15 that's marked .223 - 5.56MM
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:34:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/7/2005 1:39:28 PM EDT by DHH]
The A indicates that it was forged by Anchor-Harvey. Any manufacturer could have used the forging.
The chamber dictates the caliber and it is part of the barrel assembly.
Usually, there would be some type of markings or codes on the barrel (but not always).
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:04:00 PM EDT
There may be some writing under the handguards. Are you even sure if it's a 556/223? It could be a multitude of other calibers, and you'll want to know which one before you load it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:07:04 PM EDT
I removed the handgurads last night to check and there wasn't anything. It definately appears to be a .223/5.56... I'd just like to know if I can load it up with surplus 5.56 or if I have to stick with .223.
Top Top