Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 12/23/2003 1:06:35 PM EDT
Hey guys, I have a rock river lower and the selector detent pin is stuck in its hole and has also caused the selector switch to s stuck in the fire position. I removed the grip and the the spring, but the pin will not come out. The only thing I can think to do is to get a drill bit that fits the hole perfectly (or alittle smaller then the hole) and to drill out the selector pin and replace it with a new pin. Is this a good approach or is there something else I can/should do?

Thanks

Christian
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:58:53 PM EDT
Usually a stuck detent will drop out if you wiggle the selector lever enough. Light taps with a no mar may be necessary to get the detent started.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:30:50 PM EDT
[b]Just to double check, sometimes we forget the simple things.[/b] The action has to be cocked before the selector will move to the SAFE position, if it isn't cocked it will not move to SAFE.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:05:45 PM EDT
That true, it never entered my mind.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:09:09 PM EDT
The hole for the safety detent has two diameters, this sets how far the detent will go into the safety selector. Do not drill this part out. I agree with Wingman26 most forget that the hammer has to be cocked so the safety selector can move to the safe position.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 2:37:00 AM EDT
As an armorer here is my suggestion, separate upper from your lower. Remove the grip and spring, then turn the lower upside down and take some 3 in 1 oil and drip it into the hole. Let it set for a few days and then attempt to move the selector, this should free it up. When I build any AR-15 I use Brownells action lube on all pins and selectors, springs etc.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:45:47 PM EDT
I oiled it up yesterday and then I drilled it out and then I replaced it with a slightly smaller pin. It works great now, thanks for all of the replies! :D
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:40:58 AM EDT
that's strange i have a RR lower and have the same problem, just haven't posted it.   i was soaking mine upside down to see if it would loosen up and the detent fall out.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:26:39 PM EDT
Mine was in so tight that I don't think it would have ever come out on its own. But it would have been much either if it came out with oil alone.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 2:15:00 PM EDT
I had to drill mine out a bit to even fit that detent. This was also a RRA lower.
Top Top